Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
If he keeps this up Boris will be the long distance holder in the Coronavirus duration stakes
It would seem we can add another risk factor to apply in some cases
it's called
"Lack of intestinal fortitude"

Somebody please lock the bloody fridge door :cool:

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
My tweet
This attempt to portray Boris as a pound shop martyr is a farce, and getting in the way of good government. Step aside Boris till you get better.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Delighted that the government has backtracked and is now telling local authorities not to close parks unless they just cannot keep control of distancing. Public protest works. It vindicates everything that I was posting yesterday about how silly they were being with their extreme bullying of the public.

Now we need another change, this time to what they are saying about only going out once a day.

Although I don't have one myself, we've become to a fair extent a nation of dog owners, and most dogs need to be exercised twice daily. That is especially true for those who do not have gardens. This needs to be regularised by the government so that dog owners are not made to feel guilty or criticised by others about going out more than once.

This is another example of how this government fails to ask for knowledgeable advice before enforcing thoughtless measures.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Although I don't have one myself, we've become to a fair extent a nation of dog owners, and most dogs need to be exercised twice daily. That is especially true for those who do not have gardens. This needs to be regularised by the government so that dog owners are not made to feel guilty or criticised by others about going out more than once.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Synchronicity? Coincidental timing?

Regardless, the issue is important. We have already seen several stories where people have left it too late. Not clear that the wouldn't have died anyway, but there might have been a chance in some cases.

Fears that Britons self-isolating with Covid-19 may seek help too late

Lack of monitoring for those in severe phase of coronavirus could reduce survival chances
Concerns are being raised that people isolating at home with worsening Covid-19 symptoms may not call for medical help early enough when they enter the second, more severe phase of the virus, possibly reducing their chances of survival.

The NHS does not have a proper monitoring system for those suspected of having coronavirus, said Dr Bharat Pankhania, a senior clinical lecturer at the University of Exeter medical school.

“If a patient is developing pneumonia, it can get progressively worse very quickly and hence early admission upon the first signs of difficulty with breathing are very important,” he said.

“It is important for people recovering at home that there be a monitoring system in place too. Something that we have thus far not introduced.”

There is a danger that people will arrive in hospital only when their symptoms are very severe, with more of a risk that they will end up in critical care and possibly die, he believes.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/06/fears-britons-self-isolating-covid-19-seek-help-too-late

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Jason Groves

Raab now saying that if we don't observe the lockdown 'we won't get through the peak as fast as we need to'. I thought the whole point was to delay the peak

replying to Jason Groves

oldgroaner@oldgroaner
Basically Raab is saying saving profits is much more important than saving lives, which is as we all know Tory policy, always has been, and always will be.

Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Jason Groves

Raab now saying that if we don't observe the lockdown 'we won't get through the peak as fast as we need to'. I thought the whole point was to delay the peak

replying to Jason Groves

oldgroaner@oldgroaner
Basically Raab is saying saving profits is much more important than saving lives, which is as we all know Tory policy, always has been, and always will be.
I saw a statement earlier about getting over CV as fast as we want. I couldn't believe the stupidity of someone saying that - we WANT to get over it in picoseconds, if not sooner, don't we?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Got a new perspective on Covid-19 today, relatives of necesssity being kept in the dark about victims progress.

This morning my brother in Dorset was found by his daughter in a terrible state and seemingly dead in his flat, until a slight response showed he was still alive. Normally taken to the small Dorchester hospital, he was treated by the medics as a possible Covid case and taken by ambulance to Poole General Hospital. Judging by his state his daughter doesn't believe he will survive this. She is now in lockdown of course until there's a diagnosis.

Perhaps understandably the hospital doesn't appear to be answering the phone, so we have no idea how he is or whether he is still alive. We'll just have to be patient.

This must be happening to many all over the country in present circumstances when hospitals can barely cope with the patients, let alone worried relatives.

