Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Union to pursue unfair dismissal case after ex-Treasury aide Sonia Khan was marched out of Downing Street
I sometime wonder what's wrong with politicians, those in BJ's cabinet.
They are usually so full of themselves, then appear to be totally subservient to the point of ridiculously aping a Chinese school in their first TV appearance, then behave like last century's bosses.
She of course should sue her boss, BJ and his spad.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I sometime wonder what's wrong with politicians, those in BJ's cabinet.
They are usually so full of themselves, then appear to be totally subservient to the point of ridiculously aping a Chinese school in their first TV appearance, then behave like last century's bosses.
She of course should sue her boss, BJ and his spad.
Which is what I would like to see - and properly handled.

I do not want a secret pay-off.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
There is a place for eugenics and the obvious advantages it brings. Just because something has been misused by others is not a reason to permanently deprive ourselves of benefits.

It's just a question of having in place the legal safeguards to prevent abuse, just as we do already with human genetics.
I remind you that in Germany it was used for genocide and in America to sterilise the simple minded.
Great theory, but dangerous.
Here he is

And a quote
"“From a societal perspective the benefits of giving everyone modafinil once a week are probably worth a dead kid once a year,” he says, matter-of-factly.
"
And here is Dominic Cummings' new adivsor, Andrew Sabisky, speaking at a white nationalist eugenics conference, later shut down by UCL:

Another over educated so called clever individual, yet he failed to predict the outcome of the Referendum, for all his vaunted talent.
The man has a God complex, give him a Brush and some toilet cleaner.
And proper supervision in their use.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
There is a place for eugenics and the obvious advantages it brings. Just because something has been misused by others is not a reason to permanently deprive ourselves of benefits.

It's just a question of having in place the legal safeguards to prevent abuse, just as we do already with human genetics.
What we really need are legal safeguards that deport Boris back to America :cool:

• Disagree
Reactions: mike killay

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It should be possible to discuss these things openly, rather than blindly censor and suppress free speech and research.
freedom of speech is routinely used as excuse for extremist behaviour and the law does not help protecting those who are attacked.
A civilised society needs to protect first the weak before protecting those who attack them.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It should be possible to discuss these things openly, rather than blindly censor and suppress free speech and research.
Within limits! where some idiot proposes giving mind enhancing drugs to children that are potentially lethal because the end justifies the means and only "the odd one or two are killed"
Doesn't come within those limits, especially when expressed as an instrument of policy for a Nationalist organisation.
Scientific debate is fine. promoting fascist Uber mensh idealogy is not.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Being related to desperately handicapped kids who should never have been born, I see the misery that eugenics could have avoided.
It might not be well known, but the Muscular Dystrophy defect is carried on the X chromosome (ie the female line) and the counselling given to families has for many decades suggested that they avoid having any children.
I personally knew a few old people long in their graves now who heeded this sage advice and adopted instead.
Properly managed, Eugenics has a valuable place in society and just because it has been abused is no reason to have a blanket ban on it just because Himmler liked it.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
freedom of speech is routinely used as excuse for extremist behaviour and the law does not help protecting those who are attacked.
A civilised society needs to protect first the weak before protecting those who attack them.
Absolutely right
I should have though Brexit was the proof of that!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As posted earlier, with legal protections. A meeting like the one I commented on is not attacking anyone, it contained some ideas for potentially attacking which, when in the open, can be dealt with.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Being related to desperately handicapped kids who should never have been born, I see the misery that eugenics could have avoided.
It might not be well known, but the Muscular Dystrophy defect is carried on the X chromosome (ie the female line) and the counselling given to families has for many decades suggested that they avoid having any children.
I personally knew a few old people long in their graves now who heeded this sage advice and adopted instead.
Properly managed, Eugenics has a valuable place in society and just because it has been abused is no reason to have a blanket ban on it just because Himmler liked it.
America went so far as to sterilise people with "undesirable traits" during the 1930's and it was not co incidence that these same public spirited people looked with favour on Hitlers weeding out the sick.
Applying Eugenics is simply a dangerous intrusion into the human rights of the innocent
Advising people not to breed is one thing and fair enough, attacking their genetic code without their consent is simply an abuse of human rights.
The misery that Eugenics have caused historically should be a warning not to make it a mainstream thing, it is too easy to end up with people engineered to be a master race.
We have been there, it's a very dark place.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Within limits! where some idiot proposes giving mind enhancing drugs to children that are potentially lethal because the end justifies the means and only "the odd one or two are killed"
It's allowing him to say it openly that exposes the evil potential.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Applying Eugenics is simply a dangerous intrusion into the human rights of the innocent
Blinkered nonsense. We have it within our power to eliminate some conditions that cause endless pain, suffereing and misery.

