Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
HMG must be looking forward to tomorrow's case:

Tomorrow sees our legal challenge for Government’s failure to disclose details of COVID-19-related contracts. The case is being brought by Good Law Project along with a cross-party group of MPs – Caroline Lucas (Green), Debbie Abrahams (Labour) and Layla Moran (LibDem).

Ahead of the hearing, Government has disclosed how much public money it has spent defending its conduct. It makes for an eye-watering read.

Government has used a huge legal team – nine solicitors and five barristers – to prepare for a one day hearing with just one witness. And its costs stand at a staggering £207,784. A private litigant doesn’t have the bulk purchasing power of the state and its costs are often higher. But Good Law Project’s costs stand at just £81,854. And that £207,784 has been spent defending what Government has explicitly admitted to be persistent and unlawful conduct.

https://goodlawproject.org/update/buying-injustice/

• Informative
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
A study of people in the Orthodox Jewish Community in London and requested by them has shown that their Covid-19 infection rate has been consistently far higher then elsewhere in London throughout and one of the world's highest rates.

They have 65% of their population infected, rising to 75% for all secondary school pupils and working age adults, against only 10% in all other Londoners.

It's not known why but guesses include crowded living conditions and deprivation. Perhaps being "God's chosen people" isn't as much of a blessing as they thought, with God making the choices.

Information link
This has only happened since we killed off his locusts and flies with insecticides :D

Reactions: Woosh and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I remember the coast watch station in St Ives Cornwall. When I visited in the 1970 on holiday with my parents, it was a Coast Guard station linked with assets at RNAS Culdrose. Now it’s just old men doing it on a voluntary basis. It seems more of a social club for them to drink tea, eat biscuits and reminisce. There’s nothing wrong with that, but we mustn’t kid ourselves it’s a Coast Guard.
He's right you know, summer before last I went up the hill to the station at Cape Cornwall and spent a pleasant time having what the coastwatch do explained over a cup of tea.
He was about my age and glad of a bit of company

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This has only happened since we killed off his locusts and flies with insecticides :D
We should be ok now then, this afternoon's edition of Radio 4's "The Infinite Monkey Cage" was "In Praise of Flies", and it was about the insects, not the front of trousers.

Reactions: oyster

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
The virus mutations we are seeing is a timely reminder of how important it is that as many people on the planet need vaccinating as quickly as possible. If we just vaccinate in the wealthy countries, new mutations will be prevalent in poorer countries and they will spread. The more frequently the virus mutates, the greater the probability it will become resistant to the current vaccines.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Promising news regarding the Oxford AZ vaccine.

1) There is an early sign that it reduces transmission.

2) No drop in protection levels at 13 weeks after just one dose. The calculated / balanced risk to extend the vaccination interval looks like it may pay-off.

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Daughter just phoned. Feeling a bit under weather yesterday. Had a test, it's positive.
Seems she, s picked it up through 4 Yr old and nursery. No positive tests at her fire station but little lad sent home couple of days ago after member of staff found positive.
Bit worried but she, s only 37 and had jab about 6 weeks ago.. Not great times...

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Daughter just phoned. Feeling a bit under weather yesterday. Had a test, it's positive.
Seems she, s picked it up through 4 Yr old and nursery. No positive tests at her fire station but little lad sent home couple of days ago after member of staff found positive.
Bit worried but she, s only 37 and had jab about 6 weeks ago.. Not great times...
Not the news you want to hear, but the odds of a full & quick recovery are stacked in her favour.
Hope she soon shakes it off.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I'd have accepted it. The Russians have a great record in medicine, often leading the West.
I am continually disappointed at how few Russian papers make it into PubMed (or EuroPMC).

There is one particular paper I have been trying to find for years - at least the abstract did make it onto PubMed. But still not found.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Interesting about mutations. When I feed the starter, I discard 66% of it and replenish the discard with fresh flour and water. I thought you could keep that going indefinitely. I’m sure the Savoy Hotel has a sourdough which is over 100 years old. Or have I imagined that?
You probably could keep a culture going for years although I can't think why anyone would want to, Yeast is produced under laboratory conditions to prevent contamination so not easy to do at home.
The best method of storage is freezing then it lasts for ages, I used to get fresh Yeast from Sweden and shove it in the freezer. Having tried dozens of yeasts over many years including some from bakeries I eventually came to the conclusion there was little difference in whatever you used It's all down to the flour recipe and method, when you have that cracked you can create anything.

• Agree
Reactions: Jesus H Christ

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'd have accepted it. The Russians have a great record in medicine, often leading the West.
Sputnik V uses a different adenovirus for the second jab, 21 days after the first.
It seems to do better at trials compared to the AZ vaccine.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
It seems to do better at trials compared to the AZ vaccine.
Of course it does, it’s not had British involvement in its development.

The inferior Oxford vaccine not only gives an impressive level of protection for up to 12 weeks, it’s also very effective at reducing transmission. And that’s after just one jab.

It looks like the one dose to as many people as possible strategy is another winner against this virus.

Covid-19: Study showing Oxford vaccine slows virus spread 'superb' - Hancock https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55913913

Last edited:
Reactions: POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Of course it does, it’s not had British involvement in its development.

The inferior Oxford vaccine not only gives an impressive level of protection for up to 12 weeks, it’s also very effective at reducing transmission. And that’s after just one jab.

It looks like the one dose to as many people as possible strategy is another winner against this virus.

Covid-19: Study showing Oxford vaccine slows virus spread 'superb' - Hancock https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55913913
If they gave us half a dose, would that enable even more to get their first dose more quickly?

(A degree of flippancy given the trial data - but nonetheless, a genuine question/thought.)

Advertisers