Bristol Non-event

hillclimber

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2012
Anyone who, like me, travelled to the Bristol ebike event with a view to test-riding a selection of bikes, has had a wasted journey. The pathetic, enclosed, 'test circuit' would not have challenged a Dinky Toy. What a farce!

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Sadly, I went there in a camprevan.
I spent an hour and a half driving around Bristol trying to find somewhere to park. The van is too high to go into multi storeys so I was searching for on street parking but everywhere was full.
Not knowing Bristol I had to rely on the SatNav which was having a fit because so many streets were blocked off. I know Bathurst Basin and thought that I might be able to park there. I set the SatNav but soon found the roads blocked. Worse, I then got entangled with what appeared to be a bike race and a foot marathon on much the same course. I left Bristol with a red face!

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I had the same trouble with the satnav throwing a hissy fit but finally got into a multi not far from the show.
Thoroughly enjoyed myself.
Ok the test track was naff but lots of lovely bikes to try.

D

Deleted member 4366

There were lot of events on all over Bristol so many roads were blocked. Sat Nav couldn't help because it didn't know about them.

We spent ages looking for a space to park my camer van until we found a car park. Unfortunately all day parking wasn't allowed, neither was return, so we had to do it again later only to find even more roads blocked. It spoil the day a bit.

Last year youu could rride up Par St and elsewhere. Thr test circuit this time was a little disappointing. I think that if you were seriously interested, the vendors would have let you take the bike off the circuit to test.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

hillclimber

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2012
I was there at 11.00. Not going to hang round all day on the off chance of being able to ride up Park Street.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I got to ride up Park st...

There was I, minding my own business, having a looksee at the Kudos bikes, when a bloke says,
"Are you here all day?" says he to me...
"Yes", says I to he...
"Great - you can ride the Arriba in our eliminator", says he...

So I did... & came 2nd (of 2)... &I can tell you this - Park st is a damn sight longer & steeper (partickly the top bit) than it looks!

So that's my excuse for the shaky video I took of some of the races: I'll post them as soon as poss - watch this space.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The parking was a joke. For me this spoilt the whole day, as by the time we found a place to park, we soon realized that we could not stay there all day. Straight away this spoilt the visit to the bike show.

To then have to drive around Bristol with so many road closures was a joke. No idea where to go, just driving around the streets. No diversion signs which may of helped. Having to reverse a large vehicle due to not being able to get through was stressful. By the time I moved to try and find another place, I was that irate I didn't bother getting my bike out the back to ride the 2 miles back to the show.

I think it needs to be better thought out. If you arrive and park up, you should be able to pay for a full day instead of thinking about moving your vehicle half way through your visit. For me this totally spoilt my day and I won't bother going again to Bristol.

I don't normally post negatives on here, but I really was so annoyed.

You would think with Bristol having so many good events during the year, you would think that the parking would be good. This might put other people like myself not to go in the future which is obviously a great shame.

On a positive note the bikes, and staff were spot on.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Well thats another place I will not be going back to in a hurry, last time was for a heart attack.
If the parkings that bad might try Telford or Tamworth free parking.

Bob:rolleyes:

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Probably, Bristol City Council had not realised that their event would draw in people from afar. They just arranged a fun day for Bristolians. I was first put out to find that they had closed the road up the Avon gorge which would have led me directly to Bathust Basin where I know I can park the camper. Worse, the road to the Basin was where the marathon (or road race) was taking place, so by then I was thrown completely.
I want to support this event because it looks good fun, just that the Council will have to make some sort of arrangements next year for campers, after all the Tour de France does, so why not Bristol?
They could reserve one side of the gorge for camper/large vehicle parking, perhaps with a prepaid ticket.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Well thats another place I will not be going back to in a hurry, last time was for a heart attack.
If the parkings that bad might try Telford or Tamworth free parking.

Bob:rolleyes:
Free parking in Tamworth where !!!!

Oh you mean in Venturer park. Well if you dont mind the queues to get in and out I guess its free (been stuck in the Sainsburys car park for well over 1 hour just trying to leave it as muppets controlling traffic seemed to think it was more important to let people in then get them out with obvious consequences).

I have in past near xmas driven to Birminghm and parked up in Bull Ring quicker than a friend has parked up there

Which is why unless im picking up a large object I always bike into town.