The evil is in refusing to do so because it can also be used wrongly, while knowing that there can be legal safeguards to prevent such misuse.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
America went so far as to sterilise people with "undesirable traits" during the 1930's and it was not co incidence that these same public spirited people looked with favour on Hitlers weeding out the sick.
Advising people not to breed is one thing and fair enough, attacking their genetic code without their consent is simply an abuse of human rights.
The misery that Eugenics have caused historically should be a warning not to make it a mainstream thing, it is too easy to end up with people engineered to be a master race.
We have been there, it's a very dark place.
Eugenics in various forms have been around since the dawn of time. Many societies routinely exposed new born children to ensure that only the fittest survived.
Nobody is suggesting copying the Nazis and murdering handicapped people.
I am sorry, but there is too much knee jerk reaction to this subject just because the Nazis and irresponsible Americans abused it.
It has the potential to permanently breed out various genetic problems from the human race.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Eugenics in various forms have been around since the dawn of time.
Those who condemn eugenics make no mention of the fact that we in Britain terminate 98% of Downs syndrome pregnancies.

Wouldn't it be better to eliminate the possibility of Downs, rather than killing them after conception?

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Blinkered nonsense. We have it within our power to eliminate some conditions that cause endless pain, suffereing and misery.

The evil is in refusing to do so because it can also be used wrongly, while knowing that there can be legal safeguards to prevent such misuse.
Who decides who to eliminate? And on what grounds? This is a bit too much aldous huxley's brave new world. Human suffering has given us some of our most significant creative and scientific discoveries and breakthroughs. Van gogh or hawking could have been eliminated for their obvious genetic, psychological "deficits"

• Disagree
Reactions: flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Those who condemn eugenics make no mention of the fact that we in Britain terminate 98% of Downs syndrome pregnancies.

Wouldn't it be better to eliminate the possibility of Downs, rather than killing them after conception?
A relatively significant percentage of people with downs have iq's that are within the normal range

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Eugenics in various forms have been around since the dawn of time. Many societies routinely exposed new born children to ensure that only the fittest survived.
Nobody is suggesting copying the Nazis and murdering handicapped people.
I am sorry, but there is too much knee jerk reaction to this subject just because the Nazis and irresponsible Americans abused it.
It has the potential to permanently breed out various genetic problems from the human race.
This just about sums up Eugenics
"
Eugenics
Eugenics is a set of beliefs and practices that aim to improve the genetic quality of a human population by excluding certain genetic groups judged to be inferior, and promoting other genetic groups judged to be superior. The concept predates the term; Plato suggested applying the principles of selective breeding to humans around 400 BC.Wikipedia

Rather different from the notion of manipulating the genetic code in consenting individuals
As I have mentioned before my views are Humanist, perhaps this article link explains what the Humanist view is, it isn't me giving the "knee jerk reaction" but those supporting Eugenics for it's own sake
https://thehumanist.com/news/science/gene-editing-causing-revival-eugenics

The problem with Eugenics is that if it becomes thought foolproof
We will once again learn
Nothing is foolproof to the talented fool
Or despotic regime come to that, as in China to this very day
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/china-eugenics-history

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: flecc and Zlatan

Advertisers