Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
But your maths no longer makes sense on this Flecc. If majority of Labour are leavers, as are,UKIP, as are Tory that is way more than the real support leave has now got.???

And IMHO we may never know how many actually support remain now, because no party is actually offering remain as a policy. Somebody must dip their toe in the water, come out and say " We would remain" and test if there is a ground swell of voters/ public backing that statement. If nobody does it may well be totally hypothetical.
Nothing will stop Brexit now, everything will proceed as anticipated , though fun to watch and debate there are no factors in sight to prevent the inevitable, are there?
Here is an old but funny video that sums up quite well Political attitudes at the moment

Reactions: oldtom and robdon

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
  • Dislike
Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So the labour policy is to lock the stable door after the horse has left eu? How on earth is that justified ?

The time to state your true feelings,policies and wishes is now. Labour saying "well we didn't really want to leave" after art50 implemented is bad enough but saying so after we,ve left is utterly stupid. What on earth is Corbyn doing? He must take as much blame for this fiasco as Tory leaders.
Why hasn't he actually opposed the government on anything ?
By the time JC / labour actually say they are remainers chances are we will be out. Will the political climate be such they can get power on a manifesto pledge of returning ? I doubt it.
Carpe diem and all that...
They're politicians, they don't care about the outcome, just so long as the other lot get the blame.

If JC gets too involved in Brexit policies, he could also come in for the blame for the Brexit outcome if it all goes wrong. So he wisely stands back and keeps as quiet as possible on the subject, leaving TM, Davis, Johnson, Gove et al to take all the flak.

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
They're politicians, they don't care about the outcome, just so long as the other lot get the blame.

If JC gets too involved in Brexit policies, he could also come in for the blame for the Brexit outcome if it all goes wrong. So he wisely stands back and keeps as quiet as possible on the subject, leaving TM, Davis, Johnson, Gove et al to take all the flak.
.. but he loses the most powerful words a politician can utter ..."I told them not to do it and they did it etc"

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Nothing will stop Brexit now, everything will proceed as anticipated , though fun to watch and debate there are no factors in sight to prevent the inevitable, are there?
Here is an old but funny video that sums up quite well Political attitudes at the moment
.. that is a brilliant sketch, unfortunately it could probably be aired today as a valid political comment,

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So you're now admitting that the idea of leaving the EU is a crazy one?
I voted to remain but since realizing that brexit did not hurt my business and probably won't in the future, I started supporting the idea of brexit.

There is an article in the Guardian comparing brexit with Concorde.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/political-science/2017/jul/21/concorde-was-the-flying-brexit-a-different-era-but-the-same-mistakes

You may enjoy reading it.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

And in power.!

I voted to remain but since realizing that brexit did not hurt my business and probably won't in the future, I started supporting the idea of brexit.
You don't think that might be a bit selfish? Just because "it doesn't hurt your business" doesn't mean its a bad idea for everyone else.

And how can a shrinking economy be good for your business?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And how can a shrinking economy be good for your business?
shrinking economy? the jury is still out.
there is a whole load of other issues beside the economy.
Housing, traffic, social cohesion etc.

• Disagree
  • Dislike
shrinking economy? the jury is still out.
there is a whole load of other issues beside the economy.
Housing, traffic, social cohesion etc.
You're obsessed with missing even your own point.

We're talking about your business... these were your words. You're now pro brexit because it won't have a negative impact on your business.

How can housing / traffic and social cohesion have an impact on your business?? So you're just talking about economy not me.

Jury, still out? really..

https://ig.ft.com/sites/numbers/economies/uk

OBR predicts growth will slow in 2017 and 2018 as businesses delay investment plans and household incomes start to be squeezed by rising inflation.

The vast majority of economists expect the decision to leave the EU to hit growth in the medium to longer term.

