Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've flew off the west coast of Scotland for many years and you can get long periods of calm, even at heights between 1000 - 5000 ft AMSL.When there is no wind, there is no gradient. There is some beneficial gradient between sea level and 200 M when the wind is blowing, but it's a question of what we do when it isn't.
Between late June and September 1976, the whole of Britain was like that with a huge stationary high pressure over us. Any time that happens again, dependance on wind will spell disaster for months.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Will the UK be a nice place for EU and UK nationals post Brexit....I have just been to my local hospital for a health check. The lovely Spanish nurse who did my screening said it was her last week in the UK,she had accepted a job in Germany with her English husband,an NHS doctor,both on a better salary but as important she felt that Germany was a frendlier place to bring up their kids.
Hope the Brexiters are happy what they are achieving,it seems the best people are leaving and not waiting for March 2019,they are leaving now...she told me the hospital is now critically short of staff.
She also said it is not just the EU nationals are leaving but UK staff who see better prospects elsewhere and hate the direction our country is heading,I cant repeat what she thought of Jeremy Hunt.
KudosDave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Will the UK be a nice place for EU and UK nationals post Brexit....I have just been to my local hospital for a health check. The lovely Spanish nurse who did my screening said it was her last week in the UK,she had accepted a job in Germany with her English husband,an NHS doctor,both on a better salary but as important she felt that Germany was a frendlier place to bring up their kids.
Hope the Brexiters are happy what they are achieving,it seems the best people are leaving and not waiting for March 2019,they are leaving now...she told me the hospital is now critically short of staff.
She also said it is not just the EU nationals are leaving but UK staff who see better prospects elsewhere and hate the direction our country is heading,I cant repeat what she thought of Jeremy Hunt.
KudosDave
Leaving the EU is just continuing our long term trend to becoming a third world nation with first world weapons and pretensions.

With food banks and a failing NHS, our problem will be finding enough healthy, well nourished people to man the weapons.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
KudosDave
I'm currently sat at my very ill mother's bedside at an NHS hospital. We do not want to have NHS staff of any nationality leaving the UK. The care and support they provide to patients and relatives is humbling.

Our governments are not fit to speak the words Health Service or to associate themselves with any of the good work that is done there.

I can see massive wate taking place though, but that's not the fault of the front line staff.

Last edited:

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Did it rhyme?
Almost certainly! If you remember James Hunt, the F1 driver, he was frequently referred to as 'Hunt the shunt' on account of his propensity to collide with other drivers particularly during his apprenticeship years in the lower orders of formula racing.

In people's minds, searching for an appropriate rhyming appellation in Jeremy's case, there was no need to look as far as the 19th letter of the alphabet....judging from what I have heard at central London demos.

Tom

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'm currently sat at my very ill mother's bedside at an NHS hospital. We do not want to have NHS staff of any nationality leaving the UK. The care and support they provide to patients and relatives is humbling.
'Tillson', I agree entirely with your sentiments there and I sincerely hope your mum overcomes her present difficulty.

Tom

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

Our governments are not fit to speak the words Health Service or to associate themselves with any of the good work that is done there.

I can see massive wate taking place though, but that's not the fault of the front line staff.
My sympathy, having been in a very similar situation recently...

Reactions: robdon and tillson

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Between late June and September 1976, the whole of Britain was like that with a huge stationary high pressure over us. Any time that happens again, dependance on wind will spell disaster for months.
That was a serious situation, and alternative energy enthusiasts need to be conscious of a possible reoccurrence. Hence the requirement for pan european and intercontinental power networks... Which brings us back neatly to Brexit.
We should be better positioned nowadays than 40 years ago. Those conditions were very suited to solar PV, . The energy requirement are lesser in the summer anyway. Anyway the point being made was that a variety of sources and resources are necessary.

