Brexit, for once some facts.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
It's rare for me to side with a Tory government, but on this occasion I do.

What the health worker unions are up to at the moment is too often blatant blackmail, taking advantage of the chance to maximise disruption at the most vulnerable time.

The nurses for example are on a minimum of £34,000. plus more for all the extra qualifications they obtain. That is good money already, even in current rising costs, and their claim for a 19% rise is totally unreasonable.

Pointless too, since granting it will just trigger a "me too" spiral of similar claims from all others, putting everyone back into the same position as it causes the equivalent price rises.

As a nation we've repeatedly chosen a government who have impoverished the country to the point where almost all of us are going to be less affluent well into the future.

We now have to live with what we created.
I don’t think anyone expects to receive 19%. That’s the starting point for negotiations. We all know how a negotiation works, you go in high and compromise.

I think the matter should have been referred to ACAS long ago, the pay review body dances to the government’s tune. It’s government biased and the health workers have no confidence in because the government is fundamentally dishonest

It’s my belief that the issue runs deeper. The government wants these strike and they want to poison people’s opinion of unions because they’ve got a terrifying creeping agenda to remove people’s right to withdraw their labour. They’ll do it incrementally by starting with “essential services” and broaden that definition over time.
I think it’s essential the government is defeated. I’m not sure what a reasonable settlement would be, but as flecc has alluded to, the country is poor and can’t afford much.

The other aggravating factor is stories like that of Baroness Mone. Whilst health workers were caring for sick people during the pandemic, often with little or no PPE, people like Mone were making £millions supplying PPE that wasn’t safe for the carers to use. And she didn’t care. She only cared about making money. How must healthcare workers feel when they are only offered a few £hundred rise?

I like to see Mone locked in a cage with a pack of starving wolves. I’d pay to watch that.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I like to see Mone locked in a cage with a pack of starving wolves. I’d pay to watch that.
Not this bit but I agree with the rest, especially the bit about government's agenda, limit the strikes then ban them altogether.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don’t think anyone expects to receive 19%. That’s the starting point for negotiations. We all know how a negotiation works, you go in high and compromise.

I think the matter should have been referred to ACAS long ago, the pay review body dances to the government’s tune. It’s government biased and the health workers have no confidence in because the government is fundamentally dishonest

It’s my belief that the issue runs deeper. The government wants these strike and they want to poison people’s opinion of unions because they’ve got a terrifying creeping agenda to remove people’s right to withdraw their labour. They’ll do it incrementally by starting with “essential services” and broaden that definition over time.
I think it’s essential the government is defeated. I’m not sure what a reasonable settlement would be, but as flecc has alluded to, the country is poor and can’t afford much.

The other aggravating factor is stories like that of Baroness Mone. Whilst health workers were caring for sick people during the pandemic, often with little or no PPE, people like Mone were making £millions supplying PPE that wasn’t safe for the carers to use. And she didn’t care. She only cared about making money. How must healthcare workers feel when they are only offered a few £hundred rise?

You've spelled out at length some of the essence of what government is aimimg for, more complete control over the population.

We've been through this before in the 1970s and '80s. Following WW2 the people voted for a more people biased government and gradually became more assertive, this reaching it's peak in the 1960s when we achieved a people led free culture.

Alarmed at this, governments of both persuasions clamped down, first in th 1970s with IMF control of the economy, strict control over wages and deliberate high unemployment to still further weaken any fight back.

Second, Thatcher took this further with a deliberatel;y provoked recession and full on confrontation with the police in warfare against the major unions.

There is another aspect to this subject, car ownership. Western governments widely regret ever allowing universal car ownership since it gave a degree of freedom and control to the people that has led to nothing but trouble for them ever since. Accordingly they have seen an amazing opportunity to reverse that over time in the climate change issue.

The ban on ic cars (i.e. cheap cars), replacing them with e-cars far beyond the majority of pockets is their solution which they are actively pursuing, combining this with numerous other measures to cut car use and ownership.

I have an argument going on with a member in another thread in another thread which you might be interested in seeing, four posts from me starting with this one.

Reactions: tillson

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Not this bit but I agree with the rest, especially the bit about government's agenda, limit the strikes then ban them altogether.
I wouldn’t want anyone torn apart by wolves, but I’m not a fan on Mone;)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
You've spelled out at length some of the essence of what government is aimimg for, more complete control over the population.

