Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
"37 million packets of medicines every month from the EU worth £18.3 billion"
I can't see the EU wanting to give up £18.3 billion a month in a hurry.
Is that the level of understanding that you have?

When people have been good enough to explain the situation, that is the only response you can come up with?
Do you think we can use that fact to bluff the EU and force them into a bargain to our advantage?

Talk about some fell upon stony ground and did not prosper.
It's a complex problem and we stand to lose out of we cannot reach a compromise.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Is that the level of understanding that you have?
When people have been good enough to explain the situation, that is the only response you can come up with?

Talk about some fell upon stony ground and did not prosper.
Well we will have to wait and see won't we.
Just like all your other predictions of doom and gloom,

• Agree
Reactions: Fingers

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Well we will have to wait and see won't we.
Just like all your other predictions of doom and gloom,
Once again, these are not MY predictions of Doom and Gloom they come from the Government you are expecting to make Brexit work.
This is just another of the myriad things that nobody anticipated
Even though the cry was "We know what we voted for"
You hadn't a clue had you , and what you thought you were going to get is further away that the Moon.

Can you really still be green enough to stick to that belief?

Does each new problem emerging fill you with confidence in the Government trying to sort out this mess, and what they are doing with your Brexit?

What kind of a future prediction is "We will have to wait and see?"
Rather like standing on the deck of the Titanic and hoping the sea isn't so deep it goes under.

If you read my postings you would find that I actually predicted that a deal of sorts would be worked out and we would struggle on somewhat worse off, and people would be up in arms about that.
Not that there would be a Disaster.
The real loss will be a Loss of Social progress and rights and privileges, and influence in international affairs not mere money.

Brexit will set us back for at least a generation, and clear the way for Europe to develop in directions not necessarily in our best interests.

The leave Camp are now reduced from saying we have a Glowing future to saying it "Won't be the end of the World if we don't get a deal"

How big a hint do you need things are going wrong?
Which part of society are you expecting to make sacrifices?
It won't be the policians and the rich will it?

We surrendered our power and influence over the affairs of Europe to make the Elite class here better off at our expense
There is nothing worth having on offer of any kind whatsoever intended to come in your direction...ever...

Last edited:
  • :D
  • Agree
Reactions: Fingers and oyster

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Once again, these are not MY predictions of Doom and Gloom they come from the Government you are expecting to make Brexit work.
This is just another of the myriad things that nobody anticipated
Even though the cry was "We know what we voted for"
You hadn't a clue had you , and what you thought you were going to get is further away that the Moon.

Can you really still be green enough to stick to that belief?

Does each new problem emerging fill you with confidence in the Government trying to sort out this mess, and what they are doing with your Brexit?

What kind of a future prediction is "We will have to wait and see?"
Rather like standing on the deck of the Titanic and hoping the sea isn't so deep it goes under.

If you read my postings you would find that I actually predicted that a deal of sorts would be worked out and we would struggle on somewhat worse off, and people would be up in arms about that.
Not that there would be a Disaster.
The real loss will be a Loss of Social progress and rights and privileges, and influence in international affairs not mere money.

Brexit will set us back for at least a generation, and clear the way for Europe to develop in directions not necessarily in our best interests.

We surrendered our power and influence over the affairs of Europe to make the Elite class here better off at our expense
There is nothing worth having on offer of any kind whatsoever intended to come in your direction...ever...
Will we still loose all our rights and privileges if Jeremy (Eurosceptic)
Corbyn is the next prime minister ?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Will we still loose all our rights and privileges if Jeremy (Eurosceptic)
Corbyn is the next prime minister ?
Yes, perhaps not so many to do with working conditions perhaps but obviously many international rights re Europe are out of the window , and you can be sure that any trade deals will have immigration freedoms and having to comply with Foreign courts too.
As to whether Corbyn can re industrialise the country, in all honesty I doubt that anyone can do that in time for it to save the day.
It would take a Clement Attlee to handle Brexit and make it work, do you think Corbyn is in that class?

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Don't worry. When wanting a necessary prescription medication without my doctor's approval I ordered from Canada and they got both the prescription and supply from India sent to me.

Money makes anything available.
sounds like free trade

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I don't know how many people are on this forum but it seems that there are only a handful who agree Flecc
That while true isn't the whole story
This is
Replies:
Views:
Though in jest I suspect that 800, 000 of those views are from the Splendid Guys and Gals at Menwith Hill

"Felicitiations Y'all!";)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know how many people are on this forum but it seems that there are only a handful who agree Flecc
A lot more than you perhaps think. Those who like the EU membership don't necessarily post in the Brexit thread.

Take the many members past and present who spend lots of time on the continent. Many even have properties and/or relatives there, and they all enjoy the freedom of movement and the existence of the euro and the freedom that gives.

They really don't want to lose those advantages to gain a fictitious sovereignty and an outside chance that others will trade more with us to our advantage.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Don't worry. When wanting a necessary prescription medication without my doctor's approval I ordered from Canada and they got both the prescription and supply from India sent to me.

Money makes anything available.
I am well aware of the possibility of buying many medicines from websites which appear to be in Canada. (Whether they are in Canada or not is another matter.) There are certain well-known other countries which supply quite a lot of desired medicines. :)

One of the issues (other than price) for the medicines that some thyroid patients take is that swapping makes just is not acceptable. Some can jump from one to another with little or no impact. Others find one make more, or less, potent than another. Or some makes cause unpleasant side effects. There has been little research into this. One suggested issue is the inclusion of lactose in most of them. However, in France they

Having eventually found that one German make is better for them than any other, they want to stick with it. And that make is rarely, if ever, available without prescription.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
  • Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the EU has a lot more to gain with a free trade deal, especially if the UK joins temporarily EFTA during the 2 years transition.
I wouldn't worry about claims of disruptions to car and drug manufacturers supply chains. Even with a Canada type deal, manufacturers can continue to export cars to the EU without much problem. It won't be the UK to hold back EU's lorries bringing goods in.Apparently, ROI is asking the EU to allow sealed truckloads to cross the UK unchecked to reduce congestion.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Look closer, that's trade in goods but doesn't include Services which are the vital part for us. Extract:

A surplus of £28 billion on trade in services was outweighed by a deficit of -£95 billion on trade in goods.

Not so good now is it?
we won't be losing all of it though.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Albeit illicit.
We are allowed to buy and import prescription-only medicines (other than controlled drugs), for the use of ourselves and our household. (Household does not appear to be defined anywhere! Definitely not clear whether or not our pets are covered.)

Anything illicit would be the supplier breaking their laws.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
the EU has a lot more to gain with a free trade deal, especially if the UK joins temporarily EFTA during the 2 years transition.
So we go from today's uncertainty to a temporary EFTA membership, to something else - all within about two years? That represents a huge amount of both uncertainty and change. Not at all sure we will be able to manage it - either in the sense of achieving the changes or that of being in control of them.

Advertisers