broken cable help

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
With the moped set up you need a TL tyre set up as the removal isn't your typical bicycle set up, then you can use the cheaper tractor gunk sealant in the tyre all year round.
Hi Nealh whats TL tyre set up. does TL mean Tubeless, as Im not sure if the tyre is Tubeless.

also whats cheaper tractor gunk sealant

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Ive never fixed a Tubeless tyre before anyway. so you think my moped tyre is tubeless. and you say I need special tools to take off tyre. or do I just look around tyre for a punture hole as thats going to be hard, as especially if its slow going down

that sealant looks real good made from >>>> The sealant is a secret mixture of thixotropic compounds and recycled rubber.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't know if it is a TL tyre, depends if it uses a tube or not.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't know, never owned a moped.

Gliggsy

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
When the tyre is flat the valve will be loose in the wheel rim if it is a tube, if you can't move the valve or push it in when flat then it's most likely tubeless

Reactions: DiggyGun

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
When the tyre is flat the valve will be loose in the wheel rim if it is a tube, if you can't move the valve or push it in when flat then it's most likely tubeless
Ok thanks Gliggsy will check tyre when I have it in my flat. say it is tubeless do I have to remove the tyre and check inside and also outside as I think its a bit different to tube tyres. then use what Nealh suggested, as that seems very good, as it says >>>> The sealant remains active for the life of the tyre

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
If the tyre is tubeless you don't need to take it off the rim to repair a puncture. When you blow the tyre up the sealent should come out of the hole and seal it. if that doesn't work then you need a motorcycle plug kit which isn't expensive and is a good thing to carry if you have tubeless tyres. The problem might be you have a tubeless tyre with a tube inside because the rim is not configured for tubeless. This is quite common in the motorcycle world. If thats the case with your bike (check in the specs to see if the rims are tubeless rims) then you will have to take the tyre off to repair the tube.
Another respect to you for sticking with this bike, like others have said I would have punted it long ago.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
If the tyre is tubeless you don't need to take it off the rim to repair a puncture. When you blow the tyre up the sealent should come out of the hole and seal it. if that doesn't work then you need a motorcycle plug kit which isn't expensive and is a good thing to carry if you have tubeless tyres. The problem might be you have a tubeless tyre with a tube inside because the rim is not configured for tubeless. This is quite common in the motorcycle world. If thats the case with your bike (check in the specs to see if the rims are tubeless rims) then you will have to take the tyre off to repair the tube.
Another respect to you for sticking with this bike, like others have said I would have punted it long ago.
Well I have never added any sealant to tyre as of yet, thats if it is a tubeless tyre, which seems it could be, well since Ive had moped. and never had a puncture in it either. But will know once I have got moped up to my flat 2 flights of stairs, But brother will help me. its ok taking it down as I just walk backwards with moped. down the stairs. But Im afraid its too much taking it up lol. you say check the specs, Well Im afraid Erider are not very helpful at all. its the model 15. and not much help on youtube either.

Well yes reason why I stick with this moped is its taken 4 months to sort it thanks to Nealh and Matthewslack, also others here. so hope you can feel my frustation gettting back on the road. then get a dam puncture, cant believe the back luck I am getting. yes there has been times I have felt like dumping it. but not after I have spent money on it

Reactions: stevenatleven

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Well Im not 100% yet but it does seem the tyre has a tube, but its so hard to lever off near valve. I tried a long screw driver. but still cant see enough. so looks as if Im gonna have to remove wheel etc. the tyre says 16x250 But I dont know if I will cause damage to rim but trying a long screwdriver. but I have to get tube out thats if there is a tube. But Im sure I could see a bit of one when I levered up near valve. the valve isnt straight which would have made it easier to remove its angled

I think it would be better with tubeless tyres. But I bet they will be expensive

Nealh that link you posted above

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402992602530?epid=890754497&_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item5dd43b1da2:g:IPQAAOSwDFdaYfaw&amdata=enc:AQAGAAAA4F1wA0hSCXa7YN63jHNrSErl+MTocQhtXZVjyIb7LzRUC+ELk9c4H+upIBOaFuMo1z5/diZMeQ38Npgukc23YGX9bz50eFG+iG+lI8Oh19E2ExEzHqYtU6hXvz6lvii8CB10R98vZ1RqS5y8ioUqM84lVJbCUL7RA6wLIDVLR2qceman16KQhgJNOIvOj3a2qybsDjFwPLbZxW57ZdSqvEZzOLbn408cAtB+4ivMCYUippJbUiLoN6rMN/i4qX2AcOS9ziel2ilbL3tJu3vEUnO2X79TSW0wQ+HxcFbWwArp|tkp:BFBMvMqpjPxf

it says it can be used on tube and tubeless tyres so would it be ok if I used it on this tyre saves removing it, like if i fill it from valve, then inflate it should seal tube with puncture yeah

Last edited:

