Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

If its true a step in right direction.??
It's questionable. I'm not at all happy about the intent to lose the competitive tendering of the private sector against the NHS,

Firstly that kept the NHS on its toes to be more efficient. Secondly it could mean the end of NHS Redirect allowing us to choose where we have our free NHS treatment, in an NHS hospital or a private sector one, something I've twice used to great advantage.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
We all have variations on what constitutes democracy. How much " all embracing choice " is there in the UK ? In Russia? , in France? , in the USA or even in Ireland. We all have political dynasties in families .. I'm just quibbling
Our political dynasty is called "Eton" we get the moneyed dregs of the whole world through there.
Reminiscent of the guild of thieves from Pratchett's Discworld, (or was it the Assassins?
And of course another possibility is The ladies
"guild of Negotiable affection" :cool:

Reactions: flecc and oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Our political dynasty is called "Eton" we get the moneyed dregs of the whole world through there.
Reminiscent of the guild of thieves from Pratchett's Discworld, (or was it the Assassins?
I think if you look closely, you will find a lot of UK money still resides with Norman families.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Trump was a populist, he give nice simple answers to complex questions. These answers are usually lies, but the problem is, as James Comey the sacked head of the FBI said, Trump showed that lying works.

I watch a lot of historical documentaries, many of them on the second world war. I don't know if Trump ever watched any of them but the way he played to crowds during his speeches in particular his body language, his hand gestures and facial expressions are fairly similar to Mussolini.

Mussolini was a populist too, and gave nice simple answers to complex questions, the scary thing is, if it had not been for Covid 19 Trump almost certainly would have won a second term and I suspect that might have been the end of democracy in the USA.

The problem going forward is that the hard right in the USA have now seen how lying and populism works, and even if Trump does not try for the presidency again then someone using the Trump play book, but more intelligence is quite likely to become president in the next few years.
We've got an American they can have (if you accept he isn't intelligent, although if you are only comparing him to Trump he might scrape through)
And he comes with a ready made merry band of evil advisers:cool:

• Agree
  • :D
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Bolshevics sorted all stuff like that out for Russia in 1917...was a great step forward. Just swapped one ruling class for another. That's all that ever happens. Current Labour perfect example.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Figures released yesterday (Friday 5th) showed London’s R rate has dropped to a best estimate of 0.6 to 0.8 — the lowest in the country — suggesting infections are heading for a significant decline over the next few weeks.

The figure means infections may be falling anywhere between two and seven per cent each day. It also plunges London’s rate of reproduction of the virus to the lowest of any region in the country, with the R rate in England currently at a best estimate of 0.7 to 0.9

Looks like we are doing well here too.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Figures released yesterday showed London’s R rate has dropped to a best estimate of 0.6 to 0.8 — the lowest in the country — suggesting infections are heading for a significant decline over the next few weeks.

The figure means infections may be falling anywhere between two and seven per cent each day. It also plunge London’s rate of reproduction of the virus to the lowest of any region in the country, with the R rate in England currently at a best estimate of 0.7 to 0.9

Shame the stabbing rate escalated...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Shame the stabbing rate escalated...
That's my borough of Croydon, not London generally.

It's not a problem though, we've long had a sub group of the population who go around hurting each other. That's no bother for the well over 90% of us who are unaffected and in killing each other it's self limiting.

Reactions: oyster

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Figures released yesterday (Friday 5th) showed London’s R rate has dropped to a best estimate of 0.6 to 0.8 — the lowest in the country — suggesting infections are heading for a significant decline over the next few weeks.

The figure means infections may be falling anywhere between two and seven per cent each day. It also plunges London’s rate of reproduction of the virus to the lowest of any region in the country, with the R rate in England currently at a best estimate of 0.7 to 0.9

Covid's non-existent down here on the coast, at least that's how it seems. Streets busy again with cars everywhere kids on their bikes and not a mask in sight, like the war people have just kept calm and carried on ignoring all advice and just bundled through it all. I think many just tired of it with non-stop news on tv covering covid, no pubs - no footie - no nothing, every one I know just does what they always did which is down mum's for Sunday roast and round your mates for a few pints of an evening. If I were to stop a neighbour outside and ask how they are bearing up under the strain I'd get a sideways glance, nobody talks of covid anymore they just don't want to know.
Incidentally I know of only one person who's had the jab, a young lady who works with the homeless and again no one talks of vaccination in this area....strange but true.
I do have a theory that there are those that will say they had the jab but haven't, just a feeling I have inside. After all you don't have to walk around with documents to prove it so it's a case of yes I have now let's talk about something else.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Flecc. The Chinese would argue that what they have is Democracy. The greatest good for the collective. And that the rights of the community override any individuals right to life, prosperity
Yes if it wasn't for their big houses, limousines and fancy suits the rice farmers and government officials would be like peas in a pod. :D :D :D

Advertisers