Brexit, for once some facts.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It is foolish to rely on hope in politics.
That's why you should plan for the worst.??But you are correct Europe's hope of a benign Russia was misguided,as events have proven.

And just out of blue, why has nothing ever been done about Turkey seizing a third of Cyprus? Has lots of parallels with Russia/Ukraine but no sanctions at all. In fact quite the reverse, arms embargo only recently lifted on southern Cyprus?? (They had to procure arms ftom Russia??, which is why embargo has been lifted, so they can relinquish Russian tanks etc to Ukraine and now buy Western arms??)

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
UK risks sleepwalking into food supply crisis, says farmers’ union
NFU warns farmers are struggling with soaring cost of fuel, fertiliser and feed

I'm set for winter food - found 10 more pumpkins hiding away in the garden yesterday, They're protected from frost in the greenhouse, until I can haul them 12 miles home, to add to the other 25 I have in storage - that's after having eaten or given away 9 so far. And there are 7 more in a rucksack I carried home by bike.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's why you should plan for the worst.??But you are correct Europe's hope of a benign Russia was misguided,as events have proven.
The EU made it misguided by snubbing Putin's year 2000 approach about joining the EU, in part due to America's opposition to it. Of course a communist country could not have joined the EU since that is incompatible with the EU's target, but a communist country could have had one of the associated EEC style memberships.

That, plus the USA's policy of needlessly expanding NATO to Russia's border are why we have our present situation instead of friendship, so it's wrong to blame Russia for what the west caused.

And just out of blue, why has nothing ever been done about Turkey seizing a third of Cyprus? Has lots of parallels with Russia/Ukraine but no sanctions at all. In fact quite the reverse, arms embargo only recently lifted on southern Cyprus?? (They had to procure arms ftom Russia??, which is why embargo has been lifted, so they can relinquish Russian tanks etc to Ukraine and now buy Western arms??)
Fear and expedience is why.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is a personal friend of Putin, so despite Turkey being a NATO member they rejected the USA's anti missile system and bought Russia's one instead. Turkey also has all the secrets of the USA's latest B35 war planes and has long had the second largest standing army in NATO after America's.

So sitting in the middle in both camps they are in a very powerful position to help or hurt either. So over Cyprus the west has no option other than to please Turkey.

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The EU made it misguided by snubbing Putin's year 2000 approach about joining the EU, in part due to America's opposition to it. Of course a communist country could not have joined the EU since that is incompatible with the EU's target, but a communist country could have had one of the associated EEC style memberships.

That, plus the USA's policy of needlessly expanding NATO to Russia's border are why we have our present situation instead of friendship, so it's wrong to blame Russia for what the west caused.

Fear and expedience is why.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is a personal friend of Putin, so despite Turkey being a NATO member they rejected the USA's anti missile system and bought Russia's one instead. Turkey also has all the secrets of the USA's latest B35 war planes and has long had the second largest standing army in NATO after America's.

So sitting in the middle in both camps they are in a very powerful position to help or hurt either. So over Cyprus the west has no option other than to please Turkey.
I, ll bet those Bayrakter drones have tested that friendship..
It's a crazy situation and reflects badly on EU when 2 of its members could quite easily go to war. (Greece and Turkey with Cyprus trying to keep peace between them) Looks to me as though both countries are looking for things to argue about with Aegean Sea, Islands, Crete and Cyprus all being areas to argue over, then bear in mind those 1000 or so Canadian peace keepers and 2 battalions of UK soldiers (around 3500 troops) based on Cyprus doesn't look so many against 40,000 Turkish troops.???

???

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's a crazy situation and reflects badly on EU when 2 of its members could quite easily go to war. (Greece and Turkey with Cyprus trying to keep peace between them)
Don't take any notice of that Greek propaganda, it's rubbish. As a tiny country they have a persecution complex over Turkey, always imagining they are under threat from Turkey.

Turkey has no ambitions there, if they had they'd have taken Greece very long ago. Turkey's permanent standing army alone is over seven times the entire Greek population, man woman and child, it would be no contest. But they will never attack another NATO member since their own NATO membership is too important to them.

