Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Disagree, the House of Commons have repeatedly said the deal is not leaving, and the "all" is hardly true when N.I is left on the EU side of the border. And remember that in the Great Repeal Bill, parliament has written all existing EU law into UK law.

Our so called departure will not be completed until the trade negotiations are, so all further concessions then will add to the failures to separate within the Withdrawal Agreement and Great Repeal Bill.

We already know that the EU will have to largely retain its fishing rights in our waters, although our fishermen don't yet.

By the time its all over, the concept that we have left will just be a bad joke.
Well on this we disagree. The UK has left the EU. A special deal is in place with a small fraction of the UK, located on primarily EU territory, for people whose birthright is now EU citizenship. There is a transitional arrangement in place for the remainder of the UK,which terminates next December. That transitional arrangement could be extended by the UK requesting within 4 months another transitional extension.
What the HoC states and whatever laws they pass are now as far as the EU is concerned irrelevant. Your Great Repeal Bill etc is just for UK consumption.
The only game in town is the New Treaty arrangements that the UK and EU negotiate.
I wish it were not so, but wishing don't make it so.

Reactions: Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your Great Repeal Bill etc is just for UK consumption.
Hardly, within it it binds us to the whole panoply of accepted EU laws to date, including the ECJ being the final arbiter in many cases!

No matter what spin is put on it, we will only have left the future EU laws, rulings and monetary contributions that both parties will agree we've left by the end of the trade negotiations.

And that is a long way off and not the end of the year as BJ and some of his ministers seem to think. This whole matter is very far from over, just watch our forthcoming concessions, like that over fishing.

I foresee that the outcome will be a pale shadow of actually having left, to be followed over time with a regular flow of new agreements containing concessions of sovereignty, gradually binding us closer again. Today's world makes this inevitable.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
During an earlier age when dark times began, someone said this
"MY Dear Enst, you can rely on me to do anything that is expedient"

To keep right wing industrial and financial support on line

And now an equally deranged character repeats the message for the same reasons, and then repeats the act of expediency

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Yes when I saw the newly indoctrinated cabinet following BJ's lead I thought of this:

blackwhite- The ability to accept whatever "truth" the party puts out, no matter how absurd it may be. Orwell described it as "...loyal willingness to say black is white when party discipline demands this. It also means the ability to believe that black is white, and more, to know black is white, and forget that one has ever believed the contrary."

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So our troll PM, after all, he is besotted by bridges, doesn't even know when the budget will be.
it costs him next to nothing to put on a hard hat, make the announcement, get some applause and pay some first bills even.
The interest for the loan will be picked up by future generations.

Reactions: flecc and oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So our troll PM, after all, he is besotted by bridges, doesn't even know when the budget will be.
Nice observation on bridges! :D

As an aside and as you are in sparcely populated West, West Wales, I thought this contrast might amuse you.

With a delivery due I received a Yodel tracking email at 10.58 this morning. It announced, your driver is on stop 9 of 132 and there are 115 drops before yours.

He's now on the 100th drop since then, so you might wonder how on earth he could do that. The secret is that all 132 deliveries are within the map area below, so you'll gather that our housing density is a tad high round here:

Clipboard01.jpg

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

As an aside and as you are in sparcely populated West, West Wales, I thought this contrast might amuse you.

With a delivery due I received a Yodel tracking email at 10.58 this morning. It announced, your driver is on stop 9 of 132 and there are 115 drops before yours.

He's now on the 100th drop since then, so you might wonder how on earth he could do that. The secret is that all 132 deliveries are within the map area below, so you'll gather that our housing density is a tad high round here:

View attachment 34067
I did once work in that general area - Croydon Council offices. Yes, stayed in a few places down there, probably quite close by. :)

The first time I was ever surprised by giant rat running down the side of the building.

100 drops would probably take some guy a week round here. (Actually, last I remember I was about 70 and it arrived something like 14:00 or so.)

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

View attachment 34067
Flecc.. not a smart move. Since on many occasions you have indicated your flat borders a wood , Even a thick Irishman can figure out where the blue tag belongs.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc.. not a smart move. Since on many occasions you have indicated your flat borders a wood , Even a thick Irishman can figure out where the blue tag belongs.
I know, but it wouldn't help anyone, the blue tag roughly indicates a large block with three separate entrances and many dwellings within each.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Two words. Dual nationality. You may live in a binary limited conservative reality, I dont.
I have dual nationality too. My mother, an engineer, was German and worked on the development of rocket technology during the war. My father’s brother, “ Uncle Put” was a Wing Commander deployed as a Lancaster Pilot and he helped to destroy Dresden. He used to say that only achieved Wing Commander because he’d been around for longer than most of the others. Nearly everyone he knew during training died. He flew Airspeed Ambassadors after the war. He was a bit of a hero to me. It’s a funny old world, you have to laugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I have dual nationality too. My mother, an engineer, was German and worked on the development of rocket technology during the war. My father’s brother, “ Uncle Put” was a Wing Commander deployed as a Lancaster Pilot and he helped to destroy Dresden. He used to say that only achieved Wing Commander because he’d been around for longer than most of the others. Nearly everyone he knew during training died. He flew Airspeed Ambassadors after the war. He was a bit of a hero to me. It’s a funny old world, you have to laugh.
Yes, I bet if your mother and father's brother compared notes they'd agree it's a compelling argument for not letting populist idiots instill misguided feelings of patriotism in one.

• Agree
Reactions: Wicky

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Its good to know that alternative sources of nourishment are readily available

This could come as good news for the last cannibal tribes in the depths of the Amazon rain forest that have never had the benefit of targetted adverts from the Conservative party, and are struggling to maintain their traditional life style since recruiting missionaries has declined and the pope won't improve the situation by letting priests marry :cool:

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Yes, I bet if your mother and father's brother compared notes they'd agree it's a compelling argument for not letting populist idiots instill misguided feelings of patriotism in one.
The most remarkable thing for me is that it illustrates the futility of war. They never hated each other and laughed & joked together, but rewind to the war and they would have willingly killed each other because someone told them to. They weren’t stupid people either.

What’s the phrase, it’s easy to get the people to do the bidding of their leaders, you simply tell them they are under attack and denounce the pacifist as lacking patriotism.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
  • :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The most remarkable thing for me is that it illustrates the futility of war. They never hated each other and laughed & joked together, but rewind to the war and they would have willingly killed each other because someone told them to. They weren’t stupid people either.

What’s the phrase, it’s easy to get the people to do the bidding of their leaders, you simply tell them they are under attack and denounce the pacifist as lacking patriotism.
What’s the phrase, it’s easy to get the people to do the bidding of their leaders, you simply tell them they are under attack by the EU and denounce the remainers as lacking patriotism.
And it still works as we have witnessed

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
What’s the phrase, it’s easy to get the people to do the bidding of their leaders, you simply tell them they are under attack by the EU and denounce the remainers as lacking patriotism.
And it still works as we have witnessed
You can see that technique at work every day. Corbyn / Labour want to attack your finances (I actually think that is true) but they would have used it even if it wasn’t true. Your EU scenario is another good example, the EU were attacking our identity and sovereignty. The remainers were the pacifists lacking patriotism. So the foot soldiers went out and did their leader’s bidding by voting themselves out of work so that the leaders could accumulate more wealth.

I think the Nazis invented the technique. It’s actually genius.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers