Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I might add that brexit is seen as a very English thing, not a a UK thing. The Scots and the Irish voted against. (The DUP is seen as an extreme right lunatic fringe more English than Irish).
I suspect the Welsh might regret their vote and, as I have said before, I have added a vote for remain by moving here.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
This is what a vote for Brexit really meant
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/18/rightwing-thinktanks-unveil-radical-plan-for-us-uk-brexit-trade-deal-nhs
A radical blueprint for a free trade deal between the UK and the US that would see the NHS opened to foreign competition, a bonfire of consumer and environmental regulations and freedom of movement between the two countries for workers, is to be launched by prominent Brexiters.

The blueprint will be seen as significant because of the close links between the organisations behind it and the UK secretary for international trade, Liam Fox, and the US president, Donald Trump.

Its publication follows a week of policy launches by the European Research Group of Conservative MPs designed to pressurise the prime minister into “chucking Chequers”, her softer Brexit proposal, in favour of a harder, clean break from the European Union.

In other words a bonfire of the NHS and workers rights, and far from cancelling free movement, restricting it to free movement with the USA.
So much for the joke "We knew what we were voting for"
I can just imagine before long UKIP changing sides, wanting freedom from American Domination and claiming
"Trump will want to solve his problem with illegal aliens by foisting them on us"

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Still the lies go on!

This is Rory Stewart OBE FRSL FRSGS and he was caught bang to rights, lying on air.
181117-Rory-Stewart.jpg Apparently, (I didn't know this), there is a ministerial code which requires such people to be honest and the former soldier, (a short-service limited commission,1991-1992), went on to university before joining the UK Diplomatic Service before expanding his CV in other areas.

If you don't know what the letters after his name mean, you can look them up - I got the first two but not the last one!

Anyway, you can read the tale on the attached link, courtesy of 'VoxPolitical':

this-torys-lie-shows-exactly-why-their-brexit-deal-must-be-rejected

Tom

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
A little literary moment
I liked that. :)

I tried to post an image of that in response to your post but something is going horribly wrong with images on this site - for me. I suspect it is the various ad-blocking and third-party blocking, etc., but images you post appear as

Reactions: robdon

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Still the lies go on!

This is Rory Stewart OBE FRSL FRSGS and he was caught bang to rights, lying on air.
View attachment 27718 Apparently, (I didn't know this), there is a ministerial code which requires such people to be honest and the former soldier, (a short-service limited commission,1991-1992), went on to university before joining the UK Diplomatic Service before expanding his CV in other areas.

If you don't know what the letters after his name mean, you can look them up - I got the first two but not the last one!

Tom
Deceptive behaviour, again. Felllow of The Royal Scottish Geographical Society (RSGS) "is an educational charity which promotes an understanding of natural environments and human societies, and how they interact. Our vision is to create better stewards of our world, by informing and inspiring individuals about the interplay between people, places and the planet."

Honorary Fellowship (FRSGS)

An Honorary Fellowship is awarded in recognition of services to the Society and to the wider discipline of geography. It was awarded first in 1888.

https://rsgs.org/inspiring-people/medals-awards/honorary-fellowship/

You have to ferret (or be one of the few who knew) in order to realise it is not a full fellowship but just honorary.

[Added]

According to Wiki, Rory isn't even his real name:

Roderick James Nugent "Rory" Stewart, OBE, FRSL FRSGS (born 3 January 1973) is a British politician, diplomat, and writer.

Last edited:
Reactions: robdon

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
A radical blueprint for a free trade deal between the UK and the US that would see the NHS opened to foreign competition, a bonfire of consumer and environmental regulations and freedom of movement between the two countries for workers, is to be launched by prominent Brexiters.
So, instead of being an equal partner in a group of 28 sovereign nation states, we might become the unequal partner of the USA……yeah, I can see the attraction there….if you happen to be a multi-millionaire like the despicable Liar Fox, 'Bullshine' Boris or the minister for the 19th century, Grease-Smug.

Tom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Deceptive behaviour, again. Felllow of The Royal Scottish Geographical Society (RSGS) "is an educational charity which promotes an understanding of natural environments and human societies, and how they interact. Our vision is to create better stewards of our world, by informing and inspiring individuals about the interplay between people, places and the planet."

Honorary Fellowship (FRSGS)

An Honorary Fellowship is awarded in recognition of services to the Society and to the wider discipline of geography. It was awarded first in 1888.

https://rsgs.org/inspiring-people/medals-awards/honorary-fellowship/

You have to ferret (or be one of the few who knew) in order to realise it is not a full fellowship but just honorary.
Reminiscent of the Failed Bloodhound in the Daily Mirror cartoon series "The
Perishers"
His Qualifications were BH(Calcutta) failed.
And perhaps the Monika of the over amourous female Beagle could well find a home among the rank of the Torys
"Tattie Oldbit (The Sailors Friend);)

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Deceptive behaviour, again.
Exactly my thoughts too! His various online pen pictures, (not just Wiki), depict a CV born out of his need to be famous but none of it stacks up very well when you examine it closely.

