Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That's your opinion. It doesn't make it correct.

Quite frankly if you marry a woman like that and father a child like that then I would rather take the advice of the homeless psychotic down the road.

At least we can medicate him as he accepts he has a condition.

You're in denial.
It will come as no surprise, but I find Jonathan's analogy compelling. We hear from accross the pond,about the "Adults in the room " referring to the White House. Well in the UK's case those "Adults" are expected to be in HoC, HoL and the cabinet.
The UK is now 100 days from crashing out of an organisation which it has been in for 50 years. There is no planning for a plan B, . Plan A is dicey. The "responsible " talk is about contingency planning for a national catastrophe,with food shortages, etc.
AND it is all SELF inflicted.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
It will come as no surprise, but I find Jonathan's analogy compelling. We hear from accross the pond,about the "Adults in the room " referring to the White House. Well in the UK's case those "Adults" are expected to be in HoC, HoL and the cabinet.
The UK is now 100 days from crashing out of an organisation which it has been in for 50 years. There is no planning for a plan B, . Plan A is dicey. The "responsible " talk is about contingency planning for a national catastrophe,with food shortages, etc.
AND it is all SELF inflicted.

We've just spent 100 million on extra ferries.

Relax. We got this.

I hope you're getting your ducks in line too as your country is the one in actual peril.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Someone, sometime published a table on this forum of all the derogations and exemptions the uk had obtained,so no it is not the most compliant nation state. Not by a long shot.
Again your understanding is less than perfect. In general the EU proposes regulations, the member states AGREE to adopt them,or they DISAGREE to adopt them for their state. If they agree, then they can be fined for not adopting them by a due date,or by flaunting them having adopted them. I f one has opted to back out of that regulation,then compliance is irrelevant.
That’s the whole point. A choice is given, an option, freedom to decide, those are the rules. The U.K. decides within the rules what to adopt and does it. Other nations pretend to adopt the legislation and then don’t, resulting in fines. Take Italy for instance, agreed to Civil Partnerships (probably because that sort of thing makes good window dressing on the world stage) and then has failed to introduce them, resulting in heavy fines. It’s nuts. The U.K. operates within the EU rules and is very compliant.

Reactions: Zlatan

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
There was a clue in my original post, “ Those fit for work should work”. What you have posted is entirely irrelevant, that just highlights a diagnosis issue. Many reasons not to work are self inflicted injuries, being too fat and lazy being most common.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The U.K. decides within the rules what to adopt and does it. - - - - - - - - - The U.K. operates within the EU rules and is very compliant.
I've just given some examples of the ways the UK does not comply despite agreeing by default.

Each EU measure is accompanied by a notice period to ask for variance. Not asking within the specified period automatically means acceptance, and that is what the UK usually does. But they often don't comply.

The EU are flexible with fines, usually only applying them in instances which have serious social implications, so we've been lucky in some instances.

However, in the last decade alone the UK has been fined some £650 millions in total by the EU for non compliance offences, so your post is untrue in a variety of ways.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We've just spent 100 million on extra ferries.

Relax. We got this.

I hope you're getting your ducks in line too as your country is the one in actual peril.
You have got nothing!!!.
More ferries means more time the goods are in transit. Bring more lorries along the miserable roads in in south Wales, or in Devon or maybe near the Wash for transport to Zeebrugge,means more delays more congestion.
The problem is not the ports, or the transit, there is not going to be an increase in sea traffic ,just more shipping taking linger routes ,unless you all develop double stomachs, its the delays at the ports. What part of obvious do you not get?.

Our high value goods .pharma, microprocessors, smoked and fresh shell fish are usually air freighted . Our volume goods like lamb and grass fed beef for which there is a premium paid in France, will be a a few more hours on the road. Years ago I was in discussion with people in Brest and they were anxious to have a direct Cork sealink. That would cut a few hours off the sea journey and there is an excellent motorway link direct to Paris. This would be the opportunity.
And yes my country is in peril, ..and so is yours. The difference is that I recognise it.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
You have got nothing!!!.
More ferries means more time the goods are in transit. Bring more lorries along the miserable roads in in south Wales, or in Devon or maybe near the Wash for transport to Zeebrugge,means more delays more congestion.
The problem is not the ports, or the transit, there is not going to be an increase in sea traffic ,just more shipping taking linger routes ,unless you all develop double stomachs, its the delays at the ports. What part of obvious do you not get?.

