Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It's the defect of democracy, potentially as dangerous as a single person dictatorship and often far less efficient than a collective dictatorship. Just look at the efficient way China's party led dictatorship handled its internal Covid-19 pandemic. And all sorts of other crises over the decades. And its explosive economic growth.

Democracy can't begin to get close to those performances.
Flecc. The Chinese would argue that what they have is Democracy. The greatest good for the collective. And that the rights of the community override any individuals right to life, prosperity

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Here in Essex there are 50 year old folk in good health (not shielding) getting invited for vaccination. Causing much confusion esp with 70+ yo folk who haven't heard diddly squat.
Maybe, maybe not. How aware are the general public about his underlying conditions, or personal circumstances. Unless they knew him well, folk would see my son with CF as healthy.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Totally off topic, but I, m sat at my garage bench working on this at moment.
View attachment 40654

Its a Villiers 37a 250 from a 1967 Cotton Trials. Brought it upto date. Electronic ignition, heavy flywheel, high compression barrel (removed material from base), new forged piston, (plus 20 over bore) full circle crank, new bearings, oil seals, gaskets, crankcase stuffers, new clutch.. Beats sim racer.. Keeps me out of house and trouble.
Thought somebody might be interested.
..not out of trouble... You are in my bad books.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc. The Chinese would argue that what they have is Democracy. The greatest good for the collective. And that the rights of the community override any individuals right to life, prosperity
Of course that's their view, but it is wrong of course. It is a one party dictatorship without the all embracing public choice intrinsic to democracy.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Nice job Zlatan. I’ve got a 1964 Triumph motorbike & engine awaiting attention in my garage. It was my dad’s bike.
So was this... Well my dad's.. Not yours. He bought it in 1968...I sort of inherited it. Been sat in my garage in bits for 5 years... I took it apart with great intentions... With lockdown had time to get all the bits and crack on.. Will go to one of grandkids now...

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It is going to be used in anger? Will it pass scrutineering with all the modern mods as they can be quite strict with that kind of thing - they can be in the Pre65 / Pre74 motocross/scrambles world.
No, I, ll be just playing on it.. I think they allow electronic ignition but I, d be weak link if I went back to trialing. Got too difficult in 1972...!???
Its just to get it back up and running. The coils were all shot, was as cheap to fit e ignition as mess about with new coils, points etc etc.. But I, ve kept old flywheel mag, points etc so could go back standard..

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Maybe, maybe not. How aware are the general public about his underlying conditions, or personal circumstances. Unless they knew him well, folk would see my son with CF as healthy.
Its cropped up in a local community FB group for Colchester. With people asking if it's hoax due to their age (50 odd) and otherwise healthy. Seems they're able to make appointments. Leaving some unvaccinated 70+ year olds in the group a bit perplexed.

Practice Nurse at NHS piped up "It’s not a scam we are sending texts " for group 5*...

* The top four priority areas cover all residents and staff in care homes for older adults the over 70s, all frontline health and social care workers and everyone who is clinically extremely vulnerable.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and Zlatan

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Speaking of Trump, Kraken etc there was a report on CNN late last night about what was really going on in relation to the US election & the voting system.
Apparently there was a meeting in the Oval Office where a group of around 5 or 6 individuals headed by Sidney Powell, this bunch was nicknamed "The Kraken". The plan they had was to invoke what would have been in reality Marshall Law whereby the Military & other authorities would seize mailboxes and remove all votes that would be going to the Dems.
It sounds absolutely ridiculous but that's what they wanted to do and luckily their plan was stymied.
As this meeting took place in the Oval Office presumably Trump was present at the time to give it the thumbs up, it amazes me that all these people are not under lock & key as they clearly did not have the best interests of the US at heart.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Of course that's their view, but it is wrong of course. It is a one party dictatorship without the all embracing public choice intrinsic to democracy.
We all have variations on what constitutes democracy. How much " all embracing choice " is there in the UK ? In Russia? , in France? , in the USA or even in Ireland. We all have political dynasties in families .. I'm just quibbling

Reactions: Zlatan and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We all have variations on what constitutes democracy. How much " all embracing choice " is there in the UK ? In Russia? , in France? , in the USA or even in Ireland. We all have political dynasties in families .. I'm just quibbling
Huge choice!

In the USA's democracy they elected a dictator who said he refused to relinquish office and got his supporters to attack the seat of government to assist him to stay in power.

And we got too close for comfort with Thatcher.

