guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If we spent the next 20 years making modular Thorium power stations, of which key modules could be replaced with fusion power modules later - humanity would have cheap, unlimited power, which won't destroy it.

A worldwide power grid would work best for renewables.
fission reactors are a short term solution until fusion but the thorium reactors are no better than tried and tested uranium ones.
I do like the idea of the travelling wave nuclear reactors though.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and guerney

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
If we spent the next 20 years making modular Thorium power stations, of which key modules could be replaced with fusion power modules later - humanity would have cheap, unlimited power, which won't destroy it.

A worldwide power grid would work best for renewables.
If we had cheap unlimited power we'd have global warming simply due to Mediterranean climate gardens everywhere. Who wouldn't wish to be pleasantly warm all evening in their gardens, even in January?

• Agree
Reactions: Nev

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Drone flights could be restricted to above roads: It's wasteful of battery charge, but possible using existing supercapacitors - they'd charge while briefly touching charging points on lamp posts. Amazon could give away free Amazon Prime to any customer which installs a charging point on their roof, all monitored by their all-seeing Amazon Nest cameras... I've emailed that idea to jeff@amazon.com and expect a healthy reward, plus free Amazon Prime for life.
So privacy doesn't matter for anyone who lives near a main road?

And how do you get from your off-main road location to somewhere that an air taxi can land?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If we had cheap unlimited power we'd have global warming simply due to Mediterranean climate gardens everywhere. Who wouldn't wish to be pleasantly warm all evening in their gardens, even in January?
I've read that "Global Heating" is now being recommended as an alternative to "Global Warming" - it sounds more alarming. With cheap unlimited power, we could terraform earth, manufacturing a pre-industrial atmospehric mix of gases.

Last edited:
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
these things can easily be addressed in the eventual certification process.
Completely disagree. Think of the aircraft with certified computerised systems which have suffered severe issues. And that is within a single vehicle, made by a single company that was (as least supposedly) tested as a complete unit.

Now imagine getting random vehicles made by many companies, at mutliple maintanence levels speaking to each other reliably. And assuming all sensors are operating properly.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
So privacy doesn't matter for anyone who lives near a main road?
Apparently not. It's why I've bricked up my windows.

And how do you get from your off-main road location to somewhere that an air taxi can land?
They could wander briefly from the main road. If Amazon customers don't have a postal delivery chute installed at the front of their house, it could be situated behind the property (locked till activated by drone), or on their roof.

• :D
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I've read that "Global Heating" is now being recommended as an alternative to "Global Warming" - it sounds more alarming. With cheap unlimited power, we could terrform earth, manufacturing a pre-industrial atmospehric mix of gases.
Intelligent use of unlimited power is arguable. But where do we get this intellegience from? Certainly not those currently in power and owning so much.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Intelligent use of unlimited power is arguable. But where do we get this intellegience from? Certainly not those currently in power and owning so much.
I've got a horrible feeling that only a fascist dictatorship led by myself, foolishly voted in on a "Thorium to Fusion Power" platform, can save you all and your descendents from certain roasting. But I don't have any spare time.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I was surrounded by them on the bus yesterday - I was the only one wearing a mask: KN95... but those don't fit very well, but adding this provided much better fit and therefore filtration (I hope):

Cheap at twice the price.
And with an exhaust valve fitted it allows you to infect others without them infecting you.

I wonder whether they come in Bell Clan tartan?
They certainly fit within our basic philosophical horizon
And is sure to be permitted to carry the Clan badge of approval.

You have to laugh, humans clearly have a death wish, which for the Planet's sake, deserves approval
:D

Reactions: guerney

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I've got a horrible feeling that only a fascist dictatorship led by myself, foolishly voted in on a "Thorium to Fusion Power" platform, can save you all and your descendents from certain roasting. But I don't have any spare time.
I'm sure the Government will force billions and a lordship on you to go ahead, if you send them a "photograph of a shilling" which they used to regard as currency on the Goon show.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
fission reactors are a short term solution until fusion but the thorium reactors are no better than tried and tested uranium ones.
We'll see, when India embarasses the West with their first Thorium reactor. There are a lot of cheap, well educated geniuses in India... it's education system has been heavily influenced; a positive residue of the Raj. Their space programme is run on a shoestring.

I do like the idea of the travelling wave nuclear reactors though.
Nobody's built those either:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
And with an exhaust valve fitted it allows you to infect others without them infecting you.
I agree, that's vitally important.

I wonder whether they come in Bell Clan tartan?
They do white for the other Clan (for the day they realise Covid isn't a hoax dreamt up by a worldwide immeasurably wealthy cabal of child-blood guzzling Jews)

Last edited:
Reactions: oldgroaner

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Completely disagree. Think of the aircraft with certified computerised systems which have suffered severe issues. And that is within a single vehicle, made by a single company that was (as least supposedly) tested as a complete unit.

Now imagine getting random vehicles made by many companies, at mutliple maintanence levels speaking to each other reliably. And assuming all sensors are operating properly.
Green laser pointers kill LIDAR sensors. I intend to install some on the back of my bike, to stop "Self-driving" cars running me over. They also facilitate shoplifting - security camera sensors get roasted wherever I go.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It could happen with supercapacitors, not batteries: Rezap in flight using ground based microwave lasers. The bigger the freight eplane, the more often it gets zapped. Coffee would never be cold :cool:

Best suited to ground effect planes:

At least one GEV, an ekranoplan, required eight tubojet engines. Not exactly likely that inflight charging would be sufficient.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
At least one GEV, an ekronoplan, required eight tubojet engines. Not exactly likely that inflight charging would be sufficient.
Depends on how many charging points there are: Wave/Tidal/Sea power stations, but much more practical over land. People will be issued with hard-hats.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
We've long been using some hydrogen fuel cell buses in London and currently have many more on order. They will be running all our longer routes with Battery Electric ones serving the short to medium length routes. We've totally stopped all purchase of ICE buses.

The hydrogen used is a by product of chemical manufaturing elsewhere and no pipelines are involved, all transport and use is with compression in cylinders.

Advertisers