Our high value goods .pharma, microprocessors, smoked and fresh shell fish are usually air freighted . Our volume goods like lamb and grass fed beef for which there is a premium paid in France, will be a a few more hours on the road. Years ago I was in discussion with people in Brest and they were anxious to have a direct Cork sealink. That would cut a few hours off the sea journey and there is an excellent motorway link direct to Paris. This would be the opportunity.
And yes my country is in peril, ..and so is yours. The difference is that I recognise it.

Excellent news.

And really. Don't worry about us. We will be fine.

• Agree
Reactions: tommie

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
There was a clue in my original post, “ Those fit for work should work”. What you have posted is entirely irrelevant, that just highlights a diagnosis issue. Many reasons not to work are self inflicted injuries, being too fat and lazy being most common.
Occasionally, just occasionally I find myself in agreement , if only partially with you.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Occasionally, just occasionally I find myself in agreement , if only partially with you.

Right wing lies.

If the rich Tory voters paid their taxes we would have a surfeit of cash. Nicking pence off the poorest isn't going to propel this country in the black.

I know people that are disabled and have lost money for no reason than it suits some **** in Tory world ideology and appeals to their dying voter base..

Right wing racists like Tillson are the cancer in this country. Not people who take benefits.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there is no need for more ferries. Our government just tries to make hard brexit preparation to look like silly spending.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
there is no need for more ferries. Our government just tries to make hard brexit preparation to look like silly spending.
Agreed. In fact if we Hard Brexit there will be a decline in cross channel goods transfer so gradually becoming less ferries than at present.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Woosh

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
And this divisive fiasco woulfd have finished by now.. But if you think that of him why on earth did you vote labour?? (apologies if you didnt, one of you did, like millions of others)
I had a chat with the Labour candidate for my Constituency when he came canvassing to my house. He told me that only a small part of the PLP were hard left supporters and that the vast majority of Labour MPs were moderates. He said they would ensure if Labour won then the more extreme policies of the far left would be quietly ditched. Not sure if he really believed this or not, but I am sure it was something he had been told to say as he reeled it off as if he had said the same thing to many other people.

On the subject of JC I cant think of many leaders of political parties who display such poor leadership qualities. I actually think he never wanted to be leader of the labour party but allowed himself to be bullied into it by more dominant characters on the far left.

If there was an election tomorrow I really don't know who I would vote for, there is a saying that goes something like, people get the leaders they deserve. I don't quite know what the UK has done but surely we don't deserve the kind of leaders we have in all the main political parties at the current moment in time.

Reactions: robdon

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016

Its just to get the EU to think we're serious about a WTO exit.

Should have really been doing this from start tbh

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It's good to be sceptical, and there's misinformation on both sides, but PwC (who are obsessively, amorally and exclusively interested in what they can make out of any situation) are amongst many investors who say so
http://www.cbi.org.uk/news/leaving-eu-would-cause-a-serious-shock-to-uk-economy-new-pwc-analysis/
Tommie, just like the words Nxxxxxr in the USA or anti-Semitic anywhere, there are certain key words which just are intended to cut off rational debate.. project fear is one of these. Can you not present an argument or must you hide behind a devalued slogan

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Right wing racists like Tillson are the cancer in this country. Not people who take benefits.
Whoops, I appear to have touched a nerve :) Does the majority of your weekly grocery budget get spent on Sunny Delight and fireworks? Just asking.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
there is a saying that goes something like, people get the leaders they deserve. I don't quite know what the UK has done but surely we don't deserve the kind of leaders we have in all the main political parties at the current moment in time.
I'm afraid we do deserve them. After all, the leaders are all elected by us as MPs, so as an electorate we only have ourselves to blame in the first instance.

Then selecting party leaders is in large part done by party members, but if we don't join those parties and take part, again we only have ourselves to blame if they are elected by the few dedicated cliques.

Reactions: robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Its just to get the EU to think we're serious about a WTO exit.

Should have really been doing this from start tbh
No. Which part of EU does not care about this posturing is difficult to understand. 90% of the organisation has made a proposal to 10%. The 10% can accept or reject it, . It will marginally damage the 90% if it is rejected. It will seriously damage the 10%.
The world and the EU will move on.
What I do agree with is that the UK should have been doing this contingency planning three years ago and had the compulory purchase orders set up before triggering Article 50. Not to bluff the EU, but because its what adults do. It is also what in the days of empire, the British were very good at doing.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Advertisers