These pretty much define all embracing choice.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Wonderful - whole new categories of medicine product licence numbering. That will simplify things...

PL has been standard for years. PLNI and PLGB are new. (There's also PLPI for parallel Imports - which I had never previously noticed. Might have existed and just be my ignorance.)

There are no search results for levothyroxine 0142-0104

If the product information you are seeking does not appear below, it is possible that the product holds a European licence and its information may be available at the European Medicines Agency website.

Before a medicine can be sold in the UK, a number of licences are essential. Products with a UK marketing authorisation have a licence number in the format ‘PL 12345/0001’, ‘PLGB 12345/0002’ or ‘PLNI 12345/0003’. The licence number can be found on the packaging of the product and the first 2 characters are always contain the letters ‘PL’.

You can identify the product in the list below using the PL, PLGB or PLNI number.

The information about a medicine will be updated when new evidence becomes available. This may mean that there are differences between the information in the pack and the information here. The most up-to-date information will be available on this site.

https://products.mhra.gov.uk/search/?search=levothyroxine+0142-0104&page=1&doc=Spc&rerouteType=0

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Remember, I warned you about trusting one of the Bell's
But did you listen? oh dear no....... :D :D :D
(especially one with a full head of hair..)
Apparently he's a Government adviser, even for a Bell that's pretty devious...on the bright side.....profitable though
" 'On testing, all roads lead to Bell. There's no way round him and no way through him. Everyone defers to him in government.' "
Well at least he's keeping a long held tradition alive
"Making an offer you can't refuse"
I wonder what he's got on them ;)

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Wonderful - whole new categories of medicine product licence numbering. That will simplify things...

PL has been standard for years. PLNI and PLGB are new. (There's also PLPI for parallel Imports - which I had never previously noticed. Might have existed and just be my ignorance.)

There are no search results for levothyroxine 0142-0104

If the product information you are seeking does not appear below, it is possible that the product holds a European licence and its information may be available at the European Medicines Agency website.

Before a medicine can be sold in the UK, a number of licences are essential. Products with a UK marketing authorisation have a licence number in the format ‘PL 12345/0001’, ‘PLGB 12345/0002’ or ‘PLNI 12345/0003’. The licence number can be found on the packaging of the product and the first 2 characters are always contain the letters ‘PL’.

You can identify the product in the list below using the PL, PLGB or PLNI number.

The information about a medicine will be updated when new evidence becomes available. This may mean that there are differences between the information in the pack and the information here. The most up-to-date information will be available on this site.

https://products.mhra.gov.uk/search/?search=levothyroxine+0142-0104&page=1&doc=Spc&rerouteType=0
Oh great, I give one of those tablets first thing every morning an hour before breakfast.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Only one of mine has a PL number, the second medicine has a PC number.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Huge choice!

In the USA's democracy they elected a dictator who said he refused to relinquish office and got his supporters to attack the seat of government to assist him to stay in power.

And we got too close for comfort with Thatcher.

These pretty much define all embracing choice.
That is assuming that it is the elected representatives who hold all the power, when we all know there is an understanding between senior military, lawyers, judiciary, ,police, senior civil servants, senior academics in each of these countries .. in the UK its the establishment, in the US the "Swamp " ... We have our own name!.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
there are plenty who like his politics: straightforward simple yes/no, distrust of foreigners and low taxes.
Trump was a populist, he give nice simple answers to complex questions. These answers are usually lies, but the problem is, as James Comey the sacked head of the FBI said, Trump showed that lying works.

I watch a lot of historical documentaries, many of them on the second world war. I don't know if Trump ever watched any of them but the way he played to crowds during his speeches in particular his body language, his hand gestures and facial expressions are fairly similar to Mussolini.

Mussolini was a populist too, and gave nice simple answers to complex questions, the scary thing is, if it had not been for Covid 19 Trump almost certainly would have won a second term and I suspect that might have been the end of democracy in the USA.

The problem going forward is that the hard right in the USA have now seen how lying and populism works, and even if Trump does not try for the presidency again then someone using the Trump play book, but more intelligence is quite likely to become president in the next few years.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The problem going forward is that the hard right in the USA have now seen how lying and populism works, and even if Trump does not try for the presidency again then someone using the Trump play book, but more intelligence is quite likely to become president in the next few years.
And that's the value of China and it's growing strength.

US power needs to be balanced by power elsewhere, especially now with the loss of the USSR to a weakened Russia.

Advertisers