Brexit, for once some facts.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Shows there's some hope yet for the public in general, who seem to be finally coming to their senses.

Not the coterie of Boris fans though, deluded enough to think he could lead the party to victory at the next GE.

Since Partygate and the chaos of 3 PMs and policies in quick succession, all Johnson could achieve would be to increase their losing margin.

But it's far from certain Starmer's "New" Labour would win outright. It could mean a coalition, with the price of that being granting a Scottish referendum on independence. Appropriate, since it was New Labour who brought in devolution with a Scottish parliament.
He's ticked his "Become Prime Minister" box. Toxic charisma is being put to alternative use enabling rent-free living, and very highly paid speaking engagements. The combination of charisma and a Machiavellian mind, causes big problems for everyone else, in all walks of life.
Yes, although - seriously - where would we be without him? He has (leaving aside side shows like truss et al) single handedly scuppered the conservative movement. And brexit. And if one has a leader of the opposition like starmer (who I suspect would make legalising bestiality the central objective of the labour party if a focus group suggested its what the electorate wants) that's not to be scoffed at. I at least half seriously wish he would make comeback. Perhaps some friendly friend of a friend could forward him another 800k to do so..

• :D
Reactions: flecc and guerney

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent

More sunny uplands.

and more........

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
forget about selling UK assembled bikes to the EU as virtually all bike components are imported from the Far East.
The only way to get around these issues is to join the single market / EEA either via membership of EFTA or bespoke deal with the EU.

quotes:

The 2013 Trade and Investment Balance of Competence Review[1] states that “British firms would be exposed to a combination of administrative and compliance costs linked to rules of origin, ranging (based on existing estimates) from 4 percent to perhaps 15 percent of the cost of goods sold.” The complexity of supply chains can mean that proof of origin can be difficult for traders to supply and hard for authorities to assess.

For exporters, the costs of providing proof for preferential origin can outweigh the benefits. Steve Elliott, Chief Executive Officer of the Chemical Industries Association, stated in a House of Lords report[2] that due to several stages of synthesis involved, the cost of providing technical proof “would clearly outweigh the benefit of duty-free sales.”

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Prince Harry: the Express reckons that US TV shows are queueing up to get Harry host/commentate their shows at Charles' coronation in May.
Should he take the money or attend the coronation?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Prince Harry: the Express reckons that US TV shows are queueing up to get Harry host/commentate their shows at Charles' coronation in May.
Having left royalty and if he values his image, he should do neither, staying aloof with no further comment.

He might then start to regain some respect.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Doesn't one of his children have a birthday on coronation day? If his family values are to be believed surely he will be at his kids birthday party?

TTFN
John.

Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Only half of our citizens support the royal family and most of those who do read the right wing press.
he is still suing a few of their titles, he is not going to get any respect from them.
The best he can hope for is they lay off his family. His book seems to have worked in this regard.

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes, although - seriously - where would we be without him? He has (leaving aside side shows like truss et al) single handedly scuppered the conservative movement. And brexit. And if one has a leader of the opposition like starmer (who I suspect would make legalising bestiality the central objective of the labour party if a focus group suggested its what the electorate wants) that's not to be scoffed at. I at least half seriously wish he would make comeback. Perhaps some friendly friend of a friend could forward him another 800k to do so..
Senior Tories risk losing seats if Nigel Farage returns to politics, experts say
Reform UK resurgence and a Labour swing could threaten Iain Duncan Smith, Dominic Raab and Theresa Villiers

• Informative
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Having left royalty and if he values his image, he should do neither, staying aloof with no further comment.

I'm growing quite fond of ginger's outpourings. It seems to have given Randy the courage to have another go at Virginia (if tabloids are true). And brings to mind the way we're shifting attention from zahawi to sunak's tax history. Perhaps, I thought, as part of the infighting in that super sewer, the conservative party, as it tries to deposit another turd in our public life. But they're all accidental heroes, finding inexplicably more spots to puncture the establishment.

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
That's very harsh. I mean, to be fair, he did reduce NHS waiting lists.
I didn't think it was so bad. Seems we live in an age where folk look for things to be offended by. It's not height of good taste but actually quite refreshing in our woke times.
Good luck to "Dead Happy".. Made national radio, so all the offended folk have given company plenty of free advertising.

• Agree
Reactions: daveboy and flecc

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
I didn't think it was so bad. Seems we live in an age where folk look for things to be offended by. It's not height of good taste but actually quite refreshing in our woke times.
Good luck to "Dead Happy".. Made national radio, so all the offended folk have given company plenty of free advertising.
Well, I guess our respective understanding of woke probably differs somewhat. :)

I personally found it inconsiderate, though not necessarily offensive. But HS is fairly recent history and families of his victims I think would have every right to be offended. (15 confirmed murders but anything up to 250 others depending on who you believe).

Their free advertising didn't make me want to run out and buy one of their products.

TTFN
John.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But HS is fairly recent history and families of his victims I think would have every right to be offended. (15 confirmed murders but anything up to 250 others depending on who you believe).
I'd like to have known the real truth about Shipman, I doubt we do yet given how the media hype all such stories with exaggeration and all the emotion surrounding the story.

It appears he painlessly terminated elderly people who had prior medical conditions. Having witnessed close up the terrible suffering of those with terminal cancer and the like, if I ever ended up suffering like that I'd be relieved to have a Shipman as my doctor.

In my scheme of things, if a condition is incurable, the next best thing is relieving the suffering.

• Agree
Reactions: snafu

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
I'd like to have known the real truth about Shipman, I doubt we do yet given how the media hype all such stories with exaggeration and all the emotion surrounding the story.

It appears he painlessly terminated elderly people who had prior medical conditions. Having witnessed close up the terrible suffering of those with terminal cancer and the like, if I ever ended up suffering like that I'd be relieved to have a Shipman as my doctor.

In my scheme of things, if a condition is incurable, the next best thing is relieving the suffering.
I agree and I too have witnessed the suffering of a loved one with terminal cancer. The final months with my wonderful wife were something I doubt I will ever fully recover from and I would never wish on anyone.

But it wasn't Shipman's decision to make. No one, however qualified on the subject can ever be allowed to unilaterally make that decision IMO.

TTFN
John.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

oh well they made a $hit load of money on there toxic crap so thats ok then :p

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract

I thought the same until it came out that he had got them to sign their houses over to him or change their will to make him the sole beneficiary.

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Well, I guess our respective understanding of woke probably differs somewhat. :)

I personally found it inconsiderate, though not necessarily offensive. But HS is fairly recent history and families of his victims I think would have every right to be offended. (15 confirmed murders but anything up to 250 others depending on who you believe).

Their free advertising didn't make me want to run out and buy one of their products.

TTFN
John.
By the time we reach our ages unfortunately we, ve probably all experienced grief and sad times as loved ones depart. Yes, I have aswell.
If we look for outrage we can always find it.
The advert was in bad taste, agreed,but in its defence it does point out our lack of control over our destiny and does remind us all folk like Shipman exist. Both reasonable arguments to get insurance.
Personally, I don't want to live in a world which operates some filter to remove stuff some might be offended by. Who decides?
You wouldn't allow it, I would. That's life. Its tough sometimes.
Shipman existed, the advert or lack of it doesn't change the fact.
What annoys me more is ridiculing Einstein in attempts to sell smart meters. Now that should be banned. Kids now think he's some silly old bloke working for gas board rather than greatest physicist who ever lived. The wokes don't care about education and accuracy only about being offended.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

Advertisers