Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I remember democracy.

You are lucky to still have that.

We envy you.
Quite right! we had Democracy too till the leave camp subverted it to win the Referendum, and now those who conspired against democracy are in power and still trying to do so.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Because its impossible for you to recall something I didnt say. You, ve made it up. Please find the post "you remember". You cant because it does not, and never has, existed.
Really? what did I remember then? perhaps words you used to that effect? there certainly was something to trigger my response, it didn't come out of nowhere.with no context.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Incredible Hulk? he's the the incredible Skunk
In the Telegraph

How Boris Johnson took his begging bowl to the EU - and Luxembourg laughed in his face
The Prime Minister went to Luxembourg as a favour to Jean-Claude Juncker, the president of the European Commission, and walked straight into an ambush.

Boris Johnson was meant to be holding a joint outdoor press conference with Xavier Bettel, the prime minister of Luxembourg, after meeting Mr Juncker. However, he cancelled, fearing his words would be drowned out by a band of 75 vocal anti-Brexit protesters ranged just 10 yards away.
Cowardice in the face of protesters, and this from a "Strong Man"?

As one of the correspondents pointed out in the Independent

"For around 30 years, one of the now prime minister’s favourite after-dinner jokes was that he has “only one conviction, and that is for speeding”.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Incredible Hulk? he's the the incredible Skunk
In the Telegraph

How Boris Johnson took his begging bowl to the EU - and Luxembourg laughed in his face
The Prime Minister went to Luxembourg as a favour to Jean-Claude Juncker, the president of the European Commission, and walked straight into an ambush.

Boris Johnson was meant to be holding a joint outdoor press conference with Xavier Bettel, the prime minister of Luxembourg, after meeting Mr Juncker. However, he cancelled, fearing his words would be drowned out by a band of 75 vocal anti-Brexit protesters ranged just 10 yards away.
Cowardice in the face of protesters, and this from a "Strong Man"?

As one of the correspondents pointed out in the Independent

"For around 30 years, one of the now prime minister’s favourite after-dinner jokes was that he has “only one conviction, and that is for speeding”.
Consider "hulk". If you go back far enough, there are fragments that are positive, otherwise it is quite negative.

hulk (n.)
Old English hulc "light, fast ship" (glossing Latin liburna, but in Middle English a heavy, unwieldy one), probably from Old Dutch hulke and Medieval Latin hulcus, perhaps ultimately from Greek holkas "merchant ship," literally "ship that is towed," from helkein "to pull, draw, drag" (from PIE root *selk- "to pull, draw").
"[A] word of early diffusion among the maritime peoples of Western Europe" [OED]. Meaning "body of an old, worn-out ship" is first recorded 1670s. The Hulks ("Great Expectations") were old ships used as prisons. Sense of "big, clumsy person" is first recorded c. 1400 (early 14c. as a surname: Stephen le Hulke).

HULK. In the sixteenth century the large merchantman of the northern nations. As she grew obsolete, her name was applied in derision to all crank vessels, until it came to be degraded to its present use, i.e., any old vessel unfit for further employment. [Geoffrey Callender, "Sea Passages," 1943]
hulk (v.)
"to be clumsy, unwieldy, or lazy," 1789, from hulk (n.) or a back-formation from hulking. Meaning "rise massively" is from 1880. Related: Hulked; hulking.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/hulk

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm no fan of Boris, but any PM would have to be crazy to hold a press conference with 75 protesters less than half the length of a cricket pitch away. He did right to walk.
He could simply take part for a couple of minutes and apologise to the TV audience that he can't be heard with all the noise.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I suspect the reason he walked away is that the he has run out of 'positivity' after lunch.

• :D
Reactions: flecc and oyster

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Nonsense my post was in response to one of yours it didn't come out of nowhere
Which one. Had you had one to requote you would have done so at time. You always requote me at every possible opportunity. Go back and find it. You are lying or deluded.
I have never ever said anything approaching I would benefit from "neat deals." Its not my style at all.
I wondered at time where on earth as that come from. I dont think anyone said it either. Its in your head OG. You dreamt it.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Boris asked for it to be moved inside and was told no....He was ambushed plain and simple. Pace out 10yrds and see how close it is.
Seems the way in UK at moment, knock and destroy what we have but offer no alternative. Exactly who or what do those protesters want in charge. Its the politics of what we dont want, all the time. And I mean that from both sides of argument.

• Agree
Reactions: Fingers and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Boris asked for it to be moved inside and was told no....He was ambushed plain and simple. Pace out 10yrds and see how close it is.
It was noisy but Bettel can be heard and understood without subtitle on the TV clip.
there was another film clip showing Bojo + Xavier Bettel and bunch of attaches walking toward the front garden where the podium was set up. My guess Bojo heard the noise and decided he did not fancy to say that 'fantastic progress' has been achieved by his visit.
I watched the interview he gave to BBC Laura Kuenssberg afterward, he looked tired and a bit deflated while still trying to convince the audience that with a bit of positivity, he and his government can do 'fantastic things'.
like obeying the law and delivering brexit no ifs no buts by Halloween. He is so illogical that simply makes it impossible to trust what he says.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It was noisy but Bettel can be heard and understood without subtitle on the TV clip.

Bettel: "you cannot hold the future hostage for political gains."
I bet Dominic Cummings would find Bettel funny.

Reactions: oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
there was another film clip showing Bojo + Xavier Bettel and bunch of attaches walking toward the front garden where the podium was set up. My guess Bojo heard the noise and decided he did not fancy to say that 'fantastic progress' has been achieved by his visit.
I watched the interview he gave to BBC Laura Kuenssberg afterward, he looked tired and a bit deflated while still trying to convince the audience that with a bit of positivity, he and his government can do 'fantastic things'.
like obeying the law and delivering brexit no ifs no buts by Halloween. He is so illogical that simply makes it impossible to trust what he says.
A telling comment from my wife yesterday... " Its not often I see a smile on Angela Merkel, but she was positively grinning on meeting BJ"

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract

Bettel: "you cannot hold the future hostage for political gains."
I bet Dominic Cummings would find Bettel funny.

Of course he can be heard...the person they were protesting about had gone.I'm pretty sure the volume would have increased for Boris. He would have been lucky not to have got a placard on his head. :D :D :D
The bloke outside the HOC was at least 50yrds away and you could still hear him on the news (until they started using head mikes) and he was just one bloke. the crowd wasn't 10yrds away by accident. The Luxembourg PM looked pretty pleased with himself.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and Fingers

Advertisers