Brexit, for once some facts.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Just watching the US Open Lady’s tennis final. Such a refreshing change from a Williams brothers drug fuelled smash-fest.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I missed the final (hammering home from bealieu estuary, which is an unexpectedly pretty if muddy place by south coast standards,
Agreed, I use to unlawfully moor overnight up the river there on odd occasions, slipping away in the early mornings before being detected.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
But we can't celebrate it after the Brexit vote made it clear we British go it alone, not in partnership with foreigners.

Emma was born in Canada to a Romanian father and a Chinese mother.

Not much British about that. :(
flecc, not wanting to cross swords with you, but would you describe yourself as British?. . If that young lady has gone to school in the UK for more than 9 years, I would see her as British.
As young Arthur Wellesley, A Dubliner who went to School in Drogheda Co. Louth , but otherwise spent his life in England working for the Crown unfortunately said " one can be born in a stable , but does not make one a horse ". I see Wellington as quintessentially British.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
flecc, not wanting to cross swords with you, but would you describe yourself as British?. . If that young lady has gone to school in the UK for more than 9 years, I would see her as British.
As young Arthur Wellesley, A Dubliner who went to School in Drogheda Co. Louth , but otherwise spent his life in England working for the Crown unfortunately said " one can be born in a stable , but does not make one a horse ". I see Wellington as quintessentially British.
No, I'm not British, there's no such nationality, I'm English.

But that aside I think you missed the point of my post. I was being critical of the two faced Brexiters xenophobism which so conveniently disappears when a foreign national does something excellent in the name of Britain. This country has a long history of doing that.

Emma is a Canadian national who also acquired "British" nationality by virtue of her parents gaining it after settling here when she was young. Apparently she also speaks fluent Mandarin, watches Taiwanese TV and loves Romanian food courtesy of her grandmother, so not exactly a typical Briton. That said I have the greatest admiration for her, not for her superb tennis which is not an interest of mine, but for the fact she is such a capable truly international person. Would that everyone was in this fractious world.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
No, I'm not British, there's no such nationality, I'm English.

But that aside I think you missed the point of my post. I was being critical of the two faced Brexiters xenophobism which so conveniently disappears when a foreign national does something excellent in the name of Britain. This country has a long history of doing that.

Emma is a Canadian national who also acquired "British" nationality by virtue of her parents gaining it after settling here when she was young. Apparently she also speaks fluent Mandarin, watches Taiwanese TV and loves Romanian food courtesy of her grandmother, so not exactly a typical Briton. That said I have the greatest admiration for her, not for her superb tennis which is not an interest of mine, but for the fact she is such a capable truly international person. Would that everyone was in this fractious world.
Well flecc, we in Ireland are very well used to British appropriation of our competent Singers, Sportspersons and even TV Personalities. ..all we do is smile knowingly!

• :D

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Agreed, I use to unlawfully moor overnight up the river there on odd occasions, slipping away in the early mornings before being detected.
Was once fetching a bare hull narrow boat (engine and ballast fitted) back from Liverpool, got to Aire and Calder( near Doncaster) and it was closed. (for a month) Moored up on 24 hour mooring.... And fitted thing out there. (had 6 weeks to get it finished) Got it done with 3 days to spare..With my eternal thanks authorities turned a blind eye.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
But we can't celebrate it after the Brexit vote made it clear we British go it alone, not in partnership with foreigners.

Emma was born in Canada to a Romanian father and a Chinese mother.

Not much British about that. :(
Yeah, but when they voted to get rid of foreigners, they didn’t mean those foreigners.

• :D

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Was once fetching a bare hull narrow boat (engine and ballast fitted) back from Liverpool, got to Aire and Calder( near Doncaster) and it was closed. (for a month) Moored up on 24 hour mooring.... And fitted thing out there. (had 6 weeks to get it finished) Got it done with 3 days to spare..With my eternal thanks authorities turned a blind eye.
A tangent, and I genuinely dont mean to offend any forumites who may live on one, but I often wonder what makes narrowboats so expensive (circa 80k buys an awful lot of used sailboat, even if it doesnt come with a 7 foot beam)?

Advertisers