He is simply a product of the upper end of the British class system and has inherited all their moral principles, or lack of them to be accurate!

It seems that lying and cheating are in the DNA of these people.

Tom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Still the lies go on!

View attachment 27718 Apparently, (I didn't know this), there is a ministerial code which requires such people to be honest and the former soldier, (a short-service limited commission,1991-1992), went on to university before joining the UK Diplomatic Service before expanding his CV in other areas.

Tom
Amazing what pops up out of childhood memories on seeing a facial expressions like that one.
Dear Mother had an appropriate one
"That's a face only a Mother could love"
And yes, before you say it, she was referring to me at the time.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It seems that lying and cheating are in the DNA of these people.
As a member of the Bell Clan I protest that you really shouldn't hold those qualifications against them Oh Dear me no!

What's the world coming to when a politician is no longer free to say
"Why go elsewhere to be swindled?
I'm your Friend!

After all this is the only country in the world where the application of those traits encouraged 17.5 Million people to put their name down to be mugged, isn't it?

(Laughs hysterically)

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
As I asked recently, just what would happen if the tories actually split? (Could call it TOXIC - TOries eXIt Conservative party?) The French understand the Cons.

She will split the party, say May’s Tory opponents

Ferocious opposition to the Brexit deal could lead to a lasting split among Conservatives and even a constitutional crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/18/polarising-brexit-could-split-tory-part-constitutional-crisis

It would be very interesting to see No-deal, May-deal and Remain party-formerly-known-as-Conservative-and-Unionist-Party candidates in every constituency.

Especially if Labour somehow managed all to pull in the same direction.

[Adding]

Irony moment. If tories did split, they might rue the day they refused to consider any form of transferable vote. At least then a tory candidate might have stood a chance.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
As I asked recently, just what would happen if the tories actually split? (Could call it TOXIC - TOries eXIt Conservative party?) The French understand the Cons.

She will split the party, say May’s Tory opponents

Ferocious opposition to the Brexit deal could lead to a lasting split among Conservatives and even a constitutional crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/18/polarising-brexit-could-split-tory-part-constitutional-crisis

It would be very interesting to see No-deal, May-deal and Remain party-formerly-known-as-Conservative-and-Unionist-Party candidates in every constituency.

Especially if Labour somehow managed all to pull in the same direction.
Could this be the UK's Macron moment?

Reactions: robdon and oyster

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
THE BREXITEERS’ ‘DOLCHSTOSSLEGENDE’

The ridiculous logical fallacies from the Leavers continue to amuse thinking Remainers:

First the Leavers said they ‘held all the cards’.

Then they failed miserably to get any sensible deal - and most of them gave up and resigned over the arrangements they themselves negotiated.

Now the ‘weaker’ EU, without ‘holding any cards’, have been ‘bullying’ the big Brexit boys of Britain into humiliation.

Leavers, stand up and take responsibility. Your Brexit has failed badly. We always told you it would.

Like the Tory Brexiteer MP and former London mayoral candidate says today, it’s time you also wish you ‘had voted Remain’.

Your own leaders know they’ve failed and are just looking for scapegoats now.

The final scapegoat will be you. ‘It was the will of the people’, they will say.

Who’s been stabbed in the back then?

This item is courtesy of the 'Brexit Exposed' website.

Tom

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
THE BREXITEERS’ ‘DOLCHSTOSSLEGENDE’

The ridiculous logical fallacies from the Leavers continue to amuse thinking Remainers:

First the Leavers said they ‘held all the cards’.

Then they failed miserably to get any sensible deal - and most of them gave up and resigned over the arrangements they themselves negotiated.

Now the ‘weaker’ EU, without ‘holding any cards’, have been ‘bullying’ the big Brexit boys of Britain into humiliation.

Leavers, stand up and take responsibility. Your Brexit has failed badly. We always told you it would.

Like the Tory Brexiteer MP and former London mayoral candidate says today, it’s time you also wish you ‘had voted Remain’.

Your own leaders know they’ve failed and are just looking for scapegoats now.

The final scapegoat will be you. ‘It was the will of the people’, they will say.

Who’s been stabbed in the back then?

This item is courtesy of the 'Brexit Exposed' website.

Tom
Even if we did hold all the cards. Theresa May decided to fold early on in the game.

Advertisers