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
Well Im not 100% yet but it does seem the tyre has a tube, but its so hard to lever off near valve. I tried a long screw driver. but still cant see enough. so looks as if Im gonna have to remove wheel etc. the tyre says 16x250 But I dont know if I will cause damage to rim but trying a long screwdriver. but I have to get tube out thats if there is a tube. But Im sure I could see a bit of one when I levered up near valve. the valve isnt straight which would have made it easier to remove its angled

I think it would be better with tubeless tyres. But I bet they will be expensive

Nealh that link you posted above

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402992602530?epid=890754497&_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item5dd43b1da2:g:IPQAAOSwDFdaYfaw&amdata=enc:AQAGAAAA4F1wA0hSCXa7YN63jHNrSErl+MTocQhtXZVjyIb7LzRUC+ELk9c4H+upIBOaFuMo1z5/diZMeQ38Npgukc23YGX9bz50eFG+iG+lI8Oh19E2ExEzHqYtU6hXvz6lvii8CB10R98vZ1RqS5y8ioUqM84lVJbCUL7RA6wLIDVLR2qceman16KQhgJNOIvOj3a2qybsDjFwPLbZxW57ZdSqvEZzOLbn408cAtB+4ivMCYUippJbUiLoN6rMN/i4qX2AcOS9ziel2ilbL3tJu3vEUnO2X79TSW0wQ+HxcFbWwArp|tkp:BFBMvMqpjPxf

it says it can be used on tube and tubeless tyres so would it be ok if I used it on this tyre saves removing it, like if i fill it from valve, then inflate it should seal tube with puncture yeah
Do not use a screwdriver as a tyre lever, totally the wrong tool and can damage the rim or the inner tube.

Use a proper tyre lever, it’s much safer for the rim, tube and yourself.

If you can’t get the tyre off take it to KwikFit or similar and let them deal with it. It won’t be too expensive for a repair.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Cheapo metal tyre levers (for bicycles) sold as strong (the ones I bought were very thick and strong), can be terrible, because they often have too rough a finish to be safe in contact with inner tubes, plus they're so strong you risk bending (also sctatching) the rims (at least that's true of bicycle rims). I've switched to strong nylon tyre levers, but a decent smooth but strong blunt plastic pry of some sort, would also be a safer option IMHO, and patience. If the tyres are tubeless, sounds like it'll take freaking ages to work the tyres loose.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Do not use a screwdriver as a tyre lever, totally the wrong tool and can damage the rim or the inner tube.

Use a proper tyre lever, it’s much safer for the rim, tube and yourself.

If you can’t get the tyre off take it to KwikFit or similar and let them deal with it. It won’t be too expensive for a repair.
Well the only tyre levers I have are just for a normal bike. I will see how I get on when I have wheel off. I was hoping that sealant would fix my tube what Nealh suggested what is used on tractors. Will see what Nealh says

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
So, is the valve loose in the wheel rim or not?
Yes it is loose, so obvious its a tube. But I am going to have to remove wires at junction board to motor. Which is under the seat so that also has to be removed. chain has to come off, wheel nuts etc. then also will have to remove motor from wheel, as cant do much with motor inside tyre. plus if say I did take tyre to a garage, its much lighter to carry than with the motor. so this is why I thought about that sealant what Nealh suggested, But He maybe referrin to just Tubeless tyres. it would make it much easier to use that sealant.

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
Yes it is loose, so obvious its a tube. But I am going to have to remove wires at junction board to motor. Which is under the seat so that also has to be removed. chain has to come off, wheel nuts etc. then also will have to remove motor from wheel, as cant do much with motor inside tyre. plus if say I did take tyre to a garage, its much lighter to carry than with the motor. so this is why I thought about that sealant what Nealh suggested, But He maybe referrin to just Tubeless tyres. it would make it much easier to use that sealant.

It’s not only the case of repairing the tube via a patch or sealant, but also checking what caused the puncture. For example, you may have a thorn, nail or similar that caused it which may still be in there.

As previously mentioned, it would be easier, once off the moped, to take it to a tyre place for them to check and repair it. The sealant can then added to prevent further punctures.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
It’s not only the case of repairing the tube via a patch or sealant, but also checking what caused the puncture. For example, you may have a thorn, nail or similar that caused it which may still be in there.

As previously mentioned, it would be easier, once off the moped, to take it to a tyre place for them to check and repair it. The sealant can then added to prevent further punctures.
Well I think once I have removed wheel and everything else. I maybe able to remove tube, and patch it. if not will of course take it to a tyre place. But like I said there is a lot to do to get wheel off, But hey I have done it several times now. so Im keyed up on removing the motor from wheel. it has strong magnets, but I just bang wheel on concrete. via axle ends to remove it. also use a gear puller then like you said once puncture is repaired and check inside of tyre I will then add that sealant what Nealh suggested.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Ok update on moped back wheel I have removed it, and also removed the motor, so hopefully now It will be much easier to take off tyre to check tube and also inside tyre. its a lot lighter with motor removed, and if I cant get tyre off using strong levers. and will also protect the rims too. I will just take it to a garage, as its not that heavy now. But Im sure I can get that tyre off myself. I think I did mention its a 16x250 tyre

Ive just ordered these from ebay so they should lever off tyre

Last edited: