Brexit, for once some facts.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
johnsontwat back in number 10, world king.....................hope not, no sunny uplands for anybody:confused:
With Truss as chancellor. It will be a dream team. A world beater. And I mean beater (as in the way some of the piglet's friends were apparently beating off during those nr 10 parties).

• :D
Reactions: flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Unfortunately there is a waiting list of a year plus for those MGs ... I actually enquired. My 12year old Peugeot is playing up a bit.. I think it's one of those teenage year angst things,.. it will be sprouting acnes theou the paint work one of these months. But at present it's gone into sulky fits where it locks it's brakes on and won't shift no Matter the threats.
Model y (entry level) is discounted 7k to 44k I see. test drove one last year (jittery ride, leans in corners, interior underwhelming, not much faster than mg4 - circa 7s to 60 - and feels it) - and I'm probably not mentally adjusting to inflation, or just tight, but 44k for a car seem absurd.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm probably not mentally adjusting to inflation, or just tight, but 44k for a car seem absurd.
It's the norm now.

As I've been saying in a number of posts, car manufacturers are using the e-car switch to completely change their marketing policies. They are rightly fed up with fiercely competing with each other to sell the cheapest small cars in order to make a loss on each one and compensating for that loss by selling a few premium models. It's why GM walked out of Europe

So now it's out with high numbers of small loss making cars, instead only marketing smaller numbers of premium cars at a healthy profit. Why not? Less work, more profit.

And of course that is precisely what governments worldwide also want, far fewer people able to afford cars and causing no end of trouble and expense using them.

Welcome to the future, it's going to be a shock to the many.

• Informative
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
It's the norm now.

As I've been saying in a number of posts, car manufacturers are using the e-car switch to completely change their marketing policies. They are rightly fed up with fiercely competing with each other to sell the cheapest small cars in order to make a loss on each one and compensating for that loss by selling a few premium models. It's why GM walked out of Europe

So now it's out with high numbers of small loss making cars, instead only marketing smaller numbers of premium cars at a healthy profit. Why not? Less work, more profit.

And of course that is precisely what governments worldwide also want, far fewer people able to afford cars and causing no end of trouble and expense using them.

Welcome to the future, it's going to be a shock to the many.
Musk has discounted new models recently, including y
Hopefully other ev manufacturers follow suite (though probably not entry level such as mg)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Musk has discounted new models recently, including y
Hopefully other ev manufacturers follow suite (though probably not entry level such as mg)
No chance. That 7k reduction is because Tesla have always grossly overpriced, but as you've noted, £44,000 is still very expensive for what the model Y is.

You can't take any notice of MG prices , that's China out of line. If the Chinese step too far out of line they'll just get a high anti-dumping tax applied as happened to their e-bikes. In any case an MG at £30k is still double the ic cars of the old pricing market.

The cost of motoring is now doubling, both the new cars and the fuel to run them. And we've already been warned the VED goes up from 2025.

And even for those who can afford to carry on driving, they'll increasingly be doing that at the ever spreading town 20 mph and smart motorway speed limits.

The fun days are behind us now.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Some of you will remember that out of curiosity shortly before Xmas I checked WeBuyAnyCar for my very low mileage Nissan Leaf's price.

I've just received the sixteenth email from them, still pleading to buy it. That is how desperately short of e-cars the market is, so much for the silly media reports trying to say their sales are falling.
The seventeenth email from them arrived today, still desperate to buy it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and snafu

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If they think leaving was painful, wait until they try to rejoin. :eek:
It will be much easier than you think, the EU will enjoy the "We told you so" experience. And a country rejoining after leaving will strengthen the EU by causing uncertainty among the anti-EU elements in other member countries.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimod and wheeler

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
It will be much easier than you think, the EU will enjoy the "We told you so" experience. And a country rejoining after leaving will strengthen the EU by causing uncertainty among the anti-EU elements in other member countries.
I personally don't see it happening in my lifetime. Much closer links yes, possibly even a covert rejoin under the radar.

But I think the proposal of another referendum would be catastrophic for whoever was in power at the time. Doing it without a referendum would be catastrophic for whoever was in power as well. "Brexiteer's" didn't get the "Brexit" they wanted and I don't think "Re-Joiners/Remainers" would get the deal they want either.

(Mind you another referendum on Brexit would give Nicola Krankie the perfect argument for her appeals against the blocking of a new "Scottish Independence" vote).

TTFN
John.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
possibly even a covert rejoin under the radar.
That's already happening.

I don't think "Re-Joiners/Remainers" would get the deal they want either.
I would John. I'm a remainer who always wanted the UK to be a fully participating member in the euro area and with fully open borders, supporting eventual union into a single country called Europe, comprised of member states.

• Agree
Reactions: snafu and Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
we should do a deal with France and just takeover the hole eu as no France= no nukes.

and then we can join china :p

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That was Churchill 's plan.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
I would John. I'm a remainer who always wanted the UK to be a fully participating member in the euro area and with fully open borders, supporting eventual union into a single country called Europe, comprised of member states.
Again, I don't disagree with you Flecc. But as usual we have a different amount of faith in the general populous.

To most, (Or at least those in my local area). The original referendum was about sovereignty and taking control of our borders (So how's that going for them). :rolleyes: An undercover alignment is in my opinion the best that can be hoped for in the near future.

Of course, by the time I'm kicking up daisies the planet will be a very different place and the youth of today will all be middle aged and if you believe the various polls most never supported it anyway. :)

TTFN
John.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers