Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The 1 in 50 is actually meaningless.

What makes it meaningless is the lack of an age profile and the way in which cause of death is recorded:

Those most likely to die by far are in old age and/or suffering with pre-existing serious conditions that threaten their lives anyway. They are not killed by Covid in the truest sense, they have their lifespan reduced, mostly very slightly reduced.

This is made even more meaningless by the silly ruling that all deaths within 28 days of a positive test have to be recorded as due to Covid, no matter what actually caused the death. The government made this even worse by ordering the laboratory determining the final deaths figure for 2020 to base it on death within 60 days of a positive test. How ridiculous is that two months for old people who can die at any time simply because they are old.

As I've already shown, the comparison of the normally expected death total with those for 2020 shows the increase due to Covid was much less than that claimed to be due to Covid. Of course it had to be, lots of those old people reported as Covid deaths would have died anyway within that year from all manner of causes, particularly other diseases, accidents and old age.
Flecc.. there IS more than the the UK in the world, and the 28 day nonsense is only confined to the UK ( actually Michigan did the same thing once). The 2% is a global figure based on aggregate data around the world ,from official data..and is just as good as that.
The Irish data is in my opinion reliable and takes deaths which have been properly attributed with Covid as the major contributor. To say that people will die anyway is irrelevant, ..since that is sine qua non. Now the deaths attributed to Covid by today is 5M , and whether it meant their lives were shortened by a month or five decades is not relevant.
The amount of deaths displaced by Covid is potentially a fascinating study, but is not the current subject . There are perhaps millions of man years of life saved because of reduced industrial air pollution last year,and road traffic accidents diverted. There are perhaps millions of cancers and heart attacks which will progress because they were not detected in time.

• Disagree
Reactions: Zlatan and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I see Richard Tice is getting into the Old Bexley and Sidcup by-election. Against the tory candidate Louie French (a good brexit name, what ho?)

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I was offered choice between Warfarin and Apixiban. Was explained exactly as you, ve described for Warfarin whereas Apixiban if taken exactly as directed requires no testing/modification to dosage. I chose apixiban.
Just coming to the end of my years dosage of Plavix , for the stents. I had a few odd events .. .about 4 months ago, I picked at a tiny pimple on my shoulder and went to bed. By morning my Pillow, Vest, was destroyed with blood, as was the sheets and the mattress is now on the reverse side. Basically no dental treatment could be tolerated as the combination of the aspirin and Plavix might mean I would bleed out.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc.. there IS more than the the UK in the world, and the 28 day nonsense is only confined to the UK ( actually Michigan did the same thing once). The 2% is a global figure based on aggregate data around the world ,from official data..and is just as good as that.
I dont care how accurate the 2% figure is, it is still meaningless at our individual levels.

For us individually on catching the infection the possibility of death can be 50% or 0.0005% or less, depending on our diverse circumstances, so the 2% has no individual practical meaning.

Likewise the 28 day ruling is what I live with in England and I can't change it. So what others do is academic, rather than of any practical use.

Reactions: Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was offered choice between Warfarin and Apixiban. Was explained exactly as you, ve described for Warfarin whereas Apixiban if taken exactly as directed requires no testing/modification to dosage. I chose apixiban.
It's fascinating how the successes from researches swing back and forth between favouring mechanical or animal tissue valves.

Ultimately neither will win if the holy grail of growing a heart valve from human tissue, even the patient's own tissue, is realised by current research. In fact it has been done successfully, but to date the scaffold for the tissue to grow on is a problem, with no material entirely sultable established yet.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Aged 80, it's 1 in 6.67 (average, unvaccinated)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Lancet
Estimating the early impact of vaccination against COVID-19 on deaths among elderly people in Brazil: Analyses of routinely-collected data on vaccine coverage and mortality
link:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Seems silly posting twice:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
All I need is a full face scuba mask, to go with something like this:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
He'd have been better off catching Covid at the outset, taking the hit early as I've maintained from the very beginning of the pandemic.

Many in here still disagree but the evidence increasingly shows they are wrong.

In the absence of vaccines for almost a year, catching Covid early was the best protection available, so to deny that is irrational. Most of us were going to get it in the end anyway, so sooner the better.
We are all individuals. He might have died or been almost symptom-free. I don't know and I doubt anyone else does.

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Some very old couples do seem to die in pairs, or very close together in terms of time.
Well-known and even got a name:

What is takotsubo cardiomyopathy?

Takotsubo cardiomyopathy is usually triggered by extreme emotional or physical stress. It causes the left ventricle of your heart (the main blood plumping chamber), to change shape and get larger. This weakens the heart muscle and means it doesn't pump blood as well as it should.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Some very old couples do seem to die in pairs, or very close together in terms of time.
I saw this with my parents, my mum died about 18 months after my father. Once he went she sort of gave up, the spark went from her. Either I or my sisters would visit her every day but she missed my dad terribly they had been together over 60 years. I think a lot of couples are like this when they have been together a long time when one goes the other more or less gives up and tends to follow a year or two later.

Reactions: guerney and oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I saw this with my parents, my mum died about 18 months after my father. Once he went she sort of gave up, the spark went from her. Either I or my sisters would visit her every day but she missed my dad terribly they had been together over 60 years. I think a lot of couples are like this when they have been together a long time when one goes the other more or less gives up and tends to follow a year or two later.
My father outlived my mother by over ten years. I think it was relief when the nagging stopped.

