Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Mind you I can agree with him that any additional delay will further damage relationships, but unsaid is that a no deal crashout will damage them more.
Indeed, bad in any way it transpires, but that's the history of Brexit to date. One can only wonder what further problems will result during the trade talks when they commence.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
He has clearly stated that he is against it.
That is treacherous behaviour.
Yes it is treacherous, but being against it is his personal view which has no more weight than me messaging Donald Tusk likewise. It's his accompanying request for the extension that has the weight that the EU has accepted.

The fact that both were sent together can be accepted that his signature applied to the entire message, particularly since his signed message acknowledges in writing that he also sent the request.

Therefore I don't think it needs to go to any court.

Last edited:

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
The constitutional norms of this country do not empower the PM to flout the law, the letter signed by Boris that says he doesn't want a delay is of no more significance than a piece of used toilet paper.
I expect versions of it will appear on ebay at a hefty starting bid as unsigned it will be like an extremely rare flawed stamp or banknote ;-)

• :D
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Really? where it the letter signed by his hand that does that? the letter signed by his hand does no such thing.
This needs to be tested in court, it is far too serious a breach of trust to be brushed under the carpet.
He was ordered to "Seek" an extension, no ifs, buts or maybe's and he deliberately tried to persuade the EU not to comply.
I agree it looks that way which is why I said earlier that the Supreme Court might be the ones who actually determine whether or not he has complied.

We could end up with the EU accepting it but the SC still saying he failed to comply.

As alluded to earlier, it is like sending an unsigned cheque to someone and at the same time sending a letter to your bank closing your account.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Unlike you I don't like treacherous criminals in positions of power, may I ask why you do?
Can you imagine any foreign country having faith in trusting the word of this unprincipled and arrogant liar when it comes to trust in treaty negotiations?
I don't, but Boris is our best chance of leaving with no deal...….then we can vote a Labour government in.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That's a guess or you have paranormal vision. ;)

Donald Tusk has personally Tweeted that he has received the request and is now consulting the EU leaders about the request.

I don't see anyone in the EU disputing his move, and no-one here realistically can in view of the Benn Act law.

As I've inferred, it's a fait accompli whether Johnson has signed or not, since either of the other verification sources are inevitable if required and requested.
I go with paranormal vision. Whereas I need glasses for looking at things in the present, my retrospective vision is at least 25:20 .. where 20:20 is merely perfect!

• :D

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I don't, but Boris is our best chance of leaving with no deal...….then we can vote a Labour government in.
Your sense of timing is catastrophic.
Labour needs to keep away from power or they will be the ones polluted by Brexit for a generation.
Why take on the problems created by the Conservatives?
Madness

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
I think the EU will grant an extension to A50. The Boris deal is a fabulous deal for them and they will be eager for us to accept it. It means the the EU will get the £39 Billion and they are under no obligation to give us a tariff free trade deal. The EU could slap tariffs on us, pocket £39 billion and win in every way possible. This would probably have been considered unthinkable dishonesty a few months ago, but Johnson has lowered the standards of professionalism too such a level where this type of behaviour is now the norm.

The best outcome for the UK is to scrap A50 now. The second best outcome is to have a second referendum and then act on the result, which will be to scrap A50 by a big majority.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As alluded to earlier, it is like sending an unsigned cheque to someone and at the same time sending a letter to your bank closing your account.
Not really, those would be two separate messages to two different destinations.

BJ sent two messages together to the same recipient. In the second one that he signed, he, by personally disagreeing with it, acknowledged the first message, thus showing that he'd sent it and had therefore complied with the Benn Act.

This is typical Boris in intent, purporting to be resolutely standing against all opponents to leave the EU as the populace wanted, while sneakily complying. However I see in the implementation the hand of Cummings.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
I don't, but Boris is our best chance of leaving with no deal...…..
..........and how will a no deal Brexit benefit us? What will be free to do after a no deal Brexit that we are not free to do now?

Oxygen James tried to answer this and failed spectacularly on every point that he raised. As has every single Brexit supporter that I have heard attempting to answer this same question.

Leaving is such a momentous event with such far reaching implications that you should be able to rattle off a list of advantages immediately.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I go with paranormal vision. Whereas I need glasses for looking at things in the present, my retrospective vision is at least 25:20 .. where 20:20 is merely perfect!
Things change, it's metric now with feet becoming metres, the old 20:20 expressed as 6:6.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I agree it looks that way which is why I said earlier that the Supreme Court might be the ones who actually determine whether or not he has complied.

We could end up with the EU accepting it but the SC still saying he failed to comply.

My concern is how the EU views this. The UK's internal shanigans defy consideration. I expect they will accept the combination of letters as legally seeking an extension. I would expect them to insert a provision into any extension. Whereas they might want a new General Election in the UK, that would be unwarranted interference in a sovereign state. I hope they demand a second referendum,in which revoke A50 is an option. This would not be interference,and might actually be welcomed by a sizeable majority in the HoC , if imposed externally. I could see even the DUP agreeing it,as it gets them off tge hook of their own making.
The only way this can be achieved would be by an extension,as the time is not there otherwise. Now the Trusk administration will be gone and the Von Layden administration installed.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
..........and how will a no deal Brexit benefit us? What will be free to do after a no deal Brexit that we are not free to do now?

Oxygen James tried to answer this and failed spectacularly on every point that he raised. As has every single Brexit supporter that I have heard attempting to answer this same question.

Leaving is such a momentous event with such far reaching implications that you should be able to rattle off a list of advantages immediately.
Well I can do that for you
A No Deal Break will benefit four groups
  1. Hedge Fund owners
  2. Offshore Tax haven swindlers
  3. People in the pay of Corporate America
  4. Ditto in the pay of Putin and other enemy states

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Well I can do that for you
A No Deal Break will benefit four groups
  1. Hedge Fund owners
  2. Offshore Tax haven swindlers
  3. People in the pay of Corporate America
  4. Ditto in the pay of Putin and other enemy states
..... ah, the pigeon fancier from Barnsley then?

Reactions: oldgroaner

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Really? where it the letter signed by his hand that does that? the letter signed by his hand does no such thing.
This needs to be tested in court, it is far too serious a breach of trust to be brushed under the carpet.
He was ordered to "Seek" an extension, no ifs, buts or maybe's and he deliberately tried to persuade the EU not to comply.
He will never be taken to court. An awful lot of folk can see exactly why he has done all this. Its all a sideshow. The act of any significance is EU deciding wether to grant an extension. BJ is hoping they dont, in which case he, s won. If they do he could still win vote. Its been to his advantage delaying the decision.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
He will never be taken to court. An awful lot of folk can see exactly why he has done all this. Its all a sideshow. The act of any significance is EU deciding wether to grant an extension. BJ is hoping they dont, in which case he, s won. If they do he could still win vote. Its been to his advantage delaying the decision.
I can't see how he can win. The basic arithmetic has not changed. The majority of MPs do not want no deal and the WAB bill will have tons of amendments to go through, even then, the HoL will likely vote down any attempt to rush through a Bojo's Act of parliament.
The EU will have no choice, they have to agree to an extension to get their divorce money.

Advertisers