Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I mentioned the hospital where I was treated simply because one would expect with so many staff members born in other EU states (about 1 out of 3 are from the EU), you would expect staff to vote to remain but to my surprise, it was the opposite. I still don't understand why.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I mentioned the hospital where I was treated simply because one would expect with so many staff members born in other EU states (about 1 out of 3 are from the EU), you would expect staff to vote to remain but to my surprise, it was the opposite. I still don't understand why.

... My daughter works in a London hospital and the mood there after the referendum was so low and dispairing that the management Trust found it necessary to send out a consoling message stating that they were all valuable and that they would be endevouring to keep them.

Except those few from the commonwealth, the vast majority of the workers in UK hospitals are from the EU, including those born in the UK. And so it will continue for at least another 2 years.

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
... My daughter works in a London hospital and the mood there after the referendum was so low and dispairing that the management Trust found it necessary to send out a consoling message stating that they were all valuable and that they would be endevouring to keep them.

Except those few from the commonwealth, the vast majority of the workers in UK hospitals are from the EU, including those born in the UK. And so it will continue for at least another 2 years.
I don't understand this. Leaving the EU has never been about removing working EU nationals from the UK. No one has ever said that this is going happen and it is just hysteria being whipped up by the sour faced losers who supported remain.

BREXIT has always been about controlling immigration and there is a world of difference between control and expulsion. All that the sour faced remainers have achieved with their lies about immigration is to make decent, honest and hard working people from the EU feel insecure. People from within the EU, and there are many of them, who are performing vital work in the UK are welcome here and they always will be.

It is the remain supporters who are generating the insecurity, fear and unwelcoming atmosphere which EU nationals are experiencing. We have idiots like such as our resident cyber-clown (oldtom) posting images of Adolf Hitler and insinuating that the UK is entering a phase of Nazism similar to that experienced in Germany during the 1930s and 1940s. How stupid, irresponsible and idiotic is that? Just what is the stupid fool trying to achieve? What outcome does such a person desire from this irresponsible action?

I can't fathom what motivates people to publish such Hitler themed garbage as we see from oldtom, but we can see the outcome. He and others of his mentality have succeeded in making decent people feel insecure and unwelcome. What a bunch of ass-holes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Leaving the EU has never been about removing working EU nationals from the UK. No one has ever said that this is going happen and it is just hysteria being whipped up by the sour faced losers who supported remain.
This is untrue, Remain supporters have not been promoting this story.

The origins are entirely among the EU nationals themselves working here, who were shocked and disappointed by the referendum result and became alarmed about their status.

They have been repeatedly reassured by our politicians on both sides of the divide, but the refusal of mainland EU countries to join in with reassurance and make a clear statement ahead of Leave negotiations has still left them nervous. Theresa May's failure to give an advance guarantee has made the position worse. Indeed some EU national working here have become so frightened at the latter that they are planning to go back to their home country.

So the blame applies across the following, the EU nationals scaring themselves after the referendum, the mainland EU governments miserably failing to reassure and Theresa May not having the courage and decency to declare them secure, regardless of what the other EU countries did about our citizens abroad.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
That makes two of us, unless they imagined that it was simply a protest vote against the Government and they didn't expect the result that happened!

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
BREXIT has always been about controlling immigration and there is a world of difference between control and expulsion. All that the sour faced remainers have achieved with their lies about immigration is to make decent, honest and hard working people from the EU feel insecure. People from within the EU, and there are many of them, who are performing vital work in the UK are welcome here and they always will be.
Spinning the same old lies, tut tut! this is nothing to do with the remain voters, where is your evidence to support that?
Trying to evade responsibility for the attitude bandied about by the leave camp is really not going to wash.
The triumphalist attitude of the Leave press has rightly frightened these poor people and no doubt they have either encountered or feel themselves oppressed, and who wouldn't with the non stop lies and propaganda in the Murdoch Press?
Was it a remain voter that wore the "T" shirt
"We won, now send them back?" that the Newspapers chose to decorate their front pages with and appeared on the media too?
How would you feel in their place?
And by the way the "poor faced losers" will prove to be everyone except the well off, not just the remain voters

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

The origins are entirely among the EU nationals themselves working here, who were shocked and disappointed by the referendum result and became alarmed about their status.

They have been repeatedly reassured by our politicians on both sides of the divide, but the refusal of mainland EU countries to join in with reassurance and make a clear statement ahead of Leave negotiations has still left them nervous. Theresa May's failure to give an advance guarantee has made the position worse. Indeed some EU national working here have become so frightened at the latter that they are planning to go back to their home country.

