Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
We,ve been making a go of it on our own for years, inspite of EU not because of it. For goodness sake OG just research it properly. Read Mark Carney,s full report. Read Woodruff,Read Hargreaves Lansdown. They all say pretty much same thing.. Stop quoting ,reading, studying the BS fed to you.
"
“Who do we turn to for economic projections and economic policy? We turn to the governor of the Bank of England.

“But we live in a country where a referendum has just been won by people who told us that experts wren’t to be trusted but also that the governor of the Bank of England was biased.”

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Latest from Blunderland Broadcasting Corporation
"
Leave campaigner Nigel Evans has denied immigration will fall after the UK voted to leave the EU. The Conservative MP said there had been some “misunderstanding” over the Leave campaign’s position on reducing immigration.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 live’s Stephen Nolan, he said the Leave campaign’s plan was to “control” immigration and not necessarily reduce it."

So much for Control of Borders.

Any Brexiteers care to defend this betrayal?
Don't rush, as there will be more to come as the confidence trick cloaking device is turned off bit by bit.

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
You're forgetting the Eastern European countries though, they 've been the big attraction for manufacturing and even our farming industry.

And don't forget our few successes don't stay faithful. JCB has a plant and head office here, but the bulk of it's production and many factories are all in other countries, the biggest by far being in India. And all Dyson's production is in China now.

It's all very well having an office here, but the bulk of jobs are in the manufacturing etc, and that's more profitably done elsewhere now.
I'm not suggesting that JCB doesn't have a factory outside the UK, but I fly over the UK sites on a daily basis. They are massive and the yards are constantly full of constantly changing machinery produced there and being exported.

Agree re Dyson though. I don't like him and his move to China for the purpose of turning a good profit into an obscene one at the expense of jobs.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I'm not suggesting that JCB doesn't have a factory outside the UK, but I fly over the UK sites on a daily basis. They are massive and the yards are constantly full of constantly changing machinery produced there and being exported.

Agree re Dyson though. I don't like him and his move to China for the purpose of turning a good profit into an obscene one at the expense of jobs.
It happened to the Company I worked for when it opened a joint venture factory in China and closed the one here blaming the high cost of Gas, and it cost over 400 jobs.

• Informative
Reactions: tillson

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I am pretty convinced that if a second referendum is organised next week or next months, half of the Brexiters will change their mind now. I still am attracted to the Norway model though.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree, Europe is largely supplied from their factories here, but the bulk of what they make is in their 16 overseas factories. Their largest one country production is in India, accounting for almost a fifth of their total earnings. That's what I meant about the losses of jobs to elsewhere, but I don't blame them of course, I'd do the same.

• Informative

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
There are real concerns here in Hull where Siemens are building a huge Factory taking up three of the old docks to build 630 foot Wind farm generators meant to be installed in the biggest windfarm in the world off Hornsea.
And later offered as exports when that is finished.
They have said "We are prepared to continue but we require guarantees and assurances"
I sincerely hope with have more luck with them than we did with Tata, but wonder about the logic of continuing with the Wind Farm Project right now, as we don't really know whether it still makes sense.
If it goes to the wall that will be a major loss for the city and whole area.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I am pretty convinced that if a second referendum is organised next week or next months, half of the Brexiters will change their mind now. I still am attracted to the Norway model though.
No one is going to do that though are they?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
too soon at the moment but give it a year to sink in. 52% of the UK waited a long time for this result, whatever their personal reason. The EU needs fundamental reform too. Our successive governments did not want a two speed Europe. That was a mistake.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm fairly sure the negotiations will end up with a Norway type solution, fundamentally meaning the whole referendum exercise has been a complete waste of time from a Brexit point of view.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: trex

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
It happened to the Company I worked for when it opened a joint venture factory in China and closed the one here blaming the high cost of Gas, and it cost over 400 jobs.
I'm sorry to hear that. It's disgraceful.

I heard Corbyn at his conference this morning. I like quite a lot about this man, in particular his stance on workers rights and fairness of wealth distribution.

I don't trust the rest of his party though, they seem to think that fairness of wealth distribution means penalising those who actually work hard for a living and rewarding those who have absolutely no intention of working, ever. Meanwhile they rub shoulders with the Philip Green's and sneer at anyone who complains.

Corbin needs to exterminate the Harriet Harmans, the Yvette Balls (nee Coopers), the Andy Burnams and other such wastes of human tissue. I might vote for him then.

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and flecc

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Only in the Eastern European countries. Now if the workforce there are not able to come to the UK without restriction, they are going to want better rewards for their labour, maybe forcing companies back to UK .
Not likely but not impossible

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

Well that's not going to happen. What if the vote went the other way, have another referendum? Then another? One more for good luck.

The nation has spoken in a democratic exercise where each vote counts. The result is that the UK will be leaving the EU. Remain, along with the Scottish part of the UK, which they voted to be part of, need to suck that up and accept it.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Well that's not going to happen. What if the vote went the other way, have another referendum? Then another? One more for good luck.

The nation has spoken in a democratic exercise where each vote counts. The result is that the UK will be leaving the EU. Remain, along with the Scottish part of the UK, which they voted to be part of, need to suck that up and accept it.
Yes. Let's not talk like nicky scotch fish.

D. C. And his ilk have poked the working man in both eyes and is now upset because he didn't see the bigger picture..

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The nation has spoken in a democratic exercie where each vote counts. The result is that the UK will be leaving the EU. Remain, along with the Scottish part of the UK, which they voted to be part of, need to suck that up and accept it.
I accept it, but the outcome needs to be fair too. Since over 48% did not agree to leave, that should be reflected in a democracy.

In other words a compromise, and the Norway style solution is just that.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I accept it, but the outcome needs to be fair too. Since over 48% did not agree to leave, that should be reflected in a democracy.

In other words a compromise, and the Norway style solution is just that.
We hear so much about Norway style or Australian style... when all this is over will the rest of Europe's unhappy population be considering a UK style .....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We hear so much about Norway style or Australian style... when all this is over will the rest of Europe's unhappy population be considering a UK style .....
That's already happened, millions of them here and millions of us there! :rolleyes:

The grass the other side etc - - - - - -

Advertisers