Cyprus is an entirely different issue. Very close to Turkey and quite a distance from Greece, it's somewhat like the Cuba and USA's difficult relationship due the proximity. OK while Cuba was following the US model of privileged and poor, but not OK when they palled up with South American revolutionaries and Russian communism.

As so often though, we and our imperialism were at the root of the Cyprus problem:

Unilaterally declaring Cyprus a British Protectorate after the Ottoman Empire (Turkey) sided with the "Central Powers" (the opposing countries in WW1).

Imposing our education system there which emphasized ethnic differences to assist in the Empire's system of "Divide and Rule". Turkish and Greek Cypriots, unlike in their homelands, had always live in perfect harmony together until we rocked that boat by teaching their young otherwise, fostering unrest.

It's back to the old story of the evils of empires (Ottoman and British) and indeed globalisation.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Woosh and Zlatan

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Try The Conservative Woman website, or The Expose or Health Impact News.
A belated thank you for that information.
I had not heard of "the conservative woman" website prior to a couple of weeks ago, when it was mentioned by someone on a phone-in radio show. Your pointing to it here then made me search it out. Very interesting. And not really what I was expecting going by its title!
It seems to be one of the few sites out there discussing, among other things, unprecedented health issues that seem to be happening, yet do not appear to be discussed in the mainstream media. Even people on forums such as these aren't talking about it.

Fascinating.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

9pm mon-thur

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK

9pm mon-thur
Ah. Redacted!
Yes, they are doing some really good work and seem to also be reporting on things that for whatever reason, are often/always missing or misreported from the mainstream media.
I'm kind of shocked that youtube hasn't banned the channel. Yes I realise that everything they report is out there and demonstrably exists, but then that hasn't stopped other channels from being pulled for doing the same.

Same for platforms like Twitter.
And what Elon is doing in releasing 'the twitter files' should be one of the biggest stories EVER because of what's coming to light. But then ... its crickets pretty much everywhere apart from the few sources such as Redacted who are actually reporting on what's going on.

Reactions: Torque

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is simple all corporations care about is profit we are just the slaves to there system now.

and what did i say 2 years ago with proof!

In order to protect mRNA molecules from the body’s natural defenses, drug developers must wrap them in a protective casing. For Moderna, that meant putting its Crigler-Najjar therapy in nanoparticles made of lipids. And for its chemists, those nanoparticles created a daunting challenge: Dose too little, and you don’t get enough enzyme to affect the disease; dose too much, and the drug is too toxic for patients.

granny can freeze to death this year tho as that's fine and will save money from the dwp pension fund :p

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ireland's leaders have taken a leaf out of Russia's books, imitating what Vladimir Putin and Dmitry Medvedev did when they swapped the roles of President and Prime Minister to retain power by circumventing the rules.

In a first for the Republic of Ireland's political system following a previous agreement to swap places, Fine Gael leader Leo Varadkar will become Taoiseach of Ireland on Saturday, while Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin will become Tanaiste (deputy leader).

Hopefully the similarity ends there and the Republic will not go on to invade Northern Ireland in a "Special Operation". ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Ireland's leaders have taken a leaf out of Russia's books, imitating what Vladimir Putin and Dmitry Medvedev did when they swapped the roles of President and Prime Minister to retain power by circumventing the rules.

In a first for the Republic of Ireland's political system following a previous agreement to swap places, Fine Gael leader Leo Varadkar will become Taoiseach of Ireland on Saturday, while Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin will become Tanaiste (deputy leader).

