Bristol Show

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
let's see if I get this: there were two Oxgygen MTBs in the race, the official one is the 2014 model, the unofficial one is the 2013 model. d8veh set the speed limiter on the 2014 Oxygen but did not check the 2013. Now, we only need the member who raced against Col to say if his bike was derestricted.
I am not clear on one point. Did Col race in the final heat against the 2014 Oxygen? and can someone post the videos of the race?

D

Deleted member 4366

Correct. Two Oxygen bikes: The normal E-mate, and the new MTB. They told me that they didn't want to be disqualified for cheating. They know how to set the speed limit in the normal E-mate, but the new MTB has a rather more sophisticated LCD, which they weren't sure of, so they asked me to check it. After setting, I checked it three times to make sure it cut off at 15.5 mph.

I know these guys. I spent a lot of time with them in the morning. They were very concerned about following the rules. They were told that the cut-off speed would be checked,

Colin was beaten by a guy that had trained very hard, and so he was beaten by sheer pedal power. He under-estimated his opponent. The guy was a ringer, and he was supposed to win, except that he messed up his gearing in his last heat because he wasn't used to the bike.

We were surprised as anyone when Dale won on the MTB, since he's not even a cyclist. He won because that bike has a lot of torque right up to 15.5 mph. He always got off the line quicker to pull out a lead, then his opponents would catch up, but he'd make ground again at the very top of the hill when his opponents ran out of steam.

I should be able to post videos soon. I'm just waiting for them to be sent to me.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
OK, there's only one way to settle this. Both companies need to send me a bike for a month's trial. I'll report on here as to which one gets me up hills better. I've got plenty of hills to choose from: steep hills, shallow hills, long hills and short hills. ;)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Coming from a motorcycle circuit racing background, your statement below pretty much winds me up more than anything. I hate cheating at any level.

The guy was a ringer, and he was supposed to win.
So straight away, the odds are taken away from other riders and the event was trying to be fixed. I'm afraid that in my eyes, it makes the whole event a sham and has lost any and all credibility. I now view Oxygen as a brand, in the same way that I would dog crap on the sole of my shoe.
I was set to come down for next years event, but sadly your statement has and has saved me from wasting my time and effort. I'm not into cheats, cheating, and win at all costs. A hollow win is a completely meaningless one. I'd be surprised if any manufacturer bothers turning up next year.

OK, there's only one way to settle this. Both companies need to send me a bike for a month's trial. I'll report on here as to which one gets me up hills better. I've got plenty of hills to choose from: steep hills, shallow hills, long hills and short hills. ;)
I was originally going to suggest the same, but now I wouldn't give Oxygen the time of day.
Like Col, I won't be coming back to this thread again.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

You lot take it too seriously. It was quite legitimate. The guy was the son of the owner of Oxygen. It just happens that he's a good cyclist too like many people associated with the trade are. Nothing underhand. It was no different to Colin riding his bike. Every brand chose their own champion to ride their bike.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Perhaps riders should have to fit into a certain performance parameters before being eligible to compete. Suggested qualifications:

Over 100 kilos.
Over 40.
Must have consumed a pastry based meal while waiting on the start line.

PM to book me for next year!

D

Deleted member 4366

Perhaps riders should have to fit into a certain performance parameters before being eligible to compete. Suggested qualifications:

Over 100 kilos.
Over 40.
Must have consumed a pastry based meal while waiting on the start line.

PM to book me for next year!
I'm in, but only if we race down the hill.

Reactions: Alan Quay

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I'm over 50 and 100kg. But can I have a curry or kebab instead

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
In some respects the commercial element just takes away the fun of this event. I know Dave(d8veh),Colin(KTM) and Andrew(Oxygen),they are all good guys and I am certain none of them would get involved in cheating.
The danger of all this aftermath is that we will all be compelled to put ringer riders and 'tuned' bikes into the race,that would be a shame..IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A BIT OF FUN.
Last year Kudos took a bike off our stand and one of my guys,albeit the fittest one,rode it up the hill...I don't think we did very well...but does that matter,would anyone buy an Oxygen bike because it was fastest up this hill..I have sent out 4 bikes today,not one of those customers cared a damn what bike was fastest up Park Street,two were Kudos Tempo's,bought primarily because they were the only bikes that would suit a smaller lady.
Ok some prides were dented,maybe we're all competitive at heart but let's keep it in perspective,it is just a bit of fun.
KudosDave

Trevor George

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2014
Hotwells, Bristol, (UK)
Ok, some prides were dented, maybe we're all competitive at heart but let's keep it in perspective, it is just a bit of fun.
That's exactly what it was . . . I was eliminated in the very first heat, and realised if the guy who won my heat was on my bike, (with a basket on front and panniers at rear), he would have easily won the heat, as you only have to take a look at the riders to guess who's going to win (assuming they start in the right gear).

No doubt the organisers will take note of this thread, and make doubly sure nothing like this happens next year and that all bikes (and riders) are scrutinised after an important race.

Please don't stay away next year because of a few disagreements this year. Your Mammas would be ashamed of you :(

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
OK, back on topic. When are my KTM and Oxygen bikes arriving? I'm in Central Scotland, we don't get long summers up here. ;)

P.S the weather forecast for North Scotland tonight is ground frost.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I was originally going to suggest the same, but now I wouldn't give Oxygen the time of day.
Too late, I got in first. I'm Scottish, you know what we're like. The first hint of a freebie and we're right in there. ;)

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
OK, back on topic. When are my KTM and Oxygen bikes arriving? I'm in Central Scotland, we don't get long summers up here. ;)

P.S the weather forecast for North Scotland tonight is ground frost.
Jim,we all know you are the Wiggo of the north,it just wouldn't be fair to enter a hill climbing,Sassenach eating champion,who wears skirts with no knickers,us mere mortals in the south stand no chance,unfair contest!!!!!
Hehe,KudosDave

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Jim,we all know you are the Wiggo of the north,it just wouldn't be fair to enter a hill climbing,Sassenach eating champion,who wears skirts with no knickers,us mere mortals in the south stand no chance,unfair contest!!!!!
Hehe,KudosDave
Just to lighten this thread a bit. A little tale of some, errrr, cheating I did today.

I was in getting new glasses today, the optician started talking about cycling and strava and his favourite hill. He showed me strava on his phone and said " you can 'follow' me if you want" . 30 minutes later and I'm on the Typhoon and heading up that hill like a maniac. I think my glasses might be tampered with when he checks his strava tonight.
It's childish I know but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. :)

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Well I am manual bike just now and a KOM top ten monkey in a few places.
But it's all down hill or on the flat where low profile means higher speed for the same wheezy input.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Ah, the land of two seasons; winter and August! I should visit again really.

Tom
Remember, we're closing the border in 2 years time. Judging by the state of the uk passport office, you'd best apply now if you need a renewal or we won't let you in. ;)