Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
One of the fundamentals of
EU law says you must treat other EU citizens the same as your own. If they can't expel their own citizens without trial of even going in front of a judge then they shouldn't be able to expel any other EU citizen... So basically without putting too finer point on it...….you have just spouted a load of shite.
You are correct that one must treat other EU citizens as your own .agreed. Now a Spanish Citizen might be brought to the police station and then bailed out after an hour in the cells,for objectionable behaviour. Another EU countries citizen will have a restricted right to bail,because they are a flight risk, so if put to them, will you leave now or wait the next three weeks in custody, what would you do?. Police powers in Spain are different from England,so the presumption of innocence is not as clearcut as you are assuming. Perhaps if you look at some of the continental crime series as shown on BBC 4 ,with subtites and the role of investigating magistrates ot judges, you might be less quick to insult me.

• :D
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and daveboy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think that’s a major part of the uk’s problem, it feels like we can’t wait to implement any EU objectives in the harshest and most disruptive way possible, often after misinterpreting it.
It's why our fishermen are so unhappy, the Royal Navy's fishery protection vessels take their duties far too seriously, often wrecking a whole days fishing with a boarding and search. It seems they treat this as a regular duty rather than the exception when there are justified suspicions.

Reactions: robdon

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
It's why our fishermen are so unhappy, the Royal Navy's fishery protection vessels take their duties far too seriously, often wrecking a whole days fishing with a boarding and search. It seems they treat this as a regular duty rather than the exception when there are justified suspicions.
I once saw a program on TV about throwing back dead fish due to quotas (no longer the case) the English fishermen just laughed when asked if the French stuck to their quotas...In all the years of fishing they had never seen the French throwing fish back.....to be fair it was a stupid rule.

• Agree
Reactions: 50Hertz and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I once saw a program on TV about throwing back dead fish due to quotas (no longer the case) the English fishermen just laughed when asked if the French stuck to their quotas...In all the years of fishing they had never seen the French throwing fish back.....to be fair it was a stupid rule.
The rule was stupid in its implementation not its intention. The action of netting fish kills them, so the fishermen should have been obliged to land everything they caught.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and daveboy

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Johnsons letter
This is Johnson's letter to the EU27, demanding they remove the backstop. He offers no concrete alternative, and ironically spends most of his time rehashing the inner contradictions which make the backstop necessary! In other words, even after 3 years, he has absolutely no plan.

But what do you expect from this imbecile? Diplomacy?
:D :D :D :D :D

And this is the response

Donald Tusk

@eucopresident
· 6h
The backstop is an insurance to avoid a hard border on the island of Ireland unless and until an alternative is found. Those against the backstop and not proposing realistic alternatives in fact support reestablishing a border. Even if they do not admit it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Hilarious that the country goes onto "A War footing" spends a fortune on preparations for the dire consequences of no deal and all for what?
So a juvenile politician who has convinced himself he is Rambo and can bluff the EU with the threat
"Hit me again and I'll bleed all over you?"
To force them to give him a Brino he can con the plebs with?

Johnson has made a bigger mistake than he did after the referendum
At least that time he had the sense to run and hide!
He must be messing himself in case he ends up with the consequences of No Deal associated with him personally.

As fingers says
Exciting times we live in.
This is a divorce of a sort, and you know the old saying
"The best way to punish a man who steals your wife is to let him keep her!"o_Oo_O

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
New from Dexeu: UK officials will stop attending most EU meetings from 1 September so they "can focus on our future relationship with the EU and other partners around the world"

I wonder what genius came up with that, it looks like "Cummings" to me

Anyone care to bet Boris get's tired of Cummings before long?
He's best described as a "Skinhead Guard of honour at the Christening" where Brexit is concerned.:eek:

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
And Boris and the Leave Cabal a little reminder about the responsibility that comes with No Deal Brexit

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's been his whole life plan.
about his proposal to replace the NI backstop:

The UK PM says he believes "we'll get there" and has promised to "go at it with a lot of oomph"

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
New from Dexeu: UK officials will stop attending most EU meetings from 1 September so they "can focus on our future relationship with the EU and other partners around the world"

I wonder what genius came up with that, it looks like "Cummings" to me

Anyone care to bet Boris get's tired of Cummings before long?
He's best described as a "Skinhead Guard of honour at the Christening" where Brexit is concerned.:eek:

4d chess.

No wonder you don't get it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
brexit deters foreign investment in manufacturing, plot is of greenfield sector but still typical.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
17 moves ahead. No wonder it confuses you.

Check mate in 60 days.
and it will be many years, and may be until the next generation of politicians, to conclude on the foolishness of no deal brexit and reverse brexit.

Years before Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated, most statesmen across the continent thought a European war would sooner or later have to be fought. Some expected it would be glorious and short. Others anticipated the horror but said it would be spiritually purgative. As martial drums grew louder, pacifist voices grew fainter. A fog of fatalism descended. The nature of the question shifted from averting possible cataclysm to managing one that seemed inevitable.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/21/1914-brexit-calamity-inevitable-remainers

Advertisers