Brexit, for once some facts.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
One vote does not make democracy. It's the plurality of voices that makes it.
What you proposed is you can only vote for one party, the kind of arguments dictators use to justify their deeds. So they have been voted in once for a limited term, what they do next is becoming corrupt, they change the system to benefit themselves.
Claims that one party democracy is democracy are ridiculous.
One party democracy is a perfect oxymoron.
Even more so if you get beaten up, locked up or poisoned for not supporting that one party.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I see Sunak has departed Downing Street as a residence.

Claimed to be so that they can be close to a daughter's school.

Before she goes to a boarding school in the autumn. When she won't be close to her family.

All looks like an action taken for political reasons - not family.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I see Sunak has departed Downing Street as a residence.

Claimed to be so that they can be close to a daughter's school.

Before she goes to a boarding school in the autumn. When she won't be close to her family.

All looks like an action taken for political reasons - not family.
I suspect there was a right barney at the breakfast table yesterday. Billionaires Daughters don't like being dressed down in public for no good reason.

Reactions: flecc and oyster

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Somewhat ironic that he should say this late night on the day Johnson, self-proclaimed do-er of brexit, visited.

Russia's aggression targets all of Europe - Zelensky
To be fair Zelenskyy has been making that point since war started. Not sure its the case but it fosters help against the invaders from any country even suspecting it could be case. We all forget Russia actually helped start WW2 invading East Poland. Germans actually invaded from West and they met in midfle, with a negotiation about where new border would be, later moved in some swapping of other invaded areas.(Lithuania I think)

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
To be fair Zelenskyy has been making that point since war started. Not sure its the case but it fosters help against the invaders from any country even suspecting it could be case. We all forget Russia actually helped start WW2 invading East Poland. Germans actually invaded from West and they met in midfle, with a negotiation about where new border would be, later moved in some swapping of other invaded areas.(Lithuania I think)
And had Russia not attacked, it is very possible that Poland might have some succeeded

Reactions: POLLY and Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
And had Russia not attacked, it is very possible that Poland might have some succeeded
One of WW2 great mysteries to me (and apparently to Stalin originally) was Hitler turning onn Russia before invading us, yet after they, d both invaded Poland and both signed non aggression pacts for each other. Stalin assumed Churchill was lying when he passed on intelligence about operation Barborossa. Stalin wouldn't believe Germany was actually attacking Russia, aledgedly he locked himself away for a few days in shock.
Was a major mistake by Hitler. Unfathomable really. Idealogy is normally suggested as reasoning.
Around time Hitler ordered his tanks to halt giving BEF time to escape via Dunkerque... Normally argued Goering wanted to finish BEF off but couldn't because of Spitfires/Hurricanes... Read Guderians book and he found whole episode inexplicable,both the order to halt his tanks and then turning on Russia. It was probably the single most decisive moment of WW2.( and a secondary bonus for alies was when Guderians expressed his dissatisfaction at situation he was sacked... Making probably the greatest modern military strategist of 20th century redundant. He made no contributions from 41.. Yet, literally wrote the book on Blitzkrieg, tank deployment and modern inter force cooperation. Utter madness.
Hitler turned on Russia and sacked his best strategist.???

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
One of WW2 great mysteries to me (and apparently to Stalin originally) was Hitler turning onn Russia before invading us, yet after they, d both invaded Poland and both signed non aggression pacts for each other. Stalin assumed Churchill was lying when he passed on intelligence about operation Barborossa. Stalin wouldn't believe Germany was actually attacking Russia, aledgedly he locked himself away for a few days in shock.
Was a major mistake by Hitler. Unfathomable really. Idealogy is normally suggested as reasoning.
Around time Hitler ordered his tanks to halt giving BEF time to escape via Dunkerque... Normally argued Goering wanted to finish BEF off but couldn't because of Spitfires/Hurricanes... Read Guderians book and he found whole episode inexplicable,both the order to halt his tanks and then turning on Russia. It was probably the single most decisive moment of WW2.( and a secondary bonus for alies was when Guderians expressed his dissatisfaction at situation he was sacked... Making probably the greatest modern military strategist of 20th century redundant. He made no contributions from 41.. Yet, literally wrote the book on Blitzkrieg, tank deployment and modern inter force cooperation. Utter madness.
Hitler turned on Russia and sacked his best strategist.???
My reading of it was that Hitler was very hungry for oil. The expectations were that the Italians in North Africa would have cleared a way to the Suez canal and the Persian oilfields. Neither the Italians nor the Gernans nor the British realised that Libya where they were actually fighting was an oil field bonanza . While Saudi oil had been discovered just before the war, it was only being explored. When Monty's Army stopped the Germans and Italians from getting to Persia, The known oil in Russia became strategically important. The Germans were very adaptable with coal , but coal was not oil.
Dunkirk delay was necessary because the Germans were running on empty. The Blitzkrieg had been so successful, that the German soldiers were dead on their feet. .. They had been dosed with amphetamines and that only brings the body so far.