In our case we are not worried, simply resigned as he was too, since he is 87 with serious underlying issues from major heart and cancer surgeries over the last 8 years. He was fine yesterday when his daugher saw him and two days ago when we were chatting on the phone, so whatever the cause, it hit him fast.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Got a new perspective on Covid-19 today, relatives of necesssity being kept in the dark about victims progress.

This morning my brother in Dorset was found by his daughter in a terrible state and seemingly dead in his flat, until a slight response showed he was still alive. Normally taken to the small Dorchester hospital, he was treated by the medics as a possible Covid case and taken by ambulance to Poole General Hospital. Judging by his state his daughter doesn't believe he will survive this. She is now in lockdown of course until there's a diagnosis.

Perhaps understandably the hospital doesn't appear to be answering the phone, so we have no idea how he is or whether he is still alive. We'll just have to be patient.

This must be happening to many all over the country in present circumstances when hospital can barely cope with the patients, let alone worried relatives.

In our case we are not worried, simply resigned as he was too, since he is 87 with serious underlying issues from major heart and cancer surgeries over the last 8 years.
Sorry to read that, flecc, on so many levels. For you and so many others.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

This must be happening to many all over the country in present circumstances when hospitals can barely cope with the patients, let alone worried relatives.

In our case we are not worried, simply resigned as he was too, since he is 87 with serious underlying issues from major heart and cancer surgeries over the last 8 years. He was fine yesterday when his daugher saw him and two days ago when we were chatting on the phone, so whatever the cause, it hit him fast.
Sorry to hear that Flecc, all we can do is wish you and the family well and hope for a good outcome

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

My sympathy, it happened to a colleague's husband - best of wishes, the lack of direct contact and not knowing must be an ordeal and sudden breathing problems very distressing at any time in life.
I dont trust official stats at all, that care home with 13 deaths was no anomaly

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
When anyone tried to support Boris point them at this
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/28/exercise-cygnus-uncovered-pandemic-warnings-buried-government/

And read about exercise cygnus.
That was published on 28/03/2020. So we are way beyond the "coming week". Have we seen reliable supply chains providing sufficient PPE?

In their defence, insiders say that while the Cygnus findings have not been published they were acted on in part at least. Projected shortages of PPE and ICU beds were not filled with bulk purchase because of cash constraints and worries they would become outdated or obsolete if left in storage. Instead work was done on securing reliable supply chains - something they say we will see evidence of this coming week in terms of PPE.

Given worldwide, simultaneous demand for PPE, just what reliable supply chains are to be relied upon?

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
That was published on 28/03/2020. So we are way beyond the "coming week". Have we seen reliable supply chains providing sufficient PPE?

In their defence, insiders say that while the Cygnus findings have not been published they were acted on in part at least. Projected shortages of PPE and ICU beds were not filled with bulk purchase because of cash constraints and worries they would become outdated or obsolete if left in storage. Instead work was done on securing reliable supply chains - something they say we will see evidence of this coming week in terms of PPE.

Given worldwide, simultaneous demand for PPE, just what reliably supply chains are to be reliaed upon?
They had years to prepare and failed to do so.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Apparently Boris has been moved to intensive care
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/06/coronavirus-live-news-boris-johnson-admitted-to-hospital-as-trump-again-touts-hydroxychloroquine

Over the course of this afternoon, the condition of the prime minister has worsened and, on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the intensive care unit at the hospital.

The PM has asked Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, who is the first secretary of state, to deputise for him where necessary.

The PM is receiving excellent care, and thanks all NHS staff for their hard work and dedication.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Apparently Boris has been moved to intensive care
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/06/coronavirus-live-news-boris-johnson-admitted-to-hospital-as-trump-again-touts-hydroxychloroquine

Over the course of this afternoon, the condition of the prime minister has worsened and, on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the intensive care unit at the hospital.

The PM has asked Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, who is the first secretary of state, to deputise for him where necessary.

The PM is receiving excellent care, and thanks all NHS staff for their hard work and dedication.
And are they still insisting he is in charge?

(I don't see "deputise where necessary" as sufficient.)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020

I’m very sorry to hear your situation and hope you receive positive news from the hospital soon. This is a cruel disease.

Advertisers