Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
That's the highest rate recorded for 7 months, looking at countries like France, Germany, Spain and Italy they are no where even close to our infection and death rates, I still don't understand how Boris is getting away with all this. If it was the other way around all the news papers would be bragging about how well we are doing and how hopeless the EU are.
Logic doesn't work when you pass through the Brexitverse event horizon as we have.

The operating law is as follows
No one is taking any notice
So no one is to blame
In other news
"
Robert Peston@Peston
·
8h

There was a weird bit of confusion when
@BorisJohnson
met
@BillGates
earlier today. The billionaire said he was investing £400m in green tech research in UK to be matched by £400m from
@RishiSunak
. The PM said it was £200m each. So which is it? 100% gap. Sort of matters

My theory is the balance of the money has already been promised to some pub landlord in the VIP lane

Last edited:

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
In the article I linked to in the above post someone said that CV is running out of control in schools, I would tend to agree with this. My 13 year old grand son lives with us, two of his best friends are currently off school with the virus. My wife had a text from school today saying that he needed to have a PCR test because he has been in close contact with people with the virus, we should get the results of that tomorrow. He is showing no symptoms and is negative with a LFT we did on him this evening.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Well were back to being world beaters once again with one of the highest weekly covid case rates in the world. Are we going to have a third year of too little too late again?
According to LBC, SAGE the Government expert panel met once in July, didn't meet at all in August and have met once in September and once this month. A lot can happen with Covid in a month!
Implement ‘plan B’ winter measures now or risk NHS crisis, Johnson warned | Coronavirus | The Guardian
Apparently they have 2 plans for Covid this winter. Plan A.... Do nothing.
Plan B is do nothing... But more of it. (They were in some paper today, and basically this is the plan)??? WTF???
Oh and Plan B is only to be instigated if NHS face overwhelming pressure.. So rest assured, they have it in hand.
Who actually thinks our country would go back to anything which could affect infection rate. Schools closure? Lockdown? Pubs close? I don't think it would happen even if requested... Closing the economy??? Doubtful.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
In the article I linked to in the above post someone said that CV is running out of control in schools, I would tend to agree with this. My 13 year old grand son lives with us, two of his best friends are currently off school with the virus. My wife had a text from school today saying that he needed to have a PCR test because he has been in close contact with people with the virus, we should get the results of that tomorrow. He is showing no symptoms and is negative with a LFT we did on him this evening.
And the consequence of children getting it is, aside from anything else, the need for parents to look after them. Hence more people not at work. That was an issue today when I went to a garage which is currently struggling to get enough people in.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner and Nev

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Plan B is do nothing... But more of it. (They were in some paper today, and basically this is the plan)??? WTF???
Oh and Plan B is only to be instigated if NHS face overwhelming pressure.. So rest assured, they have it in hand.
Who actually thinks our country would go back to anything which could affect infection rate. Schools closure? Lockdown? Pubs close? I don't think it would happen even if requested... Closing the economy??? Doubtful.
They're effective plans since they will lead to ever increasing deaths, particularly of the elderly. That is when their effectiveness will be seen, for example:

Making more housing available. Reducing the traffic on our roads. Helping the economy by reducing the number drawing old age pension, needing subsidised bus travel and getting winter fuel allowance. Likewise less medications required. Old people not at work and needing to keep warm using heating are a drain on our energy resources. A younger overall population reducing pressure on the NHS.

Overwhelming advantages.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
They're effective plans since they will lead to ever increasing deaths, particularly of the elderly. That is when their effectiveness will be seen, for example:

Making more housing available. Reducing the traffic on our roads. Helping the economy by reducing the number drawing old age pension, needing subsidised bus travel and getting winter fuel allowance. Likewise less medications required. Old people not at work and needing to keep warm using heating are a drain on our energy resources. A younger overall population reducing pressure on the NHS.

Overwhelming advantages.
Will they increase the old age pension for those who are left standing?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
On the credit side we can make a claim of being "World Beating " for once truthfully
The first nation to earn a Mass Darwin Award.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Plan C it is then
Blame the EU

• Agree
Reactions: guerney and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
to be fair, their excuse is while they know the case rate is up, they don't know how long the hospitals can take on Covid patients.
I am pretty sure they'll do something in 5 weeks, by the end of November.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Result of grandsons PCR test came through positive today so he has to isolate for 10 days, he currently has no symptoms. Wife works for NHS and although she has no symptoms either and her lateral flow test last night was negative her manager told her she had to have a PCR test too and she should get the result of that tomorrow.

Were very lucky we live in a fairly large house with 4 bedrooms and two bathrooms so trying to keep contact with the grandson to a minimum should be easier than if we lived in a small flat but at the moment its a bit like being in limbo wondering if we already have the virus and waiting for the first symptoms to appear.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
to be fair, their excuse is while they know the case rate is up, they don't know how long the hospitals can take on Covid patients.
I am pretty sure they'll do something in 5 weeks, by the end of November.
You are most likely right.

Completely ignoring the repeated advice that doing something early ends up being less costly in financial and human terms.

It is (relatively) easy to scrap a mask-wearing edict if it proves unnecessary. But at least while in force, it has had whatever effect it can have.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Result of grandsons PCR test came through positive today so he has to isolate for 10 days, he currently has no symptoms. Wife works for NHS and although she has no symptoms either and her lateral flow test last night was negative her manager told her she had to have a PCR test too and she should get the result of that tomorrow.

Were very lucky we live in a fairly large house with 4 bedrooms and two bathrooms so trying to keep contact with the grandson to a minimum should be easier than if we lived in a small flat but at the moment its a bit like being in limbo wondering if we already have the virus and waiting for the first symptoms to appear.
Our statistics regarding self testing with the lateral flow test and the full blown Laboratory PCR test is significant... One can buy the test at local shops for about 6euro, and anyone who tested positive on it, and then went for a PCR test at official HSE centres also proved positive in 97% of cases.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Our statistics regarding self testing with the lateral flow test and the full blown Laboratory PCR test is significant... One can buy the test at local shops for about 6euro, and anyone who tested positive on it, and then went for a PCR test at official HSE centres also proved positive in 97% of cases.
Which would not have been the case with the Immensa lab in the UK.

But what about negative? How many false negatives do the LFTs produce?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We have been more wary about opening up and 22 nd October was the due date. However with rises in infection rates, they have backtracked a little. .. So its open lite rather than open fully. the vaccine passport will be required still for premises, and facemasks will still be required, but occupancy will be increased somewhat in stadia and transport and theatres ..

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers