Broken control console bracket

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Broken control console bracket.

Obviously I'm going to speak to the dealer about ordering up a replacement item, but my question is... To save future expense and what will inevitably be a long wait should it break again, is there a generic replacement item?
The main plug contains 5 pins and I'm guessing that the two remaining wires which connect to the brakes could perhaps just be dumped?*

* On the basis of the bikes mythological regen.

Last edited:

El Champiero

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2013
Bristol
It looks like a bespoke connector specially made for the device. I don't know what the generic name for these type of ball connector things is. The Bosch system uses these little ball things in a circular configuration for the speedo display connector.

I guess you could take the connector and the associated socket to RS Components. They might be able to then tell you what the generic connector thing is called which may then help to source a replacement.

Or maybe one or two releasable zip ties to hold the connector in place will be a reasonable fix?

If you can't find a replacement connector then it might be possible to solder in a new socket and use a new standard connector part - thought