Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Partner has been purchasing some products for hobby purposes from an Italian supplier for some time. This year, they have a message on their website indicating issues...

She has communicated with them and been told no, they are not yet sorted. And when they are there will be a minimum order of £135. Effectively trade only with VAT burden on recipient. Obviously unwilling to take on the burden of VAT.

The company does have quite a number of UK customers so, I imagine, would be wanting to continue their trading. But if the impact/risks/costs are too great, obviously they won't.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Absinthe is between 90 and 148 proof.

As well as making the heart grow fonder.
Absinthe ice cream is to die for!

Pretty much a standard creamy custard - pour in absinthe. Freeze in an ice cream maker of any sort. (We have a cheapie that goes in the freezer and turns from time to time.

Reactions: flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Absinthe ice cream is to die for!

Pretty much a standard creamy custard - pour in absinthe. Freeze in an ice cream maker of any sort. (We have a cheapie that goes in the freezer and turns from time to time.
We bought a bottle in Spain, think it was banned in France, its only bottle of spirit we, ve ever had in house that never got touched once tasted. Think stuff with Wormwood in is hallucigenic??? Believe its why it was banned in France... Weird stuff.
Some of older chaps in France insisted only way to drink it was through sugar cubes..??

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Just saw this as a comment on the Guardian:

I'd just like to draw attention to the very sad death of Robert Rowland the ex-Brexit MEP for the South East of England.​

Nigel Farage explained that 'It is with great sadness that I have to announce the death of Robert Rowland, after a diving accident near his home in the Bahamas.'​

I'm sure that the effects of Brexit on the Bahamas may have contributed to his decision to go on a diving jaunt .... What a sad day !!!​

Of course I'm not saying that the people who voted for him had the wool pulled over their eyes, I'm sure they knew the full facts ....​

Followed by:

Yes I saw this report.​
It's sad that he's died etc.​
But I wonder how many of those patriots who voted for him (and who are currently locked down and dealing with the consequences of Brexit) will appreciate the irony of him dying near his home in the Bahamas.​

• Informative

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
According to Worldometer UK's number of infected was circa 22k today. Lowest its been for a long time. Noticed before that when numbers drop very little is made of it on news. Wondering if its policy to keep people following restrictions??
Didn't see News on all sides but certainly never mentioned on side I watched..???
Last Monday was 37k..

• :D
  • Informative
Reactions: oyster and POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
According to Worldometer UK's number of infected was circa 22k today. Lowest its been for a long time. Noticed before that when numbers drop very little is made of it on news. Wondering if its policy to keep people following restrictions??
Didn't see News on all sides but certainly never mentioned on side I watched..???
Last Monday was 37k..
BBC Radio 4 news did report it on the 6pm news, don't know about their TV news.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: oyster and Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Other issue I find odd, but pleasing, is that in the April wave it took a month for daily infection rates to halve. They halved in around a week this time. The graph is much steeper gradient decline for January. Experts said it would be a slow decline?? Its quite marked on the graph???

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Think stuff with Wormwood in is hallucigenic??? Believe its why it was banned in France...
Seems it is largely a myth:

"Absinthe has often been portrayed as a dangerously addictive psychoactive drug and hallucinogen.[9] The chemical compound thujone, which is present in the spirit in trace amounts, was blamed for its alleged harmful effects. By 1915, absinthe had been banned in the United States and in much of Europe, including France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, and Austria–Hungary, yet it has not been demonstrated to be any more dangerous than ordinary spirits. Recent studies have shown that absinthe's psychoactive properties have been exaggerated, apart from that of the alcohol.[9]

A revival of absinthe began in the 1990s, following the adoption of modern European Union food and beverage laws that removed long-standing barriers to its production and sale. By the early 21st century, nearly 200 brands of absinthe were being produced in a dozen countries, most notably in France, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, and the Czech Republic."