Reactions: Zlatan and POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Invading Poland from the east has a long tradition.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've posted previously about the serious ill effects this war will have on the world's food supplies. This current 28 minute radio program available on the BBC i-player is packed with details of the effects on Ukraine, Russia and the rest of us, albeit not covering the increased starvation risks adequately:

Ukraine: The Food Dimension Part 2

Reactions: oyster and POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
unsurprisingly, Johnson and Sunpack have been fined.

The great British public will no doubt still support both of them.
But how much? They can only be fined up to the penalty at the time of the offence, and those started at £100, later rising to £1000 and finally to £10,000.

For most of them the majority of these amounts are a joke. Sunak's missus can pay for his and Boris will probably claim it back as expenses, knowing his cheek.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A program on radio is about to discuss the subject of Authoritarian Leaders and what can be done to prevent such a number like those at present occurring again:

Xi Jinping in China, Kim Jong-un in North Korea, Vladimir Putin in Russia, Narendra Modi in India, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in Turkey, Viktor Mihály Orbán in Hungary, a list by no means complete.

The Program starts in a few minutes on BBC Radio 4 at 4pm, or you can listen later on the BBC i-player on this link:

Thinking Allowed, Strong Men

Strongmen – what accounts for the global rise of authoritarian leaders? Sociologist Laurie Taylor talks to Christophe Jaffrelot, Professor of Indian Politics and Sociology at King's College, London, about Modi’s India. How has a popularly elected leader steered the world's largest democracy toward ethnic strife and intolerance? They’re joined by Ruth Ben-Ghiat, Professor of History and Italian Studies at New York University, and analyst of the blueprint which autocratic demagogues, from Mussolini to Putin, have followed over the past 100 years. What lessons might be learned to prevent their disastrous rule in the future?

Last edited:
Reactions: oyster and POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
And the first resignation...

Justice minister resigns over No 10 Partygate revelations
David Wolfson says behaviour of Boris Johnson and others in Downing Street was ‘inconsistent with the rule of law’

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Laugh at oyster time.

I had to fill my car today, first time in a few weeks so have avoided the absolute peak prices. Typical Tesco self-service - got receipt which I handed over to partner (as I often do) so we can see whether using one forecourt rather than another saved us anything or cost more in fuel.

She pointed out how expensive it was - quite true. Then realised it said diesel.

Panic - did I mis-fuel? Surely I didn't. I absolutely always pause as I am selecting the nozzle to check and re-check. Mental video replay - yes, left nozzle was diesel, middle and right were both ordinary unleaded. Said E10 and whatever the BS number is. Seemed as if either they had mis-labelled the nozzle or I had been charged for diesel rather than petrol.

By this time, I had turned round and got to the forecourt - went in to the shop bit and explained. Pleasant lady also seemed confused. Then she re-printed a receipt, and asked for last four digits of my card number. Ding! The receipt that the pump had printed out for me was actually for the customer before me. She had printed mine which was, thankfully, for petrol. And a few pounds less.

But I know that the receipt was not hanging down as they do when people don't take them. Definitely seemed to be printed when I pressed the button to say I did want a receipt. Left with two obvious possibilities - software error or printer was not ejecting receipts properly.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
This is not going to end well:

Asylum seekers expected to be flown to Rwanda for processing in Government plans
2 hrs ago

I see the i's headline is Patel in Rwanda.

Long may she stay there.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there are loads of tesla motors on ebay just rip the controllers out of it and use ur own and make ur own batt that could be easily replaced in 8 years when its dead.

or buy a tesla and just skip it in 8 years or over 150k miles as that voids the 8 year warranty.

electric cars are so green they want you to buy a new one every time the batt dies, and even if you find a 3rd party batt it wont work and even if it was a tesla one like my bike that part is serialized and locked to the cars controller and locked to it at the factory.

i upgraded the motor on my bike from performance to cx with the purion display fitted the cx and not a problem and both batts working.

i had a bright idea to get a kiox display as showed the batt level in percent and just not 5 bars and also said can do updates myself via the ebike connect app on my phone.

as soon as i turned on the bike it said dealer update needed tried to do it via my phone and nope! as it seems it can only update the kiox software and not updates like firmware but the motor had the latest firmware anyway so like wtf.

kiox also defaulted to ebike mode tried it and hated it so had to go back to sport mode.

