Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That Putin has directly threatened deliveries of munitions to Ukraine as a legitimate target could be a turning point.

I can imagine the intent being to attack a delivery, but the aircraft go over the line and fly over a NATO country. NATO could then attack the aircraft and, if they flee over Ukraine, use it as an invitation chase in hot pursuit.

I'd not like to predict the outcome.
What I understand is that any convoy in Poland hit would be an act of war. Once over the border , its potentially fair game.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I suspect China is looking at Taiwan as we speak. US stance has been rather ambiguous around their support of Taiwan but if involved in a conflict with Putin would they have resources to do anything for Taiwan? Or do they even wish to?
I suspect Xi and Putin have had their heads together over both issues. Trouble is China sees US as decadent and in decline. Bet they try and prove they aren't.
China will lose thousands invading Taiwan but suspect they could and will. Not if, more when?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
What I understand is that any convoy in Poland hit would be an act of war. Once over the border , its potentially fair game.
I think both are acts of war.

The over the border is an extension of the existing war and could pull Poland and NATO into it. While the in-Ukraine one would be within the existing field of battle.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I suspect China is looking at Taiwan as we speak. US stance has been rather ambiguous around their support of Taiwan but if involved in a conflict with Putin would they have resources to do anything for Taiwan? Or do they even wish to?
I suspect Xi and Putin have had their heads together over both issues. Trouble is China sees US as decadent and in decline. Bet they try and prove they aren't.
China will lose thousands invading Taiwan but suspect they could and will. Not if, more when?
And unfortunately that assessment (west decadent and in decline) isn't unfounded - least under Biden. Soft measures (sanctions etc) were never going to make putin change course, or Russia depose of him. It would always have taken a military confrontation. He may as well have implemented a no fly zone over Ukraine two weeks ago. Saved thousands of civilian lives. Eventually the west will have to do it anyway.
Edit - as an aside I note us placed nuclear weapons in Taiwan during "first Taiwan strait crisis" with china

Reactions: Woosh and POLLY

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
What an interesting Stand off
Just what would Russia do if the West called their bluff and imposed a no fly Zone?
They can no more afford a Nuclear War than we can.
If we haven't got confidence in that, why the hell do we have Nuclear weapons?
And what a time to have Russians assets as a government in this country.

Last edited:
Reactions: POLLY and Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
And unfortunately that assessment (west decadent and in decline) isn't unfounded - least under Biden. Soft measures (sanctions etc) were never going to make putin change course, or Russia depose of him. It would always have taken a military confrontation. He may as well have implemented a no fly zone over Ukraine two weeks ago. Saved thousands of civilian lives. Eventually the west will have to do it anyway.
Edit - as an aside I note us placed nuclear weapons in Taiwan during "first Taiwan strait crisis" with china
I believe US special forces and SAS are planning a rescue mission for Zelenskyy... If he gots out, Kyiv will fall and it might calm down... If Putin can have something to show for his campaign it might appease him, but part of me thinks... For how long? Moldova? Poland?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I believe US special forces and SAS are planning a rescue mission for Zelenskyy... If he gots out, Kyiv will fall and it might calm down... If Putin can have something to show for his campaign it might appease him, but part of me thinks... For how long? Moldova? Poland?
It is almost certain that SAS and US have gamed out rescue scenarios, but to what purpose?. Having active troops in the country would have all the pain and none of the gain. An SAS shoot out with a few unfortunate Russian conscripts is as much a cause for war as a proper no fly zone. Only none NATO forces can achieve an rescue without creating that Russian NATO conflict. I really cannot see the SAS being involved.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
What an interesting Stand off
Just what would Russia do if the West called their bluff and imposed a no fly Zone?
They can no more afford a Nuclear War than we can.
If we haven't go confidence in that, why the hell do we have Nuclear weapons?
And what a time to have Russians assets as a government in this country.
Last week that British Admiral , made the point that no fly zone serves little purpose... . To hit artillery you need to attack the ground.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Last week that British Admiral , made the point that no fly zone serves little purpose... . To hit artillery you need to attack the ground.
A no fly zone is a euphemism for declaring war, there isn't any way putin wouldn't challenge it and things wouldn't escalate (into ground attacks etc)

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Yes I don't think a no fly zone would make much difference, the Russians have been doing most of the damage with artillery and rockets neither of which would be affected by a no fly zone. I think some rockets can be shot down (Patriot system) but I don't know how good that is, I seem to remember it caused as much trouble as it tried to solve.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It is almost certain that SAS and US have gamed out rescue scenarios, but to what purpose?. Having active troops in the country would have all the pain and none of the gain. An SAS shoot out with a few unfortunate Russian conscripts is as much a cause for war as a proper no fly zone. Only none NATO forces can achieve an rescue without creating that Russian NATO conflict. I really cannot see the SAS being involved.
Totally agreed. Would be upto Ukrainian forces to get him out.. But did read article there was a force of 120 US Special Forces and 50 SAS training in Lithuania for such an operation.???

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
As I posted a few days ago and you gave a Like to:

"This will most likely be settled by negotiation in the end"
I listened with great interest to Hardtallk today with the Pretender to the Belarusian Premiership. Extremely heartening if it is true ...and it struck me that it could be. The point was that the Belarusian Army which Putin wanted to accompany his forces cannot be relied upon. Their sympathies are with the Ukrainians. Now while I know next to nothing about the Donbass, , it is much more than my knowledge of Belarus, .. so here is hoping!.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I listened with great interest to Hardtallk today with the Pretender to the Belarusian Premiership. Extremely heartening if it is true ...and it struck me that it could be. The point was that the Belarusian Army which Putin wanted to accompany his forces cannot be relied upon. Their sympathies are with the Ukrainians. Now while I know next to nothing about the Donbass, , it is much more than my knowledge of Belarus, .. so here is hoping!.
The Russian Air force doesn't seem to have been involved anywhere near to extent it could have.. Made me wonder if they were not that supportive either???

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Just been reading about large numbers of Russians, largely relatively well-educated, are leaving Russia. 25,000 through Georgia. Being discussed as a brain drain which will fundamentally weaken Russia.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I would hope by now both sides are keen to end this conflict. Not sure that was case for the first week.
I heard a report on the radio this evening that both sides said the latest talks had made good progress and both sides were hoping a negotiated settlement could soon be found. I think that was the most positive report I have heard so far since all this began. I think Putin needs to be provided with a golden ladder to climb down otherwise tens of thousand possibly hundreds of thousands of people will die. We then in the west need to open our eyes into what he and his mates have been up to over the years.

Read a book by a journalist a while back he put forward a very strong case that Putin put a fair amount of resource into trying to ensure we voted leave in the Brexit referendum, how much difference if any that made we will probably never know.

Advertisers