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: oyster and Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Other issue I find odd, but pleasing, is that in the April wave it took a month for daily infection rates to halve. They halved in around a week this time. The graph is much steeper gradient decline for January. Experts said it would be a slow decline?? Its quite marked on the graph???
Immunity perhaps. With so many previously infected with some degree of effects, there's probably far fewer who can easily be infected out there.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Seems it is largely a myth:

"Absinthe has often been portrayed as a dangerously addictive psychoactive drug and hallucinogen.[9] The chemical compound thujone, which is present in the spirit in trace amounts, was blamed for its alleged harmful effects. By 1915, absinthe had been banned in the United States and in much of Europe, including France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, and Austria–Hungary, yet it has not been demonstrated to be any more dangerous than ordinary spirits. Recent studies have shown that absinthe's psychoactive properties have been exaggerated, apart from that of the alcohol.[9]

A revival of absinthe began in the 1990s, following the adoption of modern European Union food and beverage laws that removed long-standing barriers to its production and sale. By the early 21st century, nearly 200 brands of absinthe were being produced in a dozen countries, most notably in France, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, and the Czech Republic."

Never banned in the UK - we had sovereignty over that despite being in the EU, just as it was banned in France and remained so until relatively recently by virtue of their sovereignty.

(Similarly, desiccated thyroid medicine is actually illegal in France. The story of why is based on mistakes. But legal - though rarely prescribed - in the UK.)

• Informative

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I am sure you have all noticed how reluctant Ministers and Health Officials have been to disclose how much vaccine supply they have and how much they are likely to get over the coming weeks.

Speculation on a Newsnight programme a week or two ago thought that it may be that we did not want the EU to know how much supply we had been promised, because their citizens may well get rather annoyed if they are not been supplied at a similar rate.

It seems that Newsnight may well have been correct in their speculation. AZ are starting to come under pressure now from the EU, read the details here.

EU threatens to block Covid vaccine exports amid AstraZeneca shortfall | World news | The Guardian

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Who do you think AZ are going to want to keep sweet, the UK or the EU (assuming they don't have enough supply to satisfy both parties)? Or to put it another way who has most leverage on AZ the UK or the EU?

I don't know the answers to these questions, I would guess it was the EU, but due to the vaccine being developed in Oxford I'm wondering if it might be the UK.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Who do you think AZ are going to want to keep sweet, the UK or the EU (assuming they don't have enough supply to satisfy both parties)? Or to put it another way who has most leverage on AZ the UK or the EU?
UK.
The EU may NOT approve AZ vaccine for the elderly.
QUOTE:
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - AstraZeneca denied on Monday its COVID-19 vaccine is not very effective for people over 65, after German media reports said officials fear the vaccine may not be approved in the European Union for use in the elderly.

A spokesman for AstraZeneca, said:

“Reports that the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine efficacy is as low as 8% in adults over 65 years are completely incorrect. In the UK, the JCVI supported use in this population and MHRA included this group without dose adjustment in the authorisation for emergency supply. In November, we published data in The Lancet demonstrating that older adults showed strong immune responses to the vaccine, with 100% of older adults generating spike-specific antibodies after the second dose.’”

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
UK.
The EU may NOT approve AZ vaccine for the elderly.
QUOTE:
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - AstraZeneca denied on Monday its COVID-19 vaccine is not very effective for people over 65, after German media reports said officials fear the vaccine may not be approved in the European Union for use in the elderly.

A spokesman for AstraZeneca, said:

“Reports that the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine efficacy is as low as 8% in adults over 65 years are completely incorrect. In the UK, the JCVI supported use in this population and MHRA included this group without dose adjustment in the authorisation for emergency supply. In November, we published data in The Lancet demonstrating that older adults showed strong immune responses to the vaccine, with 100% of older adults generating spike-specific antibodies after the second dose.’”
It's all a remainer plot.. or something... the truth is out there...Priti Patel and Dianne Abbott did the math between them
Not that the truth really matters anymore in these septic isles.
"Per Ardua ad AstraZeneca"
cue the Spitfire fly past
:D

• :D
Reactions: oyster

Advertisers