We've been through this before in the 1970s and '80s. Following WW2 the people voted for a more people biased government and gradually became more assertive, this reaching it's peak in the 1960s when we achieved a people led free culture.

Alarmed at this, governments of both persuasions clamped down, first in th 1970s with IMF control of the economy, strict control over wages and deliberate high unemployment to still further weaken any fight back.

Second, Thatcher took this further with a deliberatel;y provoked recession and full on confrontation with the police in warfare against the major unions.

There is another aspect to this subject, car ownership. Western governments widely regret ever allowing universal car ownership since it gave a degree of freedom and control to the people that has led to nothing but trouble for them ever since. Accordingly they have seen an amazing opportunity to reverse that over time in the climate change issue.

The ban on ic cars (i.e. cheap cars), replacing them with e-cars far beyond the majority of pockets is their solution which they are actively pursuing, combining this with numerous other measures to cut car use and ownership.

I have an argument going on with a member in another thread in another thread which you might be interested in seeing, four posts from me starting with this one.
Spot on.

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
I agree with all the above and its all a last desperate attempt to gain influence with the floating voter in the next general election. I bet there are plenty of Brexit and tory voters in the strikes that will still vote tory again!! gasp!

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

[/QUOTEß

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

What did those wolves do to deserve such a punishment?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
@jonathan.agnew - 2 miles slow jogged today, 2 miles of the same yesterday, and 5 miles walked the day before. The night after the walk, I was woken up by both calf muscles and front shins going into agonising spasm suddenly - usually it's just the calf muscles, which means after a stretch using a wall, they can be unlocked. But with the fronts spasming aswell, it took ages for them to settle down on their own. It was so bad I couldn't get onto my feet for ages, but when I did the spasms unlocked eventually, as gravity moved more blood where it was clearly being demanded. Maybe I just need to do more walking and slow jogging - I have largely stopped walking since my bike got electrified in 2020. Before that (bike was in the loft for over a decade), walking (sometimes) 10+ miles a day was no problem at all.

I was posting about the viability of converting a Piaggio Ape 50 to electric last week, and couldn't remember what your motorbike engined with chain, probably easily converted small car with fragile body panels was. Are there any similar cars in production, for easy conversion? The Ape 50 has the advantage of needing just a CBT pass to drive.

There is insurance available for modified cars, such as from this company, which I have never heard of:

I have failed to find detailed schematics for the Piaggio Ape 50 engine and drive axle, but I expect they're kicking around somewhere on the internet. Other interesting conversion candidates, might be some of the Aixam microcars.

It's annoying that so many conversion kits are exorbitantly priced, use closed comms systems and are overcomplicated. @Nealh worked out the price of the cells for a 14kwh battery pack:

A small EV running on 48v, one would use those EVE LFP modules the 280ah ones would make a 14kwh battery for £2250 + bms or the 105ah for 5kwh /£950 +bms.
The prices of electric cars (and conversion kits) are pretty outrageous, considering everyone and his dog is being forced to buy one.

Last edited:
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it would be to unstable like that with the extra waight of the batt.

we made a go cart at school with 2 wheels at front and one at the rear and still managed to roll it and then it was banned from being used.

fkn thing was a death trap tbh.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
it would be to unstable like that with the extra waight of the batt.
The racing Apes have guards under the front to prevent tipping, plus if the battery weight was placed low enough and made flat, it would lower the center of gravity. The vehicle you linked needs to be tilted beyond 56 degrees before it'll roll over.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

loads of used tesla motors on ebay.

My favourite movie is "Fuck Apps With A Vengeance." This motor ships with a controller.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
and why it has a roll cage ;)

tho that sus looks crap and needs a rear wing if it can go 176mph.

look at the price of it wtf lol
For less than that, it looks as though I could buy and convert a Piaggio Ape to electric and include a 14Kwh battery. I think if the pricing and approach was right, every kid over 16 would pass a CBT and want their parents to buy them one. I'm kindof temped to buy one of the many ultra cheap "Unregistered" Ape 50 imports on ebay, convert it, register it, and see how much I can sell it for.

The market for cheap, long range, easily repairable electric cars is far bigger, than similar for electric bikes.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Advertisers