Brief moment of panic

baboon

Pedelecer
May 16, 2008
About 8 miles into my 10 mile commute this morning, the battery meter on the handlebars of my Pro Connect went from 3 lights to 1. Visions of having to cycle all the way home with no power flashed through my mind, but when I turned the power off and on again, it returned to 3 lights on. Phew!

Anyone else experienced this, and does it mean anything? The only possible reasons I could think of were
a) I'd just ridden up a steepish hill on full power; but I do that every day and it doesn't usually change the power meter; or
b) I'd just ridden over a fairly bumpy bit of road; perhaps some connector got jolted and as a result the system thought the power was dropping off. But again I do this every day and it doesn't usually change the meter.

Can anyone think of an option c)?

Peter

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
c) your bike was being scanned by extraterrestrial lifeforms hovering above you.

My power lights are often reduced to a single red when climbing hills, but they've always returned to normal when I'm back on the flat.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, lithium cells can tire under heavy load and then recover immediately the load is removed, the voltage drop often severe under load with the meter dropping accordingly. The other reason this happens is an imperfect battery connection, these sometimes oxidizing slightly in humid weather conditions, so current delivery can be below par, leading to voltage drop at the meter. In that case, just unplug and replug the battery.