Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That’s just a lot of unnecessary words to say, I have no idea what I’m talking about and make it up as I go along.

In the current situation, no information is better than bad information. Bad information tends to be the sort of guesswork you are posting.
Its not!!!. And it says something about you that you cannot understand the difference. Now check again a little more closely. Wherever I made an assumption , I have indicated it. In your enthusiasm to find fault, you fail to see the woods for the trees .

I am agreeing, that aerosol formation from normal tidal breathing expells viruses. The Study suggests the numbers of 100K per hour . These will be somewhat directed, but the plume will be dispersed within 0.5 metre. It then becomes broadly isotropic ..or at least wind born. This is why a greater distance is preferable.. volume cubes
Coughing and spluttering will produce a greater local concentration ..or viral load. Fortunately the range is limited.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
They are still thriving, they recently opened a second store near me, so I now have a choice of the Beckenham border to the north east or Biggin Hill to the south east, both around 4 miles.
We have a theoretical footpath to Screwfix. Unfortunately, where it i supposed to be alongside a little stream, you actually have to jump on rocks from one side to the other. So not really usable. Shame as it would cut off half a mile or so from the other route (which is drivable as well as walkable).

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
They are still thriving, they recently opened a second store near me, so I now have a choice of the Beckenham border to the north east or Biggin Hill to the south east, both around 4 miles.
Same here, but I’ve not been for a while. I’d like to support the business, but don’t want to put extra pressure in the staff at this time.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We have a theoretical footpath to Screwfix. Unfortunately, where it i supposed to be alongside a little stream, you actually have to jump on rocks from one side to the other. So not really usable. Shame as it would cut off half a mile or so from the other route (which is drivable as well as walkable).
With the tools they sell you could build a bridge. Give you something to do during lockdown!

Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Same here, but I’ve not been for a while. I’d like to support the business, but don’t want to put extra pressure in the staff at this time.
Yes, these kind of places are actually busier than usual. They don't hold litter pickers in stock to collect so I ordered one from Machine Mart, next day delivery. It arrived four days later.

It's to pick up possibly contaminated spilt refuse.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I think the real figure is much higher than 10x confirmed cases. There is a very high bar for a case to be confirmed; virtually no testing except in extreme cases, no registration of people self-isolating even when they know they almost certainly have it, and likelihood that many infected people have such mild symptoms they don't know they have it.
Yes. But I am referring to Ireland. Our ratio of tests to confirmed is sitting at 10% . I am conscious of my niece in Glasgow ,not tested , but confined with symptoms.

Reactions: POLLY and sjpt

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
With the tools they sell you could build a bridge. Give you something to do during lockdown!
I've got the tools! (Well, sufficient to do most if not the ideal for everything.) But about 100 metres of tumbling stream, extremely slippery rocks, mud and leaf litter, and no suitable materials and people to work with, no thank you. :)

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Assuming someone doesn't sneeze when doing a handstand. :)

Seriously though, there's often a breeze or other air movements such as from air conditioning which can mess up any predictions, so luck is a very big element.
True, but it will have far less effect on the large droplets carrying most of the virus. The fine aerosol wafted about by draughts etc. will carry less of the virus and will disperse over time leaving a low viral load on anything it lands on.

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
True, but it will have far less effect on the large droplets carrying most of the virus. The fine aerosol wafted about by draughts etc. will carry less of the virus and will disperse over time leaving a low viral load on anything it lands on.
All this talk of sneezing reminds me of an incident long ago.

Walking in the shopping area of Streatham HIgh Road I noticed an impossibly angelic looking little boy looking like one of the cherubs in an old painting.

Just as I was about to pass he gave a violent sneeze and a huge blob of snot shot from one nostril across the pavement into the road, quite destroying the image!

He'll be in his sixties now and is probably a super-spreader. :(

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Yes, these kind of places are actually busier than usual. They don't hold litter pickers in stock to collect so I ordered one from Machine Mart, next day delievery. It arrived four days later.

It's to pick up possibly contaminated spilt refuse.
It's very tempting to suggest where to send it, but with commendable restraint, I won't! :cool:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Classed as essentials like Halfords, Screwfix and MachineMart are doing similar to a degree, no store entry, service at the front with staff collecting the required item and contactless only payments.
Back in the years before widespread Sunday trading, I often thought that opening a service desk would have been sensible. Even now, a huge store could have a small service counter. Thus enabling it to trade but not needing a full complement of staff.

Note that on Sundays, Toolstation open all day whereas Screwfix abide by Sunday trading hours.

• Informative

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Another example of incompetence
Hancock who is ignoring WHO advice in front of a crowd of nut cases congregating without a care in the world outside the new departure lounge for the next world, for with the current loss of 66% rate of those put on ventilators that's about what it amounts to
I am appalled by this image. This person is STILL producing viruses and will be for the next 3 weeks . Anyone he contacts, his staff,, etc will be infected.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
https://bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-02/where-s-brexit-canceled-whitehall-meetings-say-delay-inevitable?fbclid=IwAR0eqPy0VuRfOyet8wwqWCmqYfaUkyHzYCwlATnOBWH3cVh03-09UGh7dPg… Neither the government nor business will be ready for Brexit. It has to be postponed.

oldgroaner@oldgroaner
We must have eaten our way through all the food in cold storage against a No Deal Brexit by now, where is the next lot to come from? Brexit is becoming a death wish by enemies of the nation, and for what exactly? Profiteers!

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Wales doing something (marginally) different:

The Welsh government is to make it a legal obligation for companies to ensure employees stay 2 metres apart. The law will come into force on Monday or Tuesday.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The USA is on line to surpass , Germany , Italy and Spain combined by the weekend in confirmed cases.
In fairness, the USA isn't far short of double the combined population of those three countries, so they are still well behind the curve.

I agree though that prospects look grim there.

Advertisers