So the blame applies across the following, the EU nationals scaring themselves after the referendum, the mainland EU governments miserably failing to reassure and Theresa May not having the courage and decency to declare them secure, regardless of what the other EU countries did about our citizens abroad.
......and non of this is helped by remain supporters such as oldtom relentlessly attempting to link BREXIT with Adolf Hitler and events in Germany during the 1930s and 40s. Both sides of the divide, remain and BREXIT should be working to reassure EU migrants currently doing valuable work in the U.K. The whole expulsion idea is mainly propagated by remain supporters. BREXIT has had a clear stated aim to control immigration from the outset, and that position is unchanged today.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Spinning the same old lies, tut tut! this is nothing to do with the remain voters, where is your evidence to support that?
Trying to evade responsibility for the attitude bandied about by the leave camp is really not going to wash.
The triumphalist attitude of the Leave press has rightly frightened these poor people and no doubt they have either encountered or feel themselves oppressed, and who wouldn't with the non stop lies and propaganda in the Murdoch Press?
Was it a remain voter that wore the "T" shirt
"We won, now send them back?" that the Newspapers chose to decorate their front pages with and appeared on the media too?
How would you feel in their place?
And by the way the "poor faced losers" will prove to be everyone except the well off, not just the remain voters
Have you been looking at what the cyber-clown has been posting?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
......and non of this is helped by remain supporters such as oldtom relentlessly attempting to link BREXIT with Adolf Hitler and events in Germany during the 1930s and 40s. Both sides of the divide, remain and BREXIT should be working to reassure EU migrants currently doing valuable work in the U.K. The whole expulsion idea is mainly propagated by remain supporters. BREXIT has had a clear stated aim to control immigration from the outset, and that position is unchanged today.
Sorry tillson, no matter how often you repeat a lie, it still remains a lie

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It is a shame is it not that the Government clearly has neither the intention nor the means to control immigration, and in fact will end up having to advertise to get skilled people to come here after making this country as attractive as a land fill site to them.
They have signally failed to control immigration even among the foreigners that they had the power to control for years, why do you imagine that will change?

• Agree
Reactions: Wicky and robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I don't understand this. Leaving the EU has never been about removing working EU nationals from the UK. No one has ever said that this is going happen and it is just hysteria being whipped up by the sour faced losers who supported remain.

It is the remain supporters who are generating the insecurity, fear and unwelcoming atmosphere which EU nationals are experiencing. We have idiots like such as our resident cyber-clown (oldtom) posting images of Adolf Hitler and insinuating that the UK is entering a phase of Nazism similar to that experienced in Germany during the 1930s and 1940s. How stupid, irresponsible and idiotic is that? Just what is the stupid fool trying to achieve? What outcome does such a person desire from this irresponsible action?

I can't fathom what motivates people to publish such Hitler themed garbage as we see from oldtom, but we can see the outcome. He and others of his mentality have succeeded in making decent people feel insecure and unwelcome. What a bunch of ass-holes.
... Whether you understand it or not, I am referring to a particular incident in a major London hospital, and I have no reason to believe my daughter exaggerated or told an untruth.
At the time of the referendum, there were multiple reports of what I would term nationalism from certain sections of UK society. The unease of EU non UK nationals post the referendum has intensived,. While you may find oldtom and oldgroaners posts reporting demands by the immigration department in the UK for "unreasonable" documentation from EU citizens post referendum as scaremongering, can you honestly state that they are unfounded. Again they are either citing real cases or they also are telling untruths.
I will not and do not engage in the internal politics of another state so whether Tories are preferable to Labour or vice versa or whether one group are facists, racists , fellow travellers, Nazi. I will not comment.
The EU position is that the UK leaving is detremental to all of Europe, including the UK, and would like any reductions in service by both sides to be as minimal as possible. Because the UK is the party leaving it is incumbent on it, to spell out how many of the services it currently enjoys it is prepared to retain. But for all of these services there is a quid pro quo.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It's not a lie that people have been whipping up nazi hysteria OG. The evidence is within this thread.
Actually links to the nazis and the Daily Mail are a matter of public record, as were links with Prominent Conservative Politicians at the time. i can provide them if you like, so his comments are not entirely without substance nor are they where they concern the propaganda methods being employed by the press.
When Brexit bites, this is how people will view old tom

Power to the people Tom! sorry about the cigarette, but it is rather a good photo for your fan club

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Verily the "Buck" stops HERE

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The whole expulsion idea is mainly propagated by remain supporters.
I repeat, that is not true. The sequence of events on this issue I've followed throughout and it is exactly as I've stated. The many thousands of EU workers here who have become nervous became so immediately upon the referendum result and clearly said so. They weren't before, since they didn't believe the UK would vote for Brexit, so it was the referendum result that was the trigger for their fear.

Their continued worries since are due to the mainstream media publicised factors I spelled out, absolutely not anything said by remainers, little of which they would have seen anyway.

Advertisers