Brexit, for once some facts.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Sadly developed runners knee, started walking on treadmill, its not the same
Is that a muscular or tendon issue? Might it clear up with a bit of rest plus ice and hot water bottle treatments? I've slow jogged another 2 miles just now - doing so on successive days has made my ambling sabre tooth tiger-like grace return, which can't of course be verified due to extinctageness.

• Informative
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It’s not just that. Large swathes of the working population have been groomed to believe that the organisations which fight for worker’s rights and a fair wage are somehow the enemy of the working people. It’s incredibly.
Psiops these days has more arms than Blofeld's logo.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Is that a muscular or tendon issue? Might it clear up with a bit of rest plus ice and hot water bottle treatments? I've slow jogged another 2 miles just now - doing so on successive days has made my ambling sabre tooth tiger-like grace return, which can't of course be verified due to extinctageness.
suspect I injured soft tissue that support knee cap with combination of overuse, fallen arches, overpronation. Though overtense achilles & never warming up probably didnt help (clamber on treadmill after work with degree of dread, desperation and shuffle off like neurotic shoshonensis). Slow jogging may be the solution. But when I reduce speed I hobble more sometimes, get more out of sync (will give it a go). And rest can go with weight gain, which of course doesnt help.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
As the Daleks would have it, "Resistance is futile".

I'm glad I am the age I am. Knowing what I now know I would hate to be facing most of life from this point in time.

I'm fortunate that my life has spanned a period of near constant lifestyle improvements, developments and interest, vastly exceeding any other earlier period in human history and which can never be repeated or exceeded again.

The human race has hit the buffers, onwards and upwards is history, what we unavoidably face now is all downhill, thanks to wrecking our home planet and the scientific limits we are increasingly reaching.
Unless we pull a major rabbit out of a hat? LiFepo4 has very low environmental impact, is much cheaper than lipo (after Elon spectacularly hit his self inflicted buffers he put it in tesla 3). Go completely green and fly on hydrogen?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Slow jogging may be the solution. But when I reduce speed I hobble more sometimes, get more out of sync (will give it a go)
After you've healed up: Slow jogging is a step change, ie smaller steps. If your feet don't land flat, your steps need shortening, which means you can get away with less elevation, hence less impact on joints.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
After you've healed up: Slow jogging is a step change, ie smaller steps. If your feet don't land flat, your steps need shortening, which means you can get away with less elevation, hence less impact on joints.
I had serious issues with both knees. Started with snapped cruciate 25 years ago,... various ops etc.. Cut a long story short, bad arthritis right knee, moderate on other. Seen loads of physios over years, initial NHS ones had me jogging on treadmill.. Terrible. Saw sports physio ( previously employed by English Rugby team).. His advice.. Forget jogging in any description. Get on your bike.
His argument was every impact, now matter how small, tries to push fluid out from between joint. You must do activities which promote production of synovial fluid (not swelling, which is completely different) but don't eliminate it from joint. Cycling.. But not hard and aggressive. Gentle, repetitive fairly high cadence. It's reason I started ebiking in first place. Both knees have been great since.. As long as I don't run/jog.
If knees start to ache, ie after a windsurf session, a long trip out on ebike (2 hrs cycling always in high setting) puts them right for about a week. It's been like this for about 5 years now. I, m fairly sure without ebike I, d really be struggling.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I had serious issues with both knees. Started with snapped cruciate 25 years ago,... various ops etc.. Cut a long story short, bad arthritis right knee, moderate on other. Seen loads of physios over years, initial NHS ones had me jogging on treadmill.. Terrible. Saw sports physio ( previously employed by English Rugby team).. His advice.. Forget jogging in any description. Get on your bike.
His argument was every impact, now matter how small, tries to push fluid out from between joint. You must do activities which promote production of synovial fluid (not swelling, which is completely different) but don't eliminate it from joint. Cycling.. But not hard and aggressive. Gentle, repetitive fairly high cadence. It's reason I started ebiking in first place. Both knees have been great since.. As long as I don't run/jog.
If knees start to ache, ie after a windsurf session, a long trip out on ebike (2 hrs cycling always in high setting) puts them right for about a week. It's been like this for about 5 years now. I, m fairly sure without ebike I, d really be struggling.
Any form of jogging, however slow or "Low impact", will eventually cause me to resume fast walking... trouble is, since resuming cycling I've stopped walking, which has led to atrophy of my calf muscles which now wake me up with intensely agonising cramps after a mere 5 miles of walking - and this only took two years! :eek: This rot ends here! :mad: It's the same when people suddenly start lifting heavy weights too soon: muscles get starved of blood and cramp, which (slowly) leads to growth of blood vessels to supply them, which takes time. Weirdly, slow jogging hasn't led to night calf and shin cramps, yet, but walking 5 miles did. I'll ghost ninja waft step and wander another 2 very slow miles a bit later on. It's very relaxing and enjoyable. But the day will come...

Last edited:
  • Informative

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Don't jog or slow jog, if you think you'll end up with Zlatan's knees.
He is welcome to them. Considering the abuse they, ve had... They, ve done well. One careful owner??
Just to be pedantic, for a change...I don't think jogging causes the issues but if you have problems jogging won't help. (but many physios will tell you otherwise)
We can only say it as we have experienced. If I jogged for 2 miles, following day I, d struggle walking. But, each to his own. Works for you, so that's great.
Between cycling and swimming I seem to be able to keep windsurf capable. Which is acid test for me.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
He is welcome to them. Considering the abuse they, ve had... They, ve done well. One careful owner??
It'll have to be another of your ebay "Cash on collection" deals

• :D
Reactions: Zlatan

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
We can only say it as we have experienced. If I jogged for 2 miles, following day I, d struggle walking. But, each to his own. Works for you, so that's great.
It's good for me, for now. And the lowest impact form of jogging is my mega slow Tai Chi Rinja-Rike version.

Between cycling and swimming I seem to be able to keep windsurf capable. Which is acid test for me.
Pound for pound, swimmers are the strongest people on earth. I tend to sink though... or used to, I'm composed of far more fat than I used to be, so maybe I'll float. As all the best things do.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unless we pull a major rabbit out of a hat? LiFepo4 has very low environmental impact, is much cheaper than lipo (after Elon spectacularly hit his self inflicted buffers he put it in tesla 3). Go completely green and fly on hydrogen?
The essence of my argument about future car ownership, these solutions will only be for the moneyed, like the Porsche fuel for ics mentioned further down.

Mostly pie in the sky anyway, we've had LiFePO4 for many years and it's only better in environmental terms in some applications. IC will go, even for hydrogen, like the railways everything will go electric or disappear if we are to survive on this planet.

Yes, even flying for the masses will eventually be continuously reducing due to more use of high speed long distance rail and bans on unnecessary short distance flying.

The overall message will be far, far less of any sort of travel, since it's travel which is at the core of so many of our environmental problems. We will have to return to a past age when the vast majority lived their whole life around where they were born, using Shanks's pony.

But without the losses back then of course, since modern communications via media like advanced TV etc will still educate and inform about the whole world around. Virtual travel will have to increasingly take the place of most physical travel.

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
The essence of my argument about future car ownership, these solutions will only be for the moneyed, like the Porsche fuel for ics mentioned further down.

Mostly pie in the sky anyway, we've had LiFePO for many years and it's only better in environmental terms in some applications. IC will go, even for hydrogen, like the railways everything will go electric or disappear if we are to survive on this planet.

Yes, even flying for the masses will eventually be continuously reducing due to more use of high speed long distance rail and bans on unnecessary short distance flying.

The overall message will be far, far less of any sort of travel, since it's travel which is at the core of so many of our environmental problems. We will have to return to a past age when the vast majority lived their whole life around where they were born, using Shanks's pony.

But without the losses back then of course, since modern communications via media like advanced TV etc will still educate and inform about the whole world around. Virtual travel will have to increasingly take the place of most physical travel.
Agree, but how many sods would ever spent inflation adjusted 30k to 50k on ordinary car? Or 60k to 90k on a tesla? It was always porsche money, not by any measure normal. Car companies were trying to make it new normal pre-truss in low interest rate environment. With high electricity cost it isnt that or green anymore. Producing 2500kg electric hypercars was perhaps like HS2 good idea (for small demographic of early adopters) but flawed business model (who in right mind really want to pay several hundred quid to get to birmingham in a hurry?). But in happy (dated, but valid, we've all seen lipo prices tumble) Christmas message will I think change

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Any form of jogging, however slow or "Low impact", will eventually cause me to resume fast walking... trouble is, since resuming cycling I've stopped walking, which has led to atrophy of my calf muscles which now wake me up with intensely agonising cramps after a mere 5 miles of walking - and this only took two years! :eek: This rot ends here! :mad: It's the same when people suddenly start lifting heavy weights too soon: muscles get starved of blood and cramp, which (slowly) leads to growth of blood vessels to supply them, which takes time. Weirdly, slow jogging hasn't led to night calf and shin cramps, yet, but walking 5 miles did. I'll ghost ninja waft step and wander another 2 very slow miles a bit later on. It's very relaxing and enjoyable. But the day will come...
Just to be pedantic, for a change...I don't think jogging causes the issues but if you have problems jogging won't help. (but many physios will tell you otherwise)
It seems highly idiosyncratic for me. Read physio advice re slow jogging (maintain muscles to keep weight of joint, it fixed arthritis in shoulder before for me via push ups). But perhaps because of impact doesnt work this way with knees, should cycle really, but that isnt half as cathartic as a hard run.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Once again the confusion of vehicle with cars. As I've already been pointing out, I am posting about private car ownership and use.

