Brexit, for once some facts.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Why isnt coffey serving large caramel lattes in her local McDonalds instead of playing politics? She has the perfect demeanour for it
She'd swell to the size of several wildebeest working at McD's. Talking of which I feel sooo much better after my 2 mile slow jog just now - happy chemicals duly produced. Pretending to pedal for 24 miles doesn't have the same effect, nor does that break down the plantar fasciitis which has afflicted my feet since 2012, and fake cycling doesn't tax my calf muscles as much either...

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
i guess the subtext in all of this is one nation conservatism vs the erg - the former seeming to have the upper hand for now. not that i imagine any of this will last, leaky sue is rapidly fracking the tory factions & laying sunak's extreme & quite repulsive right wing values bare. Not that, as you say, there's anything remotely likeable about any of them.
Now they're ALL being sneaky... pretending nothing untoward has happened, that they didn't cause the colossal fuckup they want thickos to forget - I expect a lot of sneaky tax hikes plus a bunch of the usual lies about "Levelling up", house building and other utter bullshit vapourware, when we need to be a leading exporter of green energy (or something else), which we are well situated to produce. Who knows? Maybe we can be the workshop of the world again. Whichever country is the workshop of the world, has the potential to rule it.

We won't get there by exporting chicken tikka masala through some sort of "Handout To Export Out" scheme.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
She'd swell to the size of several wildebeest working at McD's. Talking of which I feel sooo much better after my 2 mile slow jog just now - happy chemicals duly produced. Pretending to pedal for 24 miles doesn't have the same effect, nor does that break down the plantar fasciitis which has afflicted my feet since 2012, and fake cycling doesn't tax my calf muscles as much either...
never know how to feel about Coffey & Braverman - they are pounding holes in bottom of the torytanic at rate Boris couldn't dream of. with hindsight, Grayling is a beacon of ******* integrity. and god knows in the absence of a credible articulated alternative way forward from Starmer we utterly desperately need that.
honest answer on another level is i haven't run for a week - picked up a bug in gym that scared crap out of me (tested negative on lateral flow but caused dry hacking cough, several breathless genuinely worrying episodes). However, pounding tarmac in early winter twilight is just too bloody depressing, so back to the gym it will be. Agree though nothing has same cathartic effect as running, physically and otherwise, cycling doesn't come close. Also fixed pompholyx for me. learned as an aside that running on balls of feet (PITA as it is at first) prevents runners knee.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Also fixed pompholyx for me. learned as an aside that running on balls of feet (PITA as it is at first) prevents runners knee.
Prior to the pandemic, I hadn't cycled since the late 80s... and for the first few months after resuming, I cycled mid-foot, but switched to forefoot which increased speed. The same has happened in the past with much more regular running, and might again - running like an animal can get one to dizzying speeds. There is archeological evidence which suggests we used to commonly run around at about 23mph - as fast as an Olympic sprinter:

... perhaps as part of the strategy to exhaust prey, with a final sprint to the kill. With slow running, I end up landing mid-foot with very little impact because strides are so small, and my elevation is very minimal. I would love to run barefoot, but will not risk it on these biohazard pavements. Could try it if I bought my own treadmill, or after applying copious quantinties of isopropyl alcohol all over one at a gym.

My right hip has a touch of arthritis, must run more often to clear it - causing a little damage through exercise reminds the immune system that it should be repairing the body, instead of being a dick. Running gives it a reboot.

Chest pains have completely disappeared after giving up cheese and dead animals (apart from the occasional fish), which leaves more room to eat through the massive stock of beans I doomsday prepped two years ago. And with food being at such madly inflated prices, it's saving me cash too. Which reminds me to sprout more beans...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Prior to the pandemic, I hadn't cycled since the late 80s... and for the first few months after resuming, I cycled mid-foot, but switched to forefoot which increased speed. The same has happened in the past with much more regular running, and might again - running like an animal can get one to dizzying speeds. There is archeological evidence which suggests we used to commonly run around at about 23mph - as fast as an Olympic sprinter:

... perhaps as part of the strategy to exhaust prey, with a final sprint to the kill. With slow running, I end up landing mid-foot with very little impact because strides are so small, and my elevation is very minimal. I would love to run barefoot, but will not risk it on these biohazard pavements. Could try it if I bought my own treadmill, or after applying copious quantinties of isopropyl alcohol all over one at a gym.

My right hip has a touch of arthritis, must run more often to clear it - causing a little damage through exercise reminds the immune system that it should be repairing the body, instead of being a dick. Running gives it a reboot.

Chest pains have completely disappeared after giving up cheese and dead animals (apart from the occasional fish), which leaves more room to eat throiugh the massive stock of beans I doomsday prepped two years ago. And with food being at such mad inflated prices, it's saving me a lot of cash too. :cool:
sounds like time for the old mobility scooter ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
sounds like time for the old mobility scooter ;)

Never! Nature takes away what we don't use. And strives to improve what hasn't been used for awhile...

