Brexit, for once some facts.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
design is not i think the problem (on a chain drive like a berkeley microcar it's almost plug and play), but batteries are (lifepo4 are cheap, indefinitely rechargeable, but heavy - 1.2kwh of reasonable quality (in 12v/100Ah as one may use on a boat to power equipment)can be had for £300, but weigh 20kg..)
I really wouldn't mind a 10Ah lifepo4 ebike battery which weighed about 5kg. My bike would easily cope with a 10kg one. "Indefinitely rechargeable" sounds great to me, and the only reason I'd ever consider making my own ebike battery. Expensive. How much would one for your car conversion cost?

This new e-quadricycle has a removable battery, won't be a heavy lipo methinks - it'd need a beefier trolley. The fully enclosed winter version has doors which can be opened in "under 10 seconds".

The electric car with a removable battery charges like an e-bike

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I really wouldn't mind a 10Ah lifepo4 ebike battery which weighed about 5kg. My bike would easily cope with a 10kg one. "Indefinitely rechargeable" sounds great to me, and the only reason I'd ever consider making my own ebike battery. Expensive. How much would one for your car conversion cost?

This new e-quadricycle has a removable battery, won't be a heavy lipo methinks - it'd need a beefier trolley. The fully enclosed winter version has doors which can be opened in "under 10 seconds".

The electric car with a removable battery charges like an e-bike

AFAIK (and take it with salt, I'm no engineer) the only no gos with cheap lifepo4 is not to charge below 0 celsius and not to extract more than 1 C. Theoretically 20 kwh could be had for £6k and last forever and provide 20kw (1C, adequate for a microcar), but weigh more than 200kg, which is a dealbreaker. Even on an ebike 600wh will weigh I guess at least 7kg, which would be quite a pita?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
This is an extract from the BBC’s news app.

“Electric motorbikes - or 'e-bikes' - may be an increasingly popular way to get around but have been blamed for terrorising neighbourhoods with anti-social and dangerous riding”

I wish they would draw the distinction between an e-bike and an electric motorcycle more clearly. I don’t know if the BBC give the impression that they are the same thing deliberately, due to lack of knowledge, lazy journalism or a combination of all three.

This sort of reporting plants the idea that e-bikes are toys owned by chavs, like quad bikes and e-scooters tend to be.

Reactions: MikelBikel

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Bbc news: Suella Braverman has been sacked. Just what she wanted but good riddance nonetheless. Gove should take her post.
David Cameron has just walked through the door after James Cloverly. What post has he been given?

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Bbc news: Suella Braverman has been sacked. Just what she wanted but good riddance nonetheless. Gove should take her post.
David Cameron has just walked through the door after James Cloverly. What post has he been given?
Well, her plans seem to be materialising

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I watched a YT video of Andrew Marr interviewing Nadine Dorries on LBC yesterday. It seems that Dom Cummings is still very active and his group will choose who governs the UK. Personally, I think it's a mistake to bring Cameron back.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I watched a YT video of Andrew Marr interviewing Nadine Dorries on LBC yesterday. It seems that Dom Cummings is still very active and his group will choose who governs the UK. Personally, I think it's a mistake to bring Cameron back.
dorries may (imho) not be a reliable witness, but there may be truth to that. Stating obvious, but sunak's making a play for neoconservative centre ground with cameron, occupied for now by Tony loving starmer. no doubt area controlled by cummings in conservative politics. lunatic rabid far right fringe (truss, Boris, suella etc) may be losing tory civil war, but personally I find it all depressing (listen to Rachel reeves hint at increasing size of Lords on today and realize doesn't matter what colour ties the pigs at the trough wear).

Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Marr tried to get Dorries to name drop. She was doing the rounds to sell her book 'The Plot'.
Marr wasn't very successful so all in all, it was a waste of time.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Personally, I think it's a mistake to bring Cameron back.
I think it was a very smart move on Sunak's part, the shock and surprise of Cameron's return a perfect way to divert all the attention from the Braverman sacking. And gaining an experienced hand as foreign secretary into the bargain, a first step towards getting back into Europe.

They're idiots, their day is well and truly over for a long time now, and trying to rock Sunaks boat won't work. He has to lead them into the next GE now, a fifth attempt at a new PM without a GEwould make the Tories a laughing stock.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
They are already a laughing stock. The fact is Sunak could not find anyone better than Cameron out of the current 350 tory MPs says it all. Cameron is intelligent but appears insincere and usually makes the wrong choices.

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Many idiots would mistake the party as centrist and vote for Cameron again, narrowing the polls and minimising losses - Sunak's spreadsheet says so.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
AFAIK (and take it with salt, I'm no engineer) the only no gos with cheap lifepo4 is not to charge below 0 celsius and not to extract more than 1 C. Theoretically 20 kwh could be had for £6k and last forever and provide 20kw (1C, adequate for a microcar), but weigh more than 200kg, which is a dealbreaker. Even on an ebike 600wh will weigh I guess at least 7kg, which would be quite a pita?
Not for me, that's only about 2.4kg heavier than the battery I have now, no pain at all. My bike cares not about weight. It'd be expensive and a difficult build though (for me at least), I explored different lipo cell formats with @Nealh on a thread some time ago.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They are already a laughing stock. The fact is Sunak could not find anyone better than Cameron out of the current 350 tory MPs says it all. Cameron is intelligent but appears insincere and usually makes the wrong choices.
Sunak only had such unpromising material that he turned to a solution used a number of times before over the centuries, the reservists in the Lords. Last time was in 1963 with Sir Alec Douglas-Home.

Given the sorry state that party is in, being unconventional is not a bad tactic, since " same again" will certainly lose them the GE, as would the Tory right if unchecked

Never write off the Tory party, even now they could yet bounce back into power, given a fresh approach and using enough electoral bribery.

Starmer should remember that Neil Kinnock led the Labour Party to a surprise fourth consecutive defeat at the 1992 general election, despite the party being ahead of John Major's Conservative government in most opinion polls.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Never write off the Tory party, even now they could yet bounce back into power, given a fresh approach and using enough electoral bribery.
...and sufficient dissemination of misinformation. Yet another Tory win is a depressing and alarming prospect, but I agree. They have just enough time.

Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The fighting broke out apparently this evening. Braverman has a lot to say but so far, no killer blow unless she has some kompromat?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The fighting broke out apparently this evening. Braverman has a lot to say but so far, no killer blow unless she has some kompromat?
She's destroyed herself and probably her future. We already knew what a heartless, wicked bitch she is from her saying that homelessness is a lifestyle choice.

But her savage betrayal of her PM and Party is a whole new behavioural low. Who would ever offer her a post in office after this, knowing how she might respond?

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Not for me, that's only about 2.4kg heavier than the battery I have now, no pain at all. My bike cares not about weight. It'd be expensive and a difficult build though (for me at least), I explored different lipo cell formats with @Nealh on a thread some time ago.
have few very cheap 12v lifepo4 100a on boat, off back of watching too much diysolar on YouTube (and buying hype about lifepo4 giving 3k plus cycles because of lower cell voltage that prevent degradation). Fingers crossed no capacity loss so far, imagine 300 squid could give one, with cheap tab welder, 1kwh of lifepo4 that would last forever (if one didn't go crazy and pull more than 1kw)

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
have few very cheap 12v lifepo4 100a on boat, off back of watching too much diysolar on YouTube (and buying hype about lifepo4 giving 3k plus cycles because of lower cell voltage that prevent degradation). Fingers crossed no capacity loss so far, imagine 300 squid could give one, with cheap tab welder, 1kwh of lifepo4 that would last forever (if one didn't go crazy and pull more than 1kw)
I think a pricing for a 5Kwh car battery pack was being discussed at the time, and a discussion about an ebike lipo battery pack happened separately - construction of the latter is on my bucket list, of a similar capacity to my existing 19.2Ah battery.

• Informative
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I think a pricing for a 5Kwh car battery pack was being discussed at the time, and a discussion about an ebike lipo battery pack happened separately - construction of the latter is on my bucket list, of a similar capacity to my existing 19.2Ah battery.
Renogy (have no first hand experience) sell 12v 400a (just over 5kwh usable) for a black Friday £1.8k. In my ill advised back of envelope way I'd be tempted to whack three 12v 30a lifepo4's in series (can be had for about 100 quid each), which would give three times 385wh (in fact am half tempted to do this for old ebike I have with too saggy battery that use about 800w max, plonk it in something like big carradice saddlebag perhaps).
On another level I, naively, thought braverman was not that disturbed and merely throwing meat at the red wall. Kinda worrying to realise she may in fact be more disturbed than one thought.

Advertisers