Brexit, for once some facts.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There's no mention of their heights, but Mogg was just the start of the cutting of over-tall grass

I was almost expecting Osbourne's appointment as Chancellor, he knows a thing or two about savage cuts. Bit tall.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Sunak of course.
Inflation is projected to peak before Christmas then rapidly drops to around 5% in March/April.
Gas price drops rapidly now. Government support for energy will be targetted to the poorest from April for 6 more months, Pound will quickly rise.
Sunak will narrow the deficit (Labour lead) may be down to sub 10% then call an election in May.

You missed the bit where I said
"Sunak has to fail".
Fair enough if he manages to succeed, he deserves the job for 3 terms let alone 3 weeks as Truss managed.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I fully expect Sneaky Sunak to register in the India "The East England Company" and strip this country of all it's resources. Mogg was in the way...
agree, that's a serious snag, and austerity 2 will be more severe than 1 after 08; would love to see members of red wall dig for half rotten potatoes in light sleet in mid winter in soiled underwear after what they've done to the economy, but it's probably not going to be a politically stable or safe place.

Reactions: guerney

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
agree, that's a serious snag, and austerity 2 will be more severe than 1 after 08;
the main difference is the cost of borrowing. In 2010 as in 2020, in fact for the whole of the period 2009-2021, borrowing cost were a tenth of what it is now.
Austerity is no longer a choice.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
the main difference is the cost of borrowing. In 2010 as in 2020, in fact for the whole of the period 2009-2021, borrowing cost were a tenth of what it is now.
Well there are those tax havens, and sunak would know al about that with his non dom dhenanigans..and he is making the working class, mainly, pay for a self inflicted tory clusterfuck..
and inheritance and property tax (if it were as in italy based on the potential rental income of a property we could make much much more revenue..

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
One issue in the UK that I noticed is the number of economic inactives and people in mobility scooters compared to those in France.

• Informative
Reactions: tillson and flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Oh, and BTW, you really think forward thinking Tory controllers would sanction a brown party leader to gain ratification at next GE. I doubt it. BJ is packaged away, told to go on holidays and await their call.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You should forget BJ. His time has passed. He won big last time because Corbyn has moved his party so far left of centre. It's no longer the case with Starmer. If Sunak loses the next GE, Jeremy Hunt will be next in line.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
You should forget BJ. His time has passed. He won big last time because Corbyn has moved his party so far left of centre. It's no longer the case with Starmer. If Sunak loses the next GE, Jeremy Hunt will be next in line.
well, parking the fact that Sunak is almost as disikeable as Boris (and barely more dislikeable than Starmer) the main thing is that we're likely to return to the EU/EEA and that the Tory experiment to turn the UK into an onshore tax haven failed. Complaining about the expensive, pointless way we returned to where we started is probably (as erasmus would say) surdo oppedere (like belching before the deaf).

Reactions: Zlatan

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I need a Babel Fish of Adams' fame...

Last edited:

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
I think it's really good that our new Home Secretary has shown herself to be fully supportive regarding the rehabilitation of offenders.

• :D

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I think it's really good that our new Home Secretary has shown herself to be fully supportive regarding the rehabilitation of offenders.
And that Hunt is showing all those Tory qualities we all value. Apparently some charity he set up has paid 60% (this report says 72%??)of all its donations to its chief executive who happens to be on Hunts payroll too. (or was) Hunt just happens to be one of the charities directors. (Patient Watch)

And Hunt is supposed to be one of the good guys.?? Or so I thought. Sack him.
And, I, m not sure point of a charity that has a total annual income of £164k with a total expenditure of £199k? How does that work?

Last edited:
  • Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And, I, m not sure point of a charity that has a total annual income of £164k with a total expenditure of £199k? How does that work?
Tax relief on charitable giving will account for a large sum. The charity I'm on the committee of gets donations on which we claim tax relief from HMRC, boosting the total received.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
And that Hunt is showing all those Tory qualities we all value. Apparently some charity he set up has paid 60% (this report says 72%??)of all its donations to its chief executive who happens to be on Hunts payroll too. (or was) Hunt just happens to be one of the charities directors. (Patient Watch)

Cue the "Shit" Sajid Javid... :rolleyes:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

You can download their accounts from the Charity Commission website. They used 25k of their reserve in 2021. There's nothing to see here. Same with Sunak's wife non-dom, she is an Indian citizen living in London, she pays her taxes in her country and 50k a year to HMRC to live here. I dislike tax dodgers but what they do is totally legal.
If you were to apply the same standards to BJ then he should never have been given a high office.

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
A man in a hot air balloon realized he was lost. He reduced altitude and spotted a man below. He descended a bit more and shouted: "'Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago but I don't know where I am".

The man below replied "You're in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet above the ground. You're between 40 and 41 degrees north latitude and between 59 and 60 degrees west longitude".

"You must be a technician." said the balloonist. "I am" replied the man "how did you know?" "Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you have told me is probably technically correct, but I've no idea what to make of your information and the fact is, I'm still lost....

Frankly, you've not been much help at all. If anything, you've delayed my trip with your talk."
The man below responded, "You must be a Tory politician". "I am" replied the balloonist, "but how did you know?"

"Well," said the man "you don't know where you are or where you're going. You have risen to where you are, due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise, which you've no idea how to keep, and you expect people beneath you to solve your problems.

The fact is you are in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my f**king fault!!!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
They are in the middle of the Atlantic

• :D
Reactions: oyster

Advertisers