Hopefully the similarity ends there and the Republic will not go on to invade Northern Ireland in a "Special Operation". ;)
It is really not much different than what Blair and Brown did back in the day... . Their huge concern is to keep Sinn Fein from taking over Government. The remarkable thing is the fact that it has taken so long. The major distinction between FF and FG is what side their grandparents were on during the Civil War which erupted in 1922 and lasted a year. The differences between the two parties was never ideological ..both are broadly speaking Centralist . Once FG would have had more solicitors and bigger farmers .. sort of Conservative Lite ,and more socially liberal ..in the manner of the UK Anglicans and FF would have been the employees and farm labourer..but is much more likely now to be the local estate agent. We really don't have an equivalent to what used to be a UK Labour Party. ..
SF have plenty of very attractive policies on housing ..and this is appealing to the under 30 s , ..and their parents ..my generation who want to see our kids housed. However SF have selective amnesia ,regarding their behaviour in "the armed struggle"... That is something my generation cannot forget..or forgive.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
SF have plenty of very attractive policies on housing ..and this is appealing to the under 30 s , ..and their parents ..my generation who want to see our kids housed. However SF have selective amnesia ,regarding their behaviour in "the armed struggle"... That is something my generation cannot forget..or forgive.
Indeed, but of course it means time is on their side. There does seem a certain inevitability about Sinn Fein's likely future success, both South and North.

As your generation pass, so will that of the guilty men.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
[URL unfurl="true"]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FkVlUHQXEAESI_6?format=jpg&name=900x900[/URL]Tweet

See new Tweets

Conversation

Larry the Cat
@Number10cat

Who would make a better boss of Twitter?

• Larry the Cat
    96.4%

• Elon Musk
    3.6%
63,618 votes·6 hours left

3:50 PM · Dec 19, 2022
And the reaction from Melon?
Elon Musk breaks silence after 10 million Twitter users vote for him to step down
The billionaire says only paid Twitter Blue subscribers will be able to vote in future policy-related polls on the platform

This all sounds terribly familiar

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
[URL unfurl="true"]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FkVlUHQXEAESI_6?format=jpg&name=900x900[/URL]Tweet

See new Tweets

Conversation

Larry the Cat
@Number10cat

Who would make a better boss of Twitter?

• Larry the Cat
    96.4%

• Elon Musk
    3.6%
63,618 votes·6 hours left

3:50 PM · Dec 19, 2022
And the reaction from Melon?
Elon Musk breaks silence after 10 million Twitter users vote for him to step down
The billionaire says only paid Twitter Blue subscribers will be able to vote in future policy-related polls on the platform

This all sounds terribly familiar
In a way it is democratic if simply working on the principle of
One man, one Vote
Elon is that man and has the vote

:cool:

Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Who puts lives at risk? Steve barclay or the unions? What do you think?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Who puts lives at risk? Steve barclay or the unions? What do you think?
It's rare for me to side with a Tory government, but on this occasion I do.

What the health worker unions are up to at the moment is too often blatant blackmail, taking advantage of the chance to maximise disruption at the most vulnerable time.

The nurses for example are on a minimum of £34,000. plus more for all the extra qualifications they obtain. That is good money already, even in current rising costs, and their claim for a 19% rise is totally unreasonable.

Pointless too, since granting it will just trigger a "me too" spiral of similar claims from all others, putting everyone back into the same position as it causes the equivalent price rises.

As a nation we've repeatedly chosen a government who have impoverished the country to the point where almost all of us are going to be less affluent well into the future.

We now have to live with what we created.

Last edited:

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
It's rare for me to side with a Tory government, but on this occasion I do.

What the health worker unions are up to at the moment is too often blatant blackmail, taking advantage of the chance to maximise disruption at the most vulnerable time.

The nurses for example are on a minimum of £34,000. plus more for all the extra qualifications they obtain. That is good money already, even in current rising costs, and their claim for a 19% rise is totally unreasonable.

Pointless too, since granting it will just trigger a "me too" spiral of similar claims from all others, putting everyone back into the same position as it causes the equivalent price rises.

As a nation we've repeatedly chosen a government who have impoverished the country to the point where almost all of us are going to be less affluent well into the future.

We now have to live with what we created.
I don't disagree with anything you say Flecc. But I do however believe the 4% offer is pathetic. The biggest problem as I see it is it was recommended by the independent pay review board (So far so good) but at the time the inflation rate was a fraction of what it is now.

Of course the 19% being demanded is totally ridiculous but I think a pay offer based on the same criteria using the current ONS data would go a long way towards resolving this and personally I think the government are blowing smoke when they hide behind the excuse that the pay rise was formulated by an independent body.

It seems reasonable to me that NHS remuneration should keep pace with inflation.

TTFN
John.

Advertisers