Reactions: robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
KudosDave
A significant fraction of the staff in the London hospital where my daughter works, were in tears and shock in the days following the referendum , and I suspect were then making up their minds. The level of invective in public utterances at the time was such that no amount of placating talk now will alter plans.
What one sows one reaps

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
Almost certainly! If you remember James Hunt, the F1 driver, he was frequently referred to as 'Hunt the shunt' on account of his propensity to collide with other drivers particularly during his apprenticeship years in the lower orders of formula racing.

In people's minds, searching for an appropriate rhyming appellation in Jeremy's case, there was no need to look as far as the 19th letter of the alphabet....judging from what I have heard at central London demos.

Tom
imagine something like runt or stunt, given his stint as health minister, or front or "treasure hunt" as minister for Murdoch; couldn't have been anything rude..

• :D
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I know all that, but the rate at which we consume energy means that the storage facility would need hundreds of colossal storage sites for the times when the wind doesn't blow for days or weeks. I doubt we've got enough mountains to build storage lakes on top of anyway. This type of mechanical storage is limited to smoothing out peaks and troughs in the demand placed on a stable base energy supply.

Tidal energy generation has more merit. I know the Earth and moon will rotate around each other with relative certainty for the foreseeable.
.. this is a circular argument. The reason why current storage is adapted to short term leveling of supply is because this currently provides the best return on investment. IE is economically viable, provides more bang per buck.
There are very few instances of where tidal barrages have been installed to date .. the Rance estuary in Brittany being one. They are very expensive, as many massive civil engineering tend to be. .. there are as with all other alternative energy solutions only a limited number of suitable locations likewise the same with deep well geothermal .... .
The same will be true for solar arrays, and all other technologies.
No-one with any knowledge of the renewable energy market or technologies is advocating putting all ones eggs in one basket , but it makes sense to go for the low hanging fruit first, and that is where wind energy is now. It is a mature technology, the three bladed horizontal wind turbine is a reliable technology, does not absorb much landmass, is suited for terrains which cannot be used for other productive purposes and has a good lifetime. All the materials used are recyclable. What's not to like?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We are an island with all land close enough to the sea, the furthest being 70 miles, so don't have that problem. All our nuclear stations present and future are coastal.
.. my point was the obvious one that there was an unintended and unexpected consequence weather related, from what was expected to have been the most weather impervious form of energy.

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
Leaving the EU is just continuing our long term trend to becoming a third world nation with first world weapons and pretensions.

With food banks and a failing NHS, our problem will be finding enough healthy, well nourished people to man the weapons.
on the plus side I wonder whether this realisation is, finally, begin to dawn on the electorate, whether voter sentiment is slowly, glacially shifting, one might hope we might reach some kind of tipping point where we can publicly recognise what a crap idea it was before we all abandon ship

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I,ve been out sailing all day at Fraisthorpe ! I could not answer Danid any better than Tillson did, whose reply about our erratic wind in UK was ( IMHO) right.

However, to add my thoughts.
Yes the wind in Uk is erratic , with reference to the subject.ie) its too erratic to build our energy production , even too a small degree,on it.

But just to explain further. On my return today first thing neighbour said was " bet you,ve had a great day, its been windy"...To the casual observer he was right.
Sort of.
On arrival at beach around 9.30 this morning, in lee of turbines,there was a perfect 20 to 25 mph wind. For me that represent a 5.7 square metre sail, which I started to rig. By time it was rigged wind had dropped to 15 mph, requiring a 7 metre sail and a,larger board. Had 20 mins on this...then wind dropped to sub 10 mph...20 minutes later...wind back to 25 mph.( Back on 5.7) This was pattern all day and is typical of a days sailing in Uk..By 4pm I,d swapped and changed at least 3 times but managed 38 miles distance and 32 mph Vmax ( so not a bad day) As usual ( for UK) the wind varied with the amount of cloud cover, lots of cloud ..almost zero wind, nice and bright...plenty. Basically we had in any hour 20 mins sub 10, 20 mins 25 and 20 mins 15..Erratic.
This by the way represents one of the 40 to 50 sailable days, or days when turbines are productive. To the casual observer a windy day, if dependant on wind for power, either electricity or on a board , its slightly different.
In comparison a days sailing in Leucate, Canaries, Tarifa would generally involve no sail changes and a relatively steady wind. (My PB for distance/ speed in Leucate is 68 miles, Vmax 42.6 mph( from GPS) in wind that is not erratic. ( I use a 4.2 metre sail generally in Leucate, again just to give an insight into wind in other places. Its not unknown for windsurfers to get 200 days sailing in a single year in Leucate, you would do well to get 45 in Fraisthorpe.( planing sailing)
My point being windsurfers need almost exactly same wind speed as Turbines do.
No matter how you assess it Fraisthorpe should not have a wind farm. Its crazy.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tillson

