Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's not quite true. The candidates we vote for are sometimes selected from shortlists drawn up of entirely one gender or ethnic background. This is done in order to satisfy someone who doesn't matter, but the process has the unfortunate affect of producing Dianne Abbots.
The shortlists produced by those we elect, Tony Blair in the case of all female shortlisting for example, so my argument remains true.

Oddly enough Diane Abbott was first nominated and elected as an MP when they were supposedly elected on merit, before the all-female shortlist appeared.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The shortlists produced by those we elect, Tony Blair in the case of all female shortlisting for example, so my argument remains true.

Oddly enough Diane Abbott was first nominated and elected as an MP when they were supposedly elected on merit, before the all-female shortlist appeared.
But they don't tell us what they intend to do before we vote them into office. We elect them and then they do something mental, like draw up loaded short lists which produce a perverse outcome.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Latest news from the Home Office:

Two cutters have been redeployed from overseas to patrol the channel with the existing cutter.

After the disastrous performance of our type 45 destroyers and the Gatwick drone fiasco, I expect the next embarrassment will be two of the cutters colliding in mid channel.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But they don't tell us what they intend to do before we vote them into office. We elect them and then they do something mental, like draw up loaded short lists which produce a perverse outcome.
Yes but then they get re-elected, like Blair/Brown and Cameron/May for example, so the electorate are still to blame.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can't imagine you would vote for Tony Blair if he was a candidate in your constituency.
Both Labour and Conservative parties have positive discrimination policy to redress the imbalance in representation. It is a crude method but it is better than no action at all.
BTW, Diane Abbott is well educated, she won her first seat on merit.
Her problem is she is not good in math which is quite common among politicians.

Reactions: robdon and flecc

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
I can't imagine you would vote for Tony Blair if he was a candidate in your constituency.
Both Labour and Conservative parties have positive discrimination policy to redress the imbalance in representation. It is a crude method but it is better than no action at all.

She really is as thick as mince. I've met her a few times.

She used to be my constituency MP and I met at some social occasions and through work.

Quite a nasty piece of work too. She was incredibly rude to junior staff on This Week. One of the reasons she was quietly dropped. They were all heartily sick of her.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
She really is as thick as mince. I've met her a few times.

She used to be my constituency MP and I met at some social occasions and through work.

Quite a nasty piece of work too. She was incredibly rude to junior staff on This Week. One of the reasons she was quietly dropped. They were all heartily sick of her.
My threshold of tolerance must be above average!

I do like Michael Portillo on This Week. Also like Alan Johnson.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That would be me, I shall attempt to find it, although to be honest presenting facts to Brexit supporters is always a waste of time.
I don't think it's a waste, contributors on this thread must have spent a fair bit of time looking for facts to support their point of view so I suppose they all value facts even when they don't support one's point of view.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
You really do come out with some comedy gold. I love it, let's have some more please.

• Dislike

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I wish all the, "Brexit for once some factsers" a very happy and healthy 2019. Take a quiet moment to sit down & think about events which are coming. We are off to a good start, strap in, N1 120%, throttles to re-heat, ride it out and play it cool. xx

Reactions: tommie and flecc

russ18uk

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2018
The British are very good at a lot of things.

A stiff upper lip will see us through this situation.

Everything will be fine long term. There will be a jolt at first but we will get through it.

I hope Leo is planning hard too.
We got through years of 3-day weeks, food shortages, energy shortages since the second world war by, erm, joining the common market.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You really do come out with some comedy gold. I love it, let's have some more please.
Diane Abbott as an MP has good personal policies. She has been strongly opposed to the Iraq war, ID cards, the renewal of Trident and has fought for pro choice in the abortion issue. She was elected as an MP for a North London constituency in 1987, re-elected in 2010 and again re-elected in 2015, so her electorate seem to rate her.

David Miliband who has been so widely thought of as the most promising of Labour politicians has supported Diane on occasions, including promoting her as a candidate for labour leader.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Woosh

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
We got through years of 3-day weeks, food shortages, energy shortages since the second world war by, erm, joining the common market.

That was 50 years ago.

Different world now. Can't let the past stop one shaping a better future.

Never forget of course and take lessons but forging a brighter future means bold decisions.

Strong and stable!

russ18uk

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2018
Yes, different world. One where the UK is not as big as it thinks it is; one where India (whom the UK snuffed after sending a team to because we can't bully any more), Brazil, China, Japan, France, Germany, USA and even Canada and Australia hold all the cards whilst we're desperate to make deals with.

Yes, a much, much different world.

• Agree

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Yes, different world. One where the UK is not as big as it thinks it is; one where India (whom the UK snuffed after sending a team to because we can't bully any more), Brazil, China, Japan, France, Germany, USA and even Canada and Australia hold all the cards whilst we're desperate to make deals with.

Yes, a much, much different world.

Another ray of sunshine!

Cheer up mate. It will be alright. Maybe even better.

• Agree
Reactions: tommie

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Latest news from the Home Office:

Two cutters have been redeployed from overseas to patrol the channel with the existing cutter.

After the disastrous performance of our type 45 destroyers and the Gatwick drone fiasco, I expect the next embarrassment will be two of the cutters colliding in mid channel.
When are they being towed back from the Med?

Advertisers