Reactions: Nev

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
What numbers are these? I'd love to worry some more.
am all for vaccination, so this isnt to create doubt (at all). there is old chestnut of az saying in March two doses is 79% effective, sheik et al (peer reviewed Lancet july) found 2 doses az 60% effective stopping transmission delta (compared 73% pfizer). ONS found both very effective (88% plus) preventing hospitalization but specifically focus period 28 to 31 days after vaccination (study in israel i believe found somewhat less effective longer term). Anyhieuw (as steward Griffin might say) it's all we've got, but I still wouldn't gallavant around crowded shops without a mask.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It's fascinating how the successes from researches swing back and forth between favouring mechanical or animal tissue valves.

Ultimately neither will win if the holy grail of growing a heart valve from human tissue, even the patient's own tissue, is realised by current research. In fact it has been done successfully, but to date the scaffold for the tissue to grow on is a problem, with no material entirely sultable established yet.
Probably not connected but... Around 8 years ago I was offered a replacement knee by NHS, but told windsurfing etc would be seriously curtailed and probably not tolerated (combination of weight and percussion etc whilst sailing. I,m 108kg)
I went private and had stem cell treatment on knee joint. Surgeon suggested in not too distant future most hip/knee replacements would be regrown stem cell repairs. I, d guess similar story with heart surgery???
I had stem cells removed 2 days before op, (from pelvis and hip bone) they were multiplied and deposited on an implanted biological mesh on knee surfaces.. Knee isn't perfect by any means but surgeon reckoned it would give me about 10 years more "normal" use. I, ve had about 8...and didn't stop sailing..??
Wonder if heart valves stem cell repairs are feasible? I know there have been developments for this technique in eyes..???
At time there seemed to be much more news about stem cells, seems not to be mentioned as much these days???

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I went private and had stem cell treatment on knee joint.
Amazing! How much did that cost?

I,m 108kg)
BMI is fine, if you're 7ft tall?

Probably not connected but... Around 8 years ago I was offered a replacement knee by NHS, but told windsurfing etc would be seriously curtailed and probably not tolerated (combination of weight and percussion etc whilst sailing. I,m 108kg)
I went private and had stem cell treatment on knee joint. Surgeon suggested in not too distant future most hip/knee replacements would be regrown stem cell repairs. I, d guess similar story with heart surgery???
I had stem cells removed 2 days before op, (from pelvis and hip bone) they were multiplied and deposited on an implanted biological mesh on knee surfaces.. Knee isn't perfect by any means but surgeon reckoned it would give me about 10 years more "normal" use. I, ve had about 8...and didn't stop sailing..??
Wonder if heart valves stem cell repairs are feasible? I know there have been developments for this technique in eyes..???
At time there seemed to be much more news about stem cells, seems not to be mentioned as much these days???
Maybe in 20 years surgery will all start with decapitation by chainsaw, then proceed with complete body replacements grown from patient stem cells? I do hope so! I'd be immortal, apart from my brain... :cool:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Amazing! How much did that cost?

BMI is fine, if you're 7ft tall?

Maybe in 20 years surgery will all start with decapitation by chainsaw, then proceed with complete body replacements grown from patient stem cells? I do hope so! I'd be immortal, apart from my brain... :cool:
At time I was 108kg...
Hovering around 100kg now... BMI is useless, especially so for either end of body types. . Even at 108kg my body fat content was around 25%...not fantastic but fine.

Cost was £12k..

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
At time I was 108kg...
Hovering around 100kg now... BMI is useless, especially so for either end of body types. . Even at 108kg my body fat content was around 25%...not fantastic but fine.

Oodles of muscle is problematic for the heart, which partly why I've allowed myself to shrink - but the real reason is laziness. Despite having shrunk (fast-twitch muscle) for over 30 years, and inflated (fat), I've retained a substantial proportion of my strength. If it isn't too personal a question for you to answer, what is and was your oil pressure, I mean blood pressure? Mine was 165 over something (can't recall perfectly, the world was somewhat blurry back then) three stones ago, now 133/78.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
am all for vaccination, so this isnt to create doubt (at all).
So am I for the protection against the ill effects of infection

there is old chestnut of az saying in March two doses is 79% effective, sheik et al (peer reviewed Lancet july) found 2 doses az 60% effective stopping transmission delta (compared 73% pfizer). ONS found both very effective (88% plus) preventing hospitalization but specifically focus period 28 to 31 days after vaccination (study in israel i believe found somewhat less effective longer term).
This is the line being sold to us, but they are all antigen effects. As true vaccines to prevent us catching Covid-19 they are all very ineffective. One remains to be discovered yet.

I still wouldn't gallavant around crowded shops without a mask.
Like me, protecting others. I wear one inside any public building, however empty it might be. Trouble is all the unmasked who are not protecting us. That's making me hesitant about accepting the booster in my circumstances, assuming I ever get offered one. Already overdue now.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
So am I for the protection against the ill effects of infection

This is the line being sold to us, but they are all antigen effects. As true vaccines to prevent us catching Covid-19 they are all very ineffective. One remains to be discovered yet.

Like me, protecting others. I wear one inside any public building, however empty it might be. Trouble is all the unmasked who are not protecting us. That's making me hesitant about accepting the booster in my circumstances, assuming I ever get offered one. Already overdue now.
I thought that in England, people were being told to book their boosters regardless of being invited?

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

Advertisers