• Agree
It's what JC wants of course, I repeat, Brexit is a poisoned chalice that will harm whoever carries it out. The last think JC wants is to have to negotiate it.
I think JC managed to achieve what the "Leave" campaign leaders wanted, ie to loose, but only just. Meaning they can carry on, without any of the pressure of actually doing anything, so you can always claim your ideas were better without ever being able to prove it.

The problem for "Leave" is they won, so now have to actually do something positive, which already they seem to be failing at.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
.. but he loses the most powerful words a politician can utter ..."I told them not to do it and they did it etc"
The time to do that was before the referendum by doing everything to stop it, but all the politicians were confident Remain would win and almost all were Remainers anyway.

That meant there was nothing to argue about, until they all came unstuck.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Woosh

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It's what JC wants of course, I repeat, Brexit is a poisoned chalice that will harm whoever carries it out. The last think JC wants is to have to negotiate it.
If he got in on a remain policy he wouldn't need to negotiate anything..or are you saying he would not get power with a remain manifesto ???

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You're obsessed with missing even your own point.

We're talking about your business... these were your words. You're now pro brexit because it won't have a negative impact on your business.

How can housing / traffic and social cohesion have an impact on your business?? So you're just talking about economy not me.

Jury, still out? really..

https://ig.ft.com/sites/numbers/economies/uk

OBR predicts growth will slow in 2017 and 2018 as businesses delay investment plans and household incomes start to be squeezed by rising inflation.

The vast majority of economists expect the decision to leave the EU to hit growth in the medium to longer term.
I knew very well all the arguments for remain before the EURef.
At first, the economic forecast was wrong.
Next, the polls consistently reported that few changed their view.
Then the inflation is a bit better than forecast, and now starts to reduce, ie the effect of the cheap pound is waning sooner than expected.
If the government confirms that they are seeking 3-4 years transition, the Pound will recover a bit more.
look at both sides.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
That is 52€ with a 60% tariff, add in your 100% mark up 104€, two months pocket money for a poor student, 1 weeks pocket money for a well off one. Decathlon bikes start at 169€. Where is the problem with 60% anti-dumping duty? You are still at 66% of current EU prices for cheap city bikes.

The Decathlon bike will have a frame made in Portugal or Poland and be assembled in Poland thus creating jobs and wealth in the EU as well as a comfy profit margin for a multinational corporation based in France. They emploi 70,000 people most of them in the EU. On the other hand your bike will create jobs in China, jobs for logistics between China and the UK, profit for ebay (American gangsta...) and your profit margin.

That is the future you see for the UK post brexit? Few to no jobs created and profit margin on trade alone?
That is the reality now and always has been. The UK has always been a trading nation,we import from the world,add value and sell. Look back to the East India Company,we imported tea,spices,silks,porcelain,we swopped it for guns and opium....no change really,we cuddle up to the Saudis because they buy lots of arms of us.
Spend a day at Felixstowe and watch the ships unload containers from Asia.
But we are good at trading,we are a wealthy country who can afford to buy in bulk and sell onto others who buy in smaller quantities.
The latter is the real danger of Brexit,will the Germans,Dutch and Italians start bulk buying if the UK becomes less easy to trade with and less competitive,its just as easy to unload a container at Rotterdam than Felixstowe.
Sorry but the UK is finished for manufacturing,I buy alloy wheels from a manufacturer in China,he has invested hundreds of millions in fully auto wheel plant,OEM to Toyota and Lexus,compare that to a well known UK wheel manufacturer who moves wheels between ancient machinery on wheelbarrows!!!!
Yes our future is innovation and trade and Brexit is about to make that a lot more difficult.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
If he got in on a remain policy he wouldn't need to negotiate anything..or are you saying he would not get power with a remain manifesto ???
JC is playing a clever game,let TM destroy the Tories on Brexit,then come in as a white knight to sort out the mess....would be interesting the content of the private chat he had with Barnier?
He could slide over to a remain manifesto when Brexit looks like a disaster,its too early to do that,it hasnt hurt enough yet.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Advertisers