Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
.. you don't have to do any calculation other than addition. Their website gives the audited energy output each month.
they were paid £940,483 for 22,017 MWH for Feb-Apr, averaging £42.71 per MWH.

For comparison, Hinkley is guaranteed £92.50/MWh index linked.
Gas power stations: £62 per MWH

I read somewhere that grid storage makes around £15 / MWH

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
.. you don't have to do any calculation other than addition. Their website gives the audited energy output each month.
Zatlan, you are entitled to dislike a fact, but you cannot disagree with one. Please advise where my fact was wrong or withdraw . Does the website you referred to not include a monthly total of energy output listed by month and would simple addition not tell you the amount of energy over a year. If you show me my error I will apologise

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
they were paid £940,483 for 22,017 MWH for Feb-Apr, averaging £42.71 per MWH.

For comparison, Hinkley is guaranteed £92.50/MWh index linked.
Gas power stations: £62 per MWH

I read somewhere that grid storage makes around £15 / MWH
I don't know how the UK energy market is structured,it may be similar to the all Ireland market, with which I have a little knowledge. So I cannot comment.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't know how the UK energy market is structured,it may be similar to the all Ireland market, with which I have a little knowledge. So I cannot comment.
Quixwood.
it seems that return on investment rockets upward with the height of the turbine.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Headline from the Telegraph this morning demonstrating just how out of touch the Torys and the Telegraph really are
"
Boris Johnson's ally attacks Philip Hammond's plan which could see thousands of EU citizens move to Britain after Brexit.

Could see? who are they kidding, why would this happen? they are LEAVING in Droves!

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Headline from the Telegraph this morning demonstrating just how out of touch the Torys and the Telegraph really are
"
Boris Johnson's ally attacks Philip Hammond's plan which could see thousands of EU citizens move to Britain after Brexit.

Could see? who are they kidding, why would this happen? they are LEAVING in Droves!
The politicians are still lying to the electorate and it seems there are still some out there who are in denial and cannot see what is happening in spite of the evidence of their own eyes.

Tom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think you guys exaggerate the economic downside of brexit.
I reckon we will all be better off to adopt a slower growth, recognize the benefit of a well regulated SM of 500 million consumers and join EFTA, but stay away from the EP.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Danid
This is general info about frais wind farm.
Start Speed: 5 m/s (11.185 mph)
Optimum Speed: 15 m/s (33.555 mph)
Stop Speed: 25 m/s (55.925 mph) Not sure about this farm but know for a fact those in Leucate shut down at 80 kmh/ 50 mph.( I know site manager at Leucate, I suspect all do same to save W and T)

Local Weather Station: BRIDLINGTON MRSC(3292)
Elevation of Weather Station:

Date for Wind forecast: 7/30/2017
Wind Speed at Weather Station: mph
Wind Direction:
Outputratio = 0.00
Output of Wind Farm = 0.0

Notice start speed of 5m/s.
The average windspeed ( including gales when turbine is shut down) is 6.1 m/s.
( at 25m) ( from NEAB)( Windfinder / Windguru/ XC weather all have a lower figure.of circa 7 mph)

At the average wind speed at Fraisthorpe the farm produces 1 /30th of that at optimum. ( There are plenty of graphs showing increase in.power relative to wind speed) You can not assume farm experiences wind at top of blade. The hub height experiences the average, at most 10% higher.
Yes, I,ve learnt to ignore facts that are given to us by quite a few organisations.
Think if you lived by farm you,d be asking same questions and have same disbelief.
A figure of 27% , even though low IMO, can not be explained when the blades are rarely turning..! I think you are being gullible.
You don't need to apologise, we are all misled on occasions.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I think you guys exaggerate the economic downside of brexit.
I reckon we will all be better off to adopt a slower growth, recognize the benefit of a well regulated SM of 500 million consumers and join EFTA, but stay away from the EP.
I'm not too concerned with the Economic Downside as the social disaster of being under an ufettered Fascist Government.
Things might not be so bad if a large proportion of the Electorate didn't have less political savvy than a pheasant has road sense, and keep re electing these incompetent (I'm being kind there) loonies.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We are clearly heading for a soft brexit, which, IMHO, is the best of both.
We have never agreed 100% with the spirit of the Maastricht treaty. We send Farage to the EP and we have never been happy with the European Commission.
Oh I forgot, we always want a rebate.
EFTA membership will solve all these issues for us.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
We have never agreed 100% with the spirit of the Maastricht treaty. We send Farage to the EP and we have never been happy with the European Commission.
Who is this we you keep on about?
Include me OUT
I want to see a United States of Europe, not go back to the Middle Ages, which is where we are headed.
There isn't any prospect for what is after all a small nation like ours, run by and for an Elite who will jump ship with their money when the Swindles run down and they have sold the family silver.
Sorry but you are being Naive imagining that there can be any other outcome than the one that is staring us in the face.
We are not going to be "The Mouse that Roared" commanding a world dominating position.
Just the Mouse that squeaks annoyingly behind the skirting board of Europe.
Hoping someone will leave out some scraps of food that don't contain poison.

