Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
OG accused me of saying I had said I personally would benefit from "nice deals". There is no connection at all between Hargreaves' comments relating to country getting a deal and OG stating I would benefit from personal "nice deals".
He is a liar. I said no such thing and he knows that to be case. Thats why he either changes subject or says nothing about his comments.
Hair splitting, we all know what you meant, that we'd be better off with deals made when outside the EU. Your anti-EU line on this as with all other EU issues is consistent.

The precise adjective used is immaterial.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
two ways Bojo can kill Benn's bill and deliver no deal brexit:

1) Ask the ERG to vote for a deal then simply refuse to bring forward the Withdrawal Bill, which is needed to implement the deal in law.
2) Prorogue parliament again after 19-October.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Hair splitting, we all know what you meant, that we'd be better off with deals made when outside the EU. Your anti-EU line on this as with all other EU issues is consistent.

The precise adjective used is immaterial.
All know what I meant with what?Saying a deal would be sorted eventually.
Very strange stance to take for folk who have criticised fake news and then support a complete lie.
Defending a liar. A new low even for this thread. And from the poster who threw dummy out when called snowflecc. Brilliant.
PITAs

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: flecc

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Aldi are set to open over 100 new stores in the next two years. Meanwhile, Waitrose are closing stores.

Aldi are clearly betting on a hard Brexit, after which most people will be eating Aldi food because that will be the best they can affordable.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Johnson is still talking about leaving the EU at the end of October with or without a deal.

How can he do this when it is now a legal requirement to have a deal in place before leaving. Does the law passed a few days ago mean nothing?

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Johnson is still talking about leaving the EU at the end of October with or without a deal.

How can he do this when it is now a legal requirement to have a deal in place before leaving. Does the law passed a few days ago mean nothing?
Everybody lies and supports lying these days 50..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All know what I meant with what?Saying a deal would be sorted eventually.
You're being disingenuous, a polite way of saying you are lying.

Your clear implication was repeatedly that we would reach deals with Germany et al that were at least equal to what we enjoy at present. If they were not at least equal, i.e favourable, why would you have even posted that as a benefit in support of leaving?

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Aldi are set to open over 100 new stores in the next two years. Meanwhile, Waitrose are closing stores.

Aldi are clearly betting on a hard Brexit, after which most people will be eating Aldi food because that will be the best they can affordable.

Nonsense.

It’s just common sense. For years I was an idiot and insisting on the big four supermarkets. Waitrose in particular.

It wasn’t till a big Sainsbury’s opened up and we did a big shop that came to £180 plus. The same shop a couple of weeks later, and the first I had ever done in a Lidl was under £80.

It’s sheer madness using the Rob dogs if you don’t have to. I was fooled for a long time.

Its not better across the board but most things are easily the same and often half the price. babies nappies and wipes have saved me a fortune.

It’s actuall a good news story that is creating a lot of jobs. Sadly you have contracted Gerald syndrome by proxy.

Nothing good can happen anymore. Cos Brexit innit.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: Wicky and daveboy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It’s actuall a good news story that is creating a lot of jobs.
Actually it's costing jobs, so not good news.

Plus for Aldi is minus for Sainsburys, so some sort of balance there. But Aldi and Lidl work with less staff in many ways to do the job, so costing jobs overall.

For example, Lidl insisting drivers from other companies delivering to them must unload their own trucks and put the stock away correctly into their supermarket warehouse section. Either that or the company loses their business.

And checkout staff have to work at much higher speed using multiple barcode locations on their goods, meaning less checkout staff for a given throughput.

Not saying this is all bad, just sticking to the facts.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I did write to my MP re prorogation:

Dear <oyster>

Thanks for your email. You make your point well and the Scottish courts seem to agree. We will see what the Supreme Court now says.

My own views is that any indication that the Government wished to shut down Parliament in the days leading up to the 31 October would be outrageous. But the current prorogation which largely coincides with the annual party conference recess is acceptable. None of the major parties intended for their conferences to be cancelled so in a sense it is very much business as usual.

One could argue, though, that it is very much not business as usual as we are in exceptional circumstances and that Parliament should be recalled even during the party conference season. Recalling Parliament would make sense if Parliament could actually agree on something but the whole spectacle of the Commons going round in circles on this is really not helping. Voting for a delay to Brexit with no agreement on what should come next is not a solution.