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Sun
"
BREXIT WILL NOT HAPPEN'
Top EU leader calls for a second referendum to reverse the Brexit result and says ‘everyone will lose’ by Britain quitting the bloc

Maltese Prime Minister, Joseph Muscat, called on politicians in Britain to call for a second referendum to overturn last year's result

The readers comments are as usual positive
"
vindi62 2 hours ago
Rivers of blood brings to mind should ANYBODY try to stop Britain leaving the corrupt eu. This time it will not be the high street shop owners who will feel the wrath of the people, I feel it will be politicians and multi-national companies turn. Our unelected PM shares the blame if we don't pull out of the eu.

The feeling seems to be that they OWN the right to insist on an irrevocable move on the basis of a 4% majority between two factions of the public and that this cannot be challenged.
Strange that the Previous Referendum on the EU was not somehow sarosanct.
As to the "Rivers of Blood" reference, that could indeed be the way this debacle ends up unless hot heads like this one can be convinced not to act like fractious children
Wrath of the People? really? like the dozen that turned up outside the law courts?

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
From the Sun
"
BREXIT WILL NOT HAPPEN'
Top EU leader calls for a second referendum to reverse the Brexit result and says ‘everyone will lose’ by Britain quitting the bloc

Maltese Prime Minister, Joseph Muscat, called on politicians in Britain to call for a second referendum to overturn last year's result

The readers comments are as usual positive
"
vindi62 2 hours ago
Rivers of blood brings to mind should ANYBODY try to stop Britain leaving the corrupt eu. This time it will not be the high street shop owners who will feel the wrath of the people, I feel it will be politicians and multi-national companies turn. Our unelected PM shares the blame if we don't pull out of the eu.

The feeling seems to be that they OWN the right to insist on an irrevocable move on the basis of a 4% majority between two factions of the public and that this cannot be challenged.
Strange that the Previous Referendum on the EU was not somehow sarosanct.
As to the "Rivers of Blood" reference, that could indeed be the way this debacle ends up unless hot heads like this one can be convinced not to act like fractious children
Wrath of the People? really? like the dozen that turned up outside the law courts?
I don't think it would ccreate that much angst if we had another referendum, with the proviso that a larger majority should be insisted upon...and if not attained we follow result of last referendum.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I don't think it would ccreate that much angst if we had another referendum, with the proviso that a larger majority should be insisted upon...and if not attained we follow result of last referendum.
Why? surely it would be more logical to revert to the status Quo if the vote for leaving does not reach the required level, not the other way round.
The legitimacy of the last Advisory referendum has been blown to pieces in the light of events.

It was based on lies with no plan and the electorate had no real notion of what it entailed or what it will cost them, and they still don't!
Simply a stab in the dark polluted by lies and false promises, and years of Blaming the EU fro our incompetent Governents of all shades.

There should be an all party inquiry into all aspects of this decision to leave and then
There should be full disclose of the facts and consequences involved, and the press should be told to report only facts from this source not propaganda.
Then run it again with the same question, with the two to one level in force.
This time without the lies and promises and actually legally binding.

Alternatively take the "FUN" course and drive the nation into Penury and disorder, Poverty and suffering for the poor by letting it all turn into a Glorious Disaster on an Epic scale.
"Cry Will of the people! regain our Sovereignty! Close our Borders"

While people wave union jacks and starve in the Streets.

Last edited:

Advertisers