Broken battery rack bolt then broken battery cable

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, I was cycling home in the rain / wind and one of my racks bolts bust and one came loose / fell off. This chain of events then pulled my battery cable out of its connecter. A few choose words, a taxi home and £11 lighter.
Can somebody please tell me what type of connector I need, I imagine (probably wrong) it's a case of rewiring. / soldering the new cable wires into the controller.

There is 2 wires (black and red) coming out of the connector, this splits into 4 wires (2 black, 2 red when the connector is taken apart).

I have included photos of the broken cable end and connector.

Thanks for all your help.

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: KirstinS

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi, I was cycling home in the rain / wind and one of my racks bolts bust and one came loose / fell off. This chain of events then pulled my battery cable out of its connecter. A few choose words, a taxi home and £11 lighter.
Can somebody please tell me what type of connector I need, I imagine (probably wrong) it's a case of rewiring. / soldering the new cable wires into the controller.

There is 2 wires (black and red) coming out of the connector, this splits into 4 wires (2 black, 2 red when the connector is taken apart).

I have included photos of the broken cable end and connector.

Thanks for all your help.
Make sure that when you repair the plug/socket, that the correct polarity is observed and made, or you might possibly have a bad fire to contend with....
If what I have said does not "ring a bell" with you, hopefully someone else here who knows your bike/battery combination can give you exact details in some way.
Also, a cheap multi-meter would also help to identify the correct polarity for you, if you know how to use one......
Andy

Reactions: POLLY

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Knew I'd seen them before. I was looking for microphone connectors

Nice one SW

However, if the connectors are OK don't you just need a new length of cable to solder to the connectors you already have?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
mics use 3 pin xlr connectors op has speakon connector ;)

• Agree
Reactions: KirstinS

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, this is the end of the connector where the cable broke off. Could I just tidy up this and the cable attached to the connector and solder them together again. It looks like it was soldered in the middle. If not can anybody recommend a place to get the cable.

Thanks for all the answers.

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if the connector is not broken then you can just solder them back together. live,red should be the middle and the black earth on the outer.

tho they could have been wired the other way so best to check first.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi, this is the end of the connector where the cable broke off. Could I just tidy up this and the cable attached to the connector and solder them together again. It looks like it was soldered in the middle. If not can anybody recommend a place to get the cable.

Thanks for all the answers.
You must buy a new camera, or a new photographer, as all the pictures, are all out of focus, this one and the others....;):(:confused::eek:
For any soldered connection, heat shrink insulation can often help.
But never pull it over a hot joint, or it will shrink before you want it to!!
This might help futher:-
Regards
Andy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Yep just tin, solder and heat shrink the cable

If you need more cable use AVG as its very flexible
if you dont want dry solder joints use flux when soldering as it will flow much better and need less heat and be a far stronger connection, lead free solder is also crap.