But I wouldn't mind that one :p

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
  • :D
  • Informative
Reactions: POLLY and oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Polls:
With hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to leave the EU?
Right: 34.3%
Wrong: 52.6%
Rest don't know.
OBR puts the economic damage to 4% of GDP.
I reckon it's more than 4%
BTW, 48% think there should be another referendum in the next 10 years

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tillson and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Polls:
With hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to leave the EU?
Right: 34.3%
Wrong: 52.6%
Rest don't know.
OBR puts the economic damage to 4% of GDP.
I reckon it's more than 4%
BTW, 48% think there should be another referendum in the next 10 years
It might get to the point where a referendum ends up being towards the academic.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It might get to the point where a referendum ends up being towards the academic.
67% of statistics are made up. Honest.
On a serious note, remainers/rejoiners should be careful not to put blame for all our ills on Brexit. Just returned from Spain (Madrid) and folk certainly aren't happy with anything there either. (all well fed up with cost of fuel, food, transport, poor wages etc etc) No doubt Brexit hasn't helped our situation but whole of EU (probably world) is in a bit of a mess at moment. I certainly can't remember such widespread turmoil and unrest.
How different would we really be had 2016 ref voted to remain? We, d all still be moaning.

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
67% of statistics are made up. Honest.
On a serious note, remainers/rejoiners should be careful not to put blame for all our ills on Brexit. Just returned from Spain (Madrid) and folk certainly aren't happy with anything there either. (all well fed up with cost of fuel, food, transport, poor wages etc etc) No doubt Brexit hasn't helped our situation but whole of EU (probably world) is in a bit of a mess at moment. I certainly can't remember such widespread turmoil and unrest.
How different would we really be had 2016 ref voted to remain? We, d all still be moaning.
Vote leave is inseperable from far right/erg tory government. Let's pause for a moment and imagine a uk in which boris, truss, kwarteng did not happen. And the statistically verified collapse of the pound, exit of business immediately after brexit vote didn't happen. There isn't any way we would not have been much better off without this massive hedge fund enriching self inflicted nightmare.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Vote leave is inseperable from far right/erg tory government. Let's pause for a moment and imagine a uk in which boris, truss, kwarteng did not happen. And the statistically verified collapse of the pound, exit of business immediately after brexit vote didn't happen. There isn't any way we would not have been much better off without this massive hedge fund enriching self inflicted nightmare.
Not to mention the mass desertion of EU health workers from the NHS and the collapse of recruiting from the EU from several thousands a month to effectively zero within just seven months of 2016.

And the resulting over 6 year waiting list the NHS now has for important and often vital procedures.

Brexit was an unmitigated disaster with decades long consequences, including the unnecessary premature loss of very many lives.

To not see that is to be in political denial.

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Not to mention the mass desertion of EU health workers from the NHS and the collapse of recruiting from the EU from several thousands a month to effectively zero within just seven months of 2016.

And the resulting over 6 year waiting list the NHS now has for important and often vital procedures.

Brexit was an unmitigated disaster with decades long consequences, including the unnecessary premature loss of very many lives.

To not see that is to be in political denial.

Or, regrettably, collusion. I have a plumber, who voted for boris and brexit. not least because - in a very open eyed way - a world view that displace blame for failure on others (immigrants) prevents competition and frees him, he hopes, from customer protecting eu regulation. the hidden agenda of both work quite well for him (even if it makes us nationally poorer, less competitive and a dystopia)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Foresight is an amazing thing. It's what consulting true experts attempts to provide.

Brexit red tape puts brakes on UK innovation and EU sales
Many new products now need multiple safety test facilities for home and abroad, say entrepreneurs

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This goverment is a critical mass of the useless class, a conglomeration of the former outcast. With so many scandals among this group of sleazy social vandals, it surely cannot last. (In any way that you'd know it, I'm clearly no poet)

Last edited:

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
This goverment is a critical mass of the useless class, a conglomeration of the former outcast. With so many scandals among this group of sleazy social vandals, it surely cannot last. (In any way that you'd know it, I'm clearly no poet)
to borrow a phase I heard a mature lady say on TV recently about our present politics, "what the cockeyed hells going on"

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
to borrow a phase I heard a mature lady say on TV recently about our present politics, "what the cockeyed hells going on"
Boris will have a lot of erections, before we're allowed an election. He'll impregnate many, befoe I get any. How anyone can shag something so execrable, is totally inexplicable. Being near to such a stench, must be quite a wrench. Write and complain, if it hurts your brain. For these criminally rhymed lines, I fear I shall do time...

(So I'll stop)

Signings have increased in frequency, after a short period of "Sneaky Sunak is PM without getting a single vote from the membership or the general public?!?!? What the hell?!?!? Guerney was right, Sunak is super sneaky"

Last edited:

Advertisers