Calling Brexit "The Will of the People" is a lie, when actually
Brexit was an exploitation of the FEAR and GULLIBILITY of the people, and ironically what keeps the insanity going is still Fear, but this time it is the Government's fear of the Electorate.

Last edited:

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Falling on deaf ears Woosh as your posts do not appear to make it into the members recent activity section.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Danid
This is general info about frais wind farm.
Start Speed: 5 m/s (11.185 mph)
Optimum Speed: 15 m/s (33.555 mph)
Stop Speed: 25 m/s (55.925 mph)

Local Weather Station: BRIDLINGTON MRSC(3292)
Elevation of Weather Station:

Date for Wind forecast: 7/30/2017
Wind Speed at Weather Station: mph
Wind Direction:
Outputratio = 0.00
Output of Wind Farm = 0.0

Notice start speed of 5m/s.
The average windspeed ( including gales when turbine is shut down) is 6.1 m/s.
( at 25m) ( from NEAB)( Windfinder / Windguru/ XC weather all have a lower figure.of circa 7 mph)

At the average wind speed at Fraisthorpe the farm produces 1 /30th of that at optimum. ( There are plenty of graphs showing increase in.power relative to wind speed) You can not assume farm experiences wind at top of blade. The hub height experiences the average, at most 10% higher.
Yes, I,ve learnt to ignore facts that are given to us by quite a few organisations.
Think if you lived by farm you,d be asking same questions and have same disbelief.
A figure of 27% , even though low IMO, can not be explained when the blades are rarely turning..! I think you are being gullible.
Funny I have often been accused of being gullible or naive , usually be students who attempted to blind me with excuses ... Maybe I am, sure if I was would not I be the last to know?
But back to the case in point. Wind power at a hub height of 100m is considerably different than at even 25 m, where the ground effects of forestry and housing estates dominate. Even at 10 m, the effects of a field of wheat can be noticeable.
The power from a turbine scales as the cube of the wind speed so average wind speed measurements will grossly underestimate the power available. The response times of these turbines is surprising, as they can react in fractions of a second by altering their blade pitch, and or stator currents.
The figure I quoted is from their website, and is presumably from the returns they sent to ofgen. Now these are not a single misplaced digit or number but are consistent over a full year. Unless you are going to allege fraud, ....
The same argument can be made for the siting of that windfarm. The vendors Vestas will probably be happy to site their product anywhere(within reason, they have a worldwide reputation to protect), the farmers or the crown or who ever owns the land will be happy to get a return . The contractors pumping the concrete, and the electrician's installing the interconnects, likewise happy for the work. But the investors putting up the money , who are the clients must have done their due diligence, hired consultants and made their judgements.
If they failed to do so, they were idiots, and fools from their money are soon parted . If they did so and were lied to by their consulting engineers , then they have the courts to turn to for fraud. However if the 27% figure is correct, they are getting a return on investment , and everybody except you is moderately happy.

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Falling on deaf ears Woosh as your posts do not appear to make it into the members recent activity section.
Actually I read everything that Woosh posts with respect... Not necessarily agreement but with respect.

The case for Brexit has long been put , mostly ably by Woosh who has been even more of an optimist than I. His major contention is that Brexit was about autonomy and a British sense of control, and that the negative effects on trade etc would be less significant than others contend. My view is less sanguine.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
@Danidl - the difference between your figures and zlatan's is due to different FIT figure. Zlatan assumed (£72/MWH), which led to his 17% yield.
Fraisthorpe is paid £3,6M, they generated 83,637MHW, roughly about 25% capacity, and were paid £42.91 / MHW
That's quite cheap electricity compared to gas, better still if you can use fairly locally.
Quixwood is nearer to you, on the West coast, should do even better.
Even running at 25% capacity, I have never realized that renewables have such high return on investment.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Funny I have often been accused of being gullible or naive , usually be students who attempted to blind me with excuses ... Maybe I am, sure if I was would not I be the last to know?
But back to the case in point. Wind power at a hub height of 100m is considerably different than at even 25 m, where the ground effects of forestry and housing estates dominate. Even at 10 m, the effects of a field of wheat can be noticeable.
The power from a turbine scales as the cube of the wind speed so average wind speed measurements will grossly underestimate the power available. The response times of these turbines is surprising, as they can react in fractions of a second by altering their blade pitch, and or stator currents.
The figure I quoted is from their website, and is presumably from the returns they sent to ofgen. Now these are not a single misplaced digit or number but are consistent over a full year. Unless you are going to allege fraud, ....
The same argument can be made for the siting of that windfarm. The vendors Vestas will probably be happy to site their product anywhere(within reason, they have a worldwide reputation to protect), the farmers or the crown or who ever owns the land will be happy to get a return . The contractors pumping the concrete, and the electrician's installing the interconnects, likewise happy for the work. But the investors putting up the money , who are the clients must have done their due diligence, hired consultants and made their judgements.
If they failed to do so, they were idiots, and fools from their money are soon parted . If they did so and were lied to by their consulting engineers , then they have the courts to turn to for fraud. However if the 27% figure is correct, they are getting a return on investment , and everybody except you is moderately happy.
Look on the Danish Wind Industry website.
The diameter of the blades at Frais are 112 m. The tip max height is 125 m. Hub height near enough 75 m.

Put in a figure of 6.1 at 25 m...( on their reactive spread sheet) and it gives the following

6.85 m/s at 130 m.
And 6.4 at hub height.
Wind sheer is problematic in that it loads hub unevenly..The important speed is obviously at hub height, but you are over estimating its effect any way...and forgetting fact it is quite possible ( and often case) at coastal sites to have reverse sheer. ( In easterly winds ground air is compressed by land, increasing its speed significantly at ground and up to probably 20 m .
This always creates problems for us as anemometers are always land based. In easterly winds ( at east coast) knock 20% or so off reading for wind at sea...or at height unaffected.( hub heights) The point being these exaggerated easterly readings are all part of that 6.1 m/s reading.

No matter what you explain you cant make it windier than it is at Fraisthorpe.. Average wind at 25m is at absolute most 6.1 m/s. At 120m its still only 6.85...Both figures barely into cut in speed.

Wind farm needs 11.25 mph to just rotate.( their figure) For days and days on end that's more than they get at Frais.

The engineers are selling turbines. The farmer gets grants to build on his land and an income even if turbine only operated at 5%. The government must be seen to be pushing green concepts. All rife for a bit of leeway on silly little thing like wind speed.
Please explain to me how Fraisthorpe can generate 27% of it max out put with average wind 1m/s over (assuming windfinder/ windguru/ XCweather are all wrong) cut in speed.?? ( if we assume those 3 are correct the average is under cut in speed)

Even NEAB argued sites were only viable with over 8m/s ( at 25m). A site with an average of 8m/s can create 75% more power than one with 6...If Fraisthorpe is genuine we could solve all energy issues with a few farms at the over 8 m/s sites. At this reckoning an 8 m/s site could be 102% efficient ?
Plainly it couldn't...and like wise Fraisthorpe is not 27% ....no matter what figures Variable Pitch make up.
And like I said earlier how can 27% be ok ? Only because we have other ways capable of producing 100% of what we need. Its a big con to tick green credentials.

A,lot of years ago a good friend of mine who knows about engines told me ( and everyone else who would listen) that manufacturers were fiddling emmisions on diesel engines...Nobody listened. He has since been proved correct. Now I,m not pretending to know about turbines ( even tho I have engineering and physics qualifications) but I do know about wind. Its actually surprised me how high cut in speed is at Frais...( 11 mph).. I honestly think that is higher than average wind we get here.( I live about 10 miles away) Even allowing for wind shear..
Think we should damn up the river Don in Sheffield and build a hydro electric plant. Its no dafter than a wind farm at Fraisthorpe.
Even if ( which I,m convinced is wrong) the farm achieved 27% its still very poor.
Take care.
Not answering anymore on this subject. Argument has run its course. Call in at Fraisthorpe for a sail..we get about 40 days a year over 13 mph.???!;; Choose one of these and you can watch turbines spinning.

PS ..I wonder if Woosh's point about Fraisthorpe being cheap electricity is a way of fiddling the MWH figure. They got a certain £amount, if electricity is cheap they can up the MWH..
Coincidence my pricing gives a 17% figure and that it seems cheapest price in country per MWH ??? Only saying ???
Perhaps they paid Hinckley price...figure would be around 12% then ??
Why should price per mwh be so cheap...because its up north ?
Something is wrong.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
@Danidl - the difference between your figures and zlatan's is due to different FIT figure. Zlatan assumed (£72/MWH), which led to his 17% yield.
Fraisthorpe is paid £3,6M, they generated 83,637MHW, roughly about 25% capacity, and were paid £42.91 / MHW
That's quite cheap electricity compared to gas, better still if you can use fairly locally.
Quixwood is nearer to you, on the West coast, should do even better.
Even running at 25% capacity, I have never realized that renewables have such high return on investment.
I am not going to comment on the UK electricity market, .. it may operate with different rules to the all Ireland energy market, which is now in jeopardy, as a consequence of Brexit.
The only figures I am taking at face value are the monthly production figures in megawatt hours. I am assuming they are not fraudulent. If these are sold onto a spot market, rather than as part of a guaranteed baseload , the prices per megawatthr can vary vastly depending on demand. So price is not a good measure of actual production.
There is a reason why pension funds are investing in them. But and it must be stated, as the fraction of wind energy increases, so it's incremental value drops unless energy storage occurs.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
unless energy storage occurs.
I can see an emerging market for small operators buying electricity when it's cheap, store it locally and sell it as fast charging provider for electric vehicles.

Advertisers