so had to go to a new local ebike shop 5 mins up the road and wanted 30 quid to do the updates or 40 for full diagnostic.

i did say on the phone should i bring the 2 batts i have and said no it will be fine.

it did not update anything it wanted a can bus hand shake from the dealers software to say it is ok and got rid of the update and off i went.

week later put my other batt on the bike and again said dealer update needed.

put the other batt back in and no update, firmware on both is the same what changes is the sn so they have put a full can bus chip in these new displays to imo lock every part to the motors and thats the new bosch smart system.

took bike back to shop and got the hand shake for the 2nd batt and now all working fine.

if i put my old motor back on with this kiox display the sn will change again and back to bike shop for more can bus hand shakes as motor and batts will need it again and another 30 quid every time i swap out motors.

so old motor off to peter to keep another bosch ebike from the scrap heap as now no point me keeping it unless i go back to the purion display or pay 30 quid every time i swap it out as bosch will not sell me the diagnostic software that even a 10 year old can use :rolleyes:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
there are loads of tesla motors on ebay just rip the controllers out of it and use ur own and make ur own batt that could be easily replaced in 8 years when its dead.

or buy a tesla and just skip it in 8 years or over 150k miles as that voids the 8 year warranty.

electric cars are so green they want you to buy a new one every time the batt dies, and even if you find a 3rd party batt it wont work and even if it was a tesla one like my bike that part is serialized and locked to the cars controller and locked to it at the factory.

i upgraded the motor on my bike from performance to cx with the purion display fitted the cx and not a problem and both batts working.

i had a bright idea to get a kiox display as showed the batt level in percent and just not 5 bars and also said can do updates myself via the ebike connect app on my phone.

as soon as i turned on the bike it said dealer update needed tried to do it via my phone and nope! as it seems it can only update the kiox software and not updates like firmware but the motor had the latest firmware anyway so like wtf.

kiox also defaulted to ebike mode tried it and hated it so had to go back to sport mode.

so had to go to a new local ebike shop 5 mins up the road and wanted 30 quid to do the updates or 40 for full diagnostic.

i did say on the phone should i bring the 2 batts i have and said no it will be fine.

it did not update anything it wanted a can bus hand shake from the dealers software to say it is ok and got rid of the update and off i went.

week later put my other batt on the bike and again said dealer update needed.

put the other batt back in and no update, firmware on both is the same what changes is the sn so they have put a full can bus chip in these new displays to imo lock every part to the motors and thats the new bosch smart system.

took bike back to shop and got the hand shake for the 2nd batt and now all working fine.

if i put my old motor back on with this kiox display the sn will change again and back to bike shop for more can bus hand shakes as motor and batts will need it again and another 30 quid every time i swap out motors.

so old motor off to peter to keep another bosch ebike from the scrap heap as now no point me keeping it unless i go back to the purion display or pay 30 quid every time i swap it out as bosch will not sell me the diagnostic software that even a 10 year old can use :rolleyes:

true freedom is not freedom from want, its freedom from desire bratan! buy an old tesla and just enjoy it for its own sake. once in banger territory they dont look as bloated and pretentious. very few ev batteries actually die

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Laugh at oyster time.

I had to fill my car today, first time in a few weeks so have avoided the absolute peak prices. Typical Tesco self-service - got receipt which I handed over to partner (as I often do) so we can see whether using one forecourt rather than another saved us anything or cost more in fuel.

She pointed out how expensive it was - quite true. Then realised it said diesel.

Panic - did I mis-fuel? Surely I didn't. I absolutely always pause as I am selecting the nozzle to check and re-check. Mental video replay - yes, left nozzle was diesel, middle and right were both ordinary unleaded. Said E10 and whatever the BS number is. Seemed as if either they had mis-labelled the nozzle or I had been charged for diesel rather than petrol.

By this time, I had turned round and got to the forecourt - went in to the shop bit and explained. Pleasant lady also seemed confused. Then she re-printed a receipt, and asked for last four digits of my card number. Ding! The receipt that the pump had printed out for me was actually for the customer before me. She had printed mine which was, thankfully, for petrol. And a few pounds less.

But I know that the receipt was not hanging down as they do when people don't take them. Definitely seemed to be printed when I pressed the button to say I did want a receipt. Left with two obvious possibilities - software error or printer was not ejecting receipts properly.
Although it makes me think about previous two energy companies, who both "misread" my smart meter, naturally in their favour, before recognising their "mistake" after I referred them to the ombudsman with some legalise from which legal. All an unfortunate error you see, and one guaranteed to be repeated at least another dozen times if I don't **** off to calabria to live off a standalone solar setup..

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

Advertisers