Brexit, for once some facts.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
First installment..
I read somewhere that there were 100 kits going initially. A kit represents 10 machines.... But however many it is they are among an 800 million dollar package of arms being sent from US.. .. Including Javelins... Its be coming a testing ground for latest Western technology..

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I read somewhere that there were 100 kits going initially. A kit represents 10 machines.... But however many it is they are among an 800 million dollar package of arms being sent from US.. .. Including Javelins... Its be coming a testing ground for latest Western technology..
apparently one of the models is effectively a javelin .. in that it has the same payload. the US term is that they are loitering munitions ... they can hang about for about 30 minutes and then they must do something, or self destruct. .They communicate their camera back to the operator , who picks the best target .
I picked up somewhere that what the Ukrainians were doing was using very cheap consumer drones, with cameras and using these to look for say helicoptors coming over the horizon. then when they are close enough a Stinger is powered up and fired. .. The Stinger is a one shot device and the IR optics have to be cyrogenically cooled, so takes a few seconds to get ready. The enegiser pack uses argon gas under pressure and is very expensive to reuse . The consumer drones can be replenished with lots of standard battery packs.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
One thing happened today which we can hope is the start of a major shift (but might be as nothing in the grand scheme):

Russian veteran reformer Chubais quits job as Putin envoy

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Looks like Sunak might no longer be the obvious person to replace Johnson.

Of the ones I have seen, not a single paper has a front page which could be seen as positive to Sunak or the government.

• :D
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Brexit bonuses continue to defy expectations:

But, last week, I came across one that really is quite astonishing in its brashness, unique in its link to recent political events and quite breathtaking in its callousness. This came to me via a call to the telephone helpline and it goes like this.
A lady had been living in Spain for six years. Five years ago she was diagnosed with having Pernicious Anaemia after feeling unwell for some time. On getting the diagnosis from a physician in Spain she was prescribed loading doses of B12 and told she would need two-monthly injections for life. She left Spain and settled back into a town in the midlands. She visited her new GP to request an injection.
“Oh No” she was told via a telephone call. “Now that we’ve left the European Union we do not recognise any diagnosis from other European countries. They got it all wrong”.
She asked me what she could do as, if they requested a blood test, it would either show her B12 levels to be normal or high. I really didn’t know what to advise her.

... and logic.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I wonder what kind of weapon was used to set the Orsk in Berdyansk on fire.
Any idea?

Reactions: POLLY

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Hold the Front Page!
"Ukraine Military Sources are now Claiming that the Explosions this morning at the Russian Occupied Port of Berdyans'k were caused by Missiles Fired from a Ukrainian Navy Bayraktar TB-2 Drone, these Explosions caused Fires which completely destroyed a Alligator-Class Landing Ship.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Here is another "News" (maybe) item
"“Near Kyiv, a Russian soldier ran his tank over his commander, Colonel Yuri Medvedev, blaming him for the death of half of his 1,500 fellow servicemen. - reported by Ukrainian journalist Roman Tsymbalyuk.”

The officer is apparently in hospital but is the rest true?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Another contentious claim is that Ukraine now has more tanks than they started with. They (claim to) have managed to repair and reuse more damaged or abondoned Russian tanks than they have lost themselves,since both sides operate virtually the same tanks its probably possible. There have been a few videos of farmers towing Russian tanks away with tractors.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Another contentious claim is that Ukraine now has more tanks than they started with. They (claim to) have managed to repair and reuse more damaged or abondoned Russian tanks than they have lost themselves,since both sides operate virtually the same tanks its probably possible. There have been a few videos of farmers towing Russian tanks away with tractors.
Whether these claims are true or not, someone is doing a very good job of getting them picked up and discussed.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Whether these claims are true or not, someone is doing a very good job of getting them picked up and discussed.
We're in the West and are getting the Western biased propaganda, just as the Russians get theirs. Anything from a greatly exaggerated seed of truth to pure fabrication.

I think we are at a stage in the stalemate of this war when every bit of news should be treated with caution.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
This story engenders a mixture of amazement, concern, understanding, and other thoughts and emotions:

Ukraine uses facial recognition software to identify Russian soldiers killed in combat
The defense ministry began using technology from Clearview AI which scrapes images on the web to match uploaded photos

I can certainly see the argument the Ukrainians are using and agree that the soldiers' families should be informed. But many misgivings...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:cool:

Mrs Honeyman

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2021
We're in the West and are getting the Western biased propaganda, just as the Russians get theirs. Anything from a greatly exaggerated seed of truth to pure fabrication.

I think we are at a stage in the stalemate of this war when every bit of news should be treated with caution.
Very true. I think we should treat information coming from both sides with extreme caution. I suspect a high percentage is BS.

Advertisers