Anyway, I am using the time to work from my office and will be ready to go back to Westminster if Parliament is recalled.

Thanks again for your email.

Best,

Stephen <Crabb>

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Nonsense.

It’s just common sense. For years I was an idiot and insisting on the big four supermarkets. Waitrose in particular.

It wasn’t till a big Sainsbury’s opened up and we did a big shop that came to £180 plus. The same shop a couple of weeks later, and the first I had ever done in a Lidl was under £80.

It’s sheer madness using the Rob dogs if you don’t have to. I was fooled for a long time.

Its not better across the board but most things are easily the same and often half the price. babies nappies and wipes have saved me a fortune.

It’s actuall a good news story that is creating a lot of jobs. Sadly you have contracted Gerald syndrome by proxy.

Nothing good can happen anymore. Cos Brexit innit.
Aldi food tastes like cat shite, not hat I have eaten any cat shite, but you get the idea.

• Disagree
Reactions: daveboy

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Everybody lies and supports lying these days 50..
That doesn't really answer the question. I know many people lie, but what about breaking the newly passed law regarding no deal. Is that law enforceable? Whats the maximum penalty? Could Brexit happen if it came about as the result of an illegal act?

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
You're being disingenuous, a polite way of saying you are lying.

Your clear implication was repeatedly that we would reach deals with Germany et al that were at least equal to what we enjoy at present. If they were not at least equal, i.e favourable, why would you have even posted that as a benefit in support of leaving?
What on earth has any of that got to do with OG's ficticious "neat deals". You defend some odd things sometimes flecc. Read his post and find mine saying anything like it.
OG's neat deals was I suspect in response to my being in India at time looking into new possibilities,but you, ll have to ask him. Saying UK would arrive at a deal, even after a no deal, is hardly contentious. Its OG's ususl attempt at put downs. Something you support??

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Actually it's costing jobs, so not good news.

Plus for Aldi is minus for Sainsburys, so some sort of balance there. But Aldi and Lidl work with less staff in many ways to do the job, so costing jobs overall.

For example, Lidl insisting drivers from other companies delivering to them must unload their own trucks and put the stock away correctly into their supermarket warehouse section. Either that or the company loses their business.

And checkout staff have to work at much higher speed using multiple barcode locations on their goods, meaning less checkout staff for a given throughput.

Not saying this is all bad, just sticking to the facts.
If the delivery contract Lidl have agreed includes unloading, so be it. At least it means that no matter when the truck arrives, the person to unload it is there and doesn't have to be redeployed from tills during a customer rush.

I am consistently impressed by the local Aldi staff in particular - they manage to be friendly and often have a chat despite working at high speed.

Have only been to Waitrose twice in the past three years- again, friendly. But unbelievably slow. As ever.

To make it clear, I am almost invariably happy with the friendliness of shop staff in the area. I think they are better than we deserve. It is just that Aldi is ahead even on that generally high score.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The BBC seems to be moving away from referenda... :)

BBC swaps Eurovision Song Contest selection vote for record label deal

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If the delivery contract Lidl have agreed includes unloading, so be it.
That wasn't the case, it was a new condition that Lidl imposed, causing quite a storm. I'm strongly opposed to it on safety grounds since driver stop time is legally rest time off the tachograph, not fork lift driving time or other work time. There's also the fact that fork lift operators should be qualified to do that work, and most truck drivers are not.

• Informative
Reactions: wheeler and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
That wasn't the case, it was a new condition that Lidl imposed, causing quite a storm. I'm strongly opposed to it on safety grounds since driver stop time is legally rest time off the tachograph, not fork lift driving time or other work time. There's also the fact that fork lift operators should be qualified to do that work, and most truck drivers are not.
I was unaware that it had been imposed post hoc.

Agree that tacho time must be properly handled. Non-tacho time time should (usually) be proper rest.

(I'm interested in how that will be handled post-brexit with, potentially, very long queues in Kent.)

I actually thought that is was a legal requirement for fork lift operators to be qualified - not just best practice/advised/whatever.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I actually thought that is was a legal requirement for fork lift operators to be qualified - not just best practice/advised/whatever.
There is a requirement for basic training and it is prosecutable, but that usually only crops up after accidents (of which there are many). In practice a very large proportion of all fork lift operation is done by unqualified people, though many have had some in house training, which is what I operated in my depot.

There are dedicated training companies like this one

The legal situation is on this link

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

Advertisers