Bloomberg's and similar reports are about vehicles, there's a big difference. Vans and company cars used mainly or entirely for work are already switching over to full electric and that will continue. Some types of hire fleets will go electric. So are buses, in London it is ALL bus purchasing only now, and even trucks are switching. Contractor Biffa in Manchester are already using fully electric trucks for refuse collection for example.

But our private car ownership will drastically reduce over time for the following reasons:

The coming ban on ic and environmental threats have already drastically reduced their sales. Diesel cars are being wiped out, petrol car sales have slumped and hybrid sales falling. Only fully electric car sales are rising, but their current prices are prohibitive for the majority and will remain so for a very long time.

All existing private ic cars will over time wear out, crash or be compulsorily scrapped for emission reasons. That will make the low cost car market disappear.

Bloomberg and similar are wrong in my discussion, firstly since they are discussing all vehicles. Secondly because they are speaking world wide and I'm not. Thirdly because they are wrong on prices, we know that from history, they never fall. All that happens is that net income inflation catches up with them.

BUT THIS TIME THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN,

for the simple reason that this time the environmental demands of climate change will not permit it. As we get ever closer to the 2050 deadline, the measures to meet targets will have to become ever harsher, meaning at ever greater cost to our standards of living. This process has already started has it not, just look at your fuel bills over recent years?

And a look at history also shows the lie of falling prices. Coincident with this forum opening lithium batteries arrived for pedelecs, replacing NiMh etc. They were very expensive at the time at £250 for premium batteries, but we were told that prices would fall with greater production and tech advances. Now the premium batteries cost £500 upwards. So much for those falling prices, especially since our incomes have been held down by very low rates of inflation for more than a decade, so certainly haven't more than doubled like the prices of batteries have.

Bloombergs problems, like many forecasters, are they look down a tunnel of their own existence so miss some of the most important factors, in addition to their mistakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: tillson

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It's god for me, for now. And the lowest impact form of jogging is my mega slow Tai Chi Rinja-Rike version.

Pound for pound, swimmers are the strongest people on earth. I tend to sink though... or used to, I'm composed of far more fat than I used to be, so maybe I'll float. As all the best things do.
I used to sink but afraid no longer. But since my last ablation getting back into freediving. (consultant insisted a definite no no whilst in AF) Taking it steady tho.. No really deep attempts. (stay above 30ft).

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I used to sink but afraid no longer. But since my last ablation getting back into freediving. (consultant insisted a definite no no whilst in AF) Taking it steady tho.. No really deep attempts. (stay above 30ft).
Freediving sounds unwise, but it must be reassuring to know you'll float to the top if anything awful happens.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Freediving sounds unwise, but it must be reassuring to know you'll float to the top if anything awful happens.
Certainly unwise whilst in AF but if you stick to your limits its a very safe sport. Been involved with both diving and freediving, potential for fatal accidents I think is way higher in ordinary diving. Embolism and nitrogen bubbles developing in blood (bends) are impossible in freediving
Folk forget air volume doubles between only 30ft and surface when using tanks. A thoughtless rise from 25ft can be your last. Not so when all you, ve got is the lungful you took down with you. (which is half a lungful by 30ft or so). I, ll be playing about just below surface. Some shallow beech reefs in Cyprus.

Reactions: guerney

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
There are lots of alternative chemistries being actively explored .. many using low cost chemicals . Sodium and Sulphur, Aluminium metal . My point is that the concept of rechargeable can also be revised... Aluminium has a very high power density but the waste product is a gloop. It can be remanufactured, not recharged. The way I would see that operating would be exactly the same as Butane gas cylinders .. bring the canister or cartridge back to the garage and get the new one slotted in .. I see hydrogen canisters for air flight similarly... Aluminium bottles with a honeycomb insulating surface and filled with liquid hydrogen at extremely low temperature, then wheeled out to the aircraft at the runway, and then the flight happens . Then the empty bottle is remanufactured ..to be filled for the next flight .. remanufacture would mean resmelting . This is because hydrogen embrittment of metal is a problem .
For static energy storage , magnesium and calcium are cheap metals and make very efficient utility scale batteries

Last edited:

Advertisers