Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
we can't do "lean mean fighting machine" anymore, and it has been like that for a very long time.
Most of the growth in the last 30-40 years has been consumer led, we have grown fat because of it.
Brexit is like gym. No pain no gain.
And why should the Brexit voter be capable of rising to that challenge?
Do you honestly imagine they will, or that suddenly all the other factors will change for the better?
No chance whatsoever.
Good Government .....Forget it
Competent Management....Don't make me laugh
Investors who are patriotic........hohohohohoho etc.
Willing and skilled workforce.............ditto
Exploit Natural resources..................ditto

Not looking good is it?
By the time any of these factors change it will be far too late to save the day,
Like the TV phone add of Custer at the battle of the little Big Horn
His phone rings
"It's reinforcements!"
The Indians groan and turn away
Custer continues
"And they'll be here Wednesday!"
The indians cheer and attack.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Is it....? Isn't that what a free market economy is all about....letting market forces dictate, etc......ad nauseum?

Tom
.. so I should go down to my local credit union, withdraw my 3k euro, fly accross Ryanair to Cardiff, flog it off in the car park, undercut by offering 25% markup , pocket my sterling, and fly back, making 1k, less flights for a day's work?

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is it....? Isn't that what a free market economy is all about....letting market forces dictate, etc......ad nauseum?

Tom
they can pay with their debit or credit card or use local cash machines.
The premium over median exchange rate is about 3%, not 30%.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
,can countries go bankrupt?
Yes, and we verged on that in the 1970s when the IMF came in to rescue us in the way Danidl mentions.

But many countries have effectively gone bankrupt. It happens when they fail to maintain interest payments on their borrowing and default on repayments to such an extent that the interest rates demanded for loans become too astronomic.

It's something Central and South American countries have experienced in the past, notably Mexico and Argentina.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
.. so I should go down to my local credit union, withdraw my 3k euro, fly accross Ryanair to Cardiff, flog it off in the car park, undercut by offering 25% markup , pocket my sterling, and fly back, making 1k, less flights for a day's work?

That may be a moral dilemma for you but perhaps not for others whose sole motivation is profit.

Tom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Another cut in revenue for Philip Hammond, from next January credit card surcharges will be banned since the government have called them a "rip-off".

Ironically it's government departments who have been some of the worst offenders, HMRC for example surcharging all annual tax payments made by credit card.

Local government too, many surcharge car parking charges paid by credit card.

In fact once again it's the EU that's looking after us with this community wide measure, not our rotten UK governments. Another 19 months and with Brexit we'll be stupidly losing all the good things the EU do for us.

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
For all folk assuming Labour would not have got in with remain manifesto * or wouldn't next time)
Way more people voted remain year Las June than voted conservative this time. And since support for remain has grown.
JC is not being clever at all, he is playing into Tory hands.
Post Brexit it will be too late to support remain.
If Brexit fails voters will just assume Labour would have done same. If Brexit is anything like a success ( or things remain same) Tories will claim responsibility.
JC should have had remain in last labour manifesto. He,s put himself and labour in a complete ineffectual position.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
JC should have had remain in last labour manifesto. He,s put himself and labour in a complete ineffectual position.
Ineffectual enough to win the next election! :D

That will be after the deal on leaving the EU, leaving the Tories to blame for that and him in the clear. What is so bad about that?

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Ineffectual enough to win the next election! :D

That will be after the deal on leaving the EU, leaving the Tories to blame for that and him in the clear. What is so bad about that?
Because that's next election and with same policy on Brexit (when it mattered, before we,ve actually left) why should remainers vote for him next time? They won't..Tory could just as easily do a u turn and attract remain...
Its always next election with labour..

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes, and we verged on that in the 1970s when the IMF came in to rescue us in the way Danidl mentions.
The pound was devalued during the 28 hours I was in the plane from Auckland... :mad: and my money had been transferred to a BNZ account in London the day before :mad:

My first lesson in travel: always convert your money to German Marks...

• Informative
Reactions: robdon and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Because that's next election and with same policy on Brexit (when it mattered, before we,ve actually left) why should remainers vote for him next time? They won't..Tory could just as easily do a u turn and attract remain...
Its always next election with labour..
I'm happy to watch you be wrong this time. ;)

Against Labour's 13 years of government since 1978, the Tories have had exactly double at 26 years.

During that time Labour have had one big black mark against them, Iraq and WMD, but most of the bad news for the electorate's lives has been during those 26 Tory years. And now they've not only caused the Brexit mess, they are promising us more suffering!

I think we are at the point when many of the electorate are finally getting sick of the Tories and seeing their true self-interested greedy nature. They took a knock this time but may get a real kicking next time.

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It is likely that labour will win the next GE.
Their problem will then be delivery of their manifesto.
They won't raise enough taxes to pay for the promises that we know so far.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is likely that labour will win the next GE.
Their problem will then be delivery of their manifesto.
They won't raise enough taxes to pay for the promises that we know so far.
I've never known any government deliver their manifesto and they're never able to raise enough through tax to pay for promises.

Instead they usually deliver half what they promised, paid for by borrowing. The clever bit is in getting right what is done and what isn't, in a pattern that satisfies the voters enough.

• Agree

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Another cut in revenue for Philip Hammond, from next January credit card surcharges will be banned since the government have called them a "rip-off".

Ironically it's government departments who have been some of the worst offenders, HMRC for example surcharging all annual tax payments made by credit card.

Local government too, many surcharge car parking charges paid by credit card.

In fact once again it's the EU that's looking after us with this community wide measure, not our rotten UK governments. Another 19 months and with Brexit we'll be stupidly losing all the good things the EU do for us.
Credit card charges have been falling for years,mainly the EU putting pressure on the banks to charge fairly,this latest deletion on surcharges is something we should give the EU credit for.
When I started in business card charges for small businesses were 3.5%,a few years ago credit cards were 1.4% and debit a flat fee,60p I think. Now credit card is about 0.6% and debit 0.25%, I charged £2.00 surcharge for credit card,nil charge on debit card,mainly as an incentive to use debit cards....that will have to finish but it contributed little to our card bill.
The government and local councils will be the biggest losers....I expect the airlines will get it back....maybe charging for cabin luggage?
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Advertisers