Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
May's deal is worst of all possible worlds
why?
it's the same withdrawal deal that any UK PM will have to agree to, the EU may give a little ground to sweeten it but there won't be any change on the money or backstop.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I'm not for a WTO departure,but agree May's deal is worst of all possible worlds. Fortunately we'll all know exactly where parliament stands in a few weeks. Brexit is like an almighty marital dispute, unpleasant and divisive,but does make it clear where everyone stand
In my view the May Deal is the second worst of all possible worlds. ..and is a close run thing for the worst . The problem for any moderate leavers is that it was never going to be better. Wooshs point about additional state aid and nationalisation of previous state assets would not have caused a problem in EU circles. Problems only arise when state aid is given to private companies enabling them to distort competition against comparable companies. A state run Water board or Railway system.. particularly on an island would have been a no brainer.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In my view the May Deal is the second worst of all possible worlds. ..and is a close run thing for the worst .
If we want to leave with benefits such as continuing to trade with the EU on favourable terms, May's deal is as good as it can get so strictly speaking it's not a bad deal yet. We will only be able to fairly judge it when the next phase of the trade talks is completed, when the whole package value will be seen.

The alternative of just walking out will be far worse for very many years, possibly for ever.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
  • Informative
  • Agree

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
labour, but with corbyn turning out to be possibly the most limp lettuce of an opposition leader ever, i cannot say i feel good about it. How about you?
I did the same and feel exactly the same way. The comparison though is almost an insult to limp lettuce. With any other leader, Labour would be 25 points or more ahead in the polls.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I did the same and feel exactly the same way. The comparison though is almost an insult to limp lettuce. With any other leader, Labour would be 25 points or more ahead in the polls.
And this divisive fiasco woulfd have finished by now.. But if you think that of him why on earth did you vote labour?? (apologies if you didnt, one of you did, like millions of others)

• Disagree
Reactions: robdon

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
In my view the May Deal is the second worst of all possible worlds. ..and is a close run thing for the worst . The problem for any moderate leavers is that it was never going to be better. Wooshs point about additional state aid and nationalisation of previous state assets would not have caused a problem in EU circles. Problems only arise when state aid is given to private companies enabling them to distort competition against comparable companies. A state run Water board or Railway system.. particularly on an island would have been a no brainer.
a WTO terms exit may seem worse, in reality it will cause such mayhem that leavers will clamour to rejoin fully in short shrift, whereas May's deal smacks of death by a thousand cuts

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
And this divisive fiasco woulfd have finished by now.. But if you think that of him why on earth did you vote labour?? (apologies if you didnt, one of you did, like millions of others)
You do realise you are speaking as someone who has committed the travesty of voting for May?

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
You do realise you are speaking as someone who has committed the travesty of voting for May?
Yes, the lesser of 3 evils. Corbyn would do far more danage to econony then Brexit ever could and his defence policy is a complete and utter shambles.... errr. Keep Trident replacement at billions and billions but tell whole world he would never ever use it...now that is stupidity at its utmost. But that is Corbyn's way. Sit on fence. May on the other hand has gone up in my estimations. From utterly useless to best of a bad lot.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Dunkirk was better organised...

No-deal Brexit ferry contract sparks concerns

Concerns have been raised over the readiness of a British firm contracted by the government to run extra ferries in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

Seaborne Freight was awarded a £13.8m contract this week to run a freight service between Ramsgate and Ostend.

The firm has never run a ferry service and a local councillor said it would be impossible to launch before Brexit.

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
  • Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It may be a deliberate cover job. Apparently the government were anxious that continental firms didn't win bids for these contracts and be seen to be benefitting from Brexit. Yet their capacity could be needed.

So what this non-company could be is a shield under which the continentals ferries can operate as British run.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It may be a deliberate cover job. Apparently the government were anxious that continental firms didn't win bids for these contracts and be seen to be benefitting from Brexit. Yet their capacity could be needed.

So what this non-company could be is a shield under which the continentals ferries can operate as British run.
One director is French.

But it appears that no-one in the industry seems to believe they could be up and running from Ramsgate by 29/03/2019. No ships. Difficult/restricted port. Website shows they are not even advertising for staff. I saw one possible ship mentioned - launched 1987 which is getting rather long in the tooth. And you need more than one bateau to sail three sailings each way every day.

Adding link:

No-deal Brexit ferry company owns no ships and has never run Channel service
Concerns raised over Seaborne Freight, which won a £13.8m contract to operate a Ramsgate to Ostend route

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/30/no-deal-brexit-ferry-company-owns-no-ships-and-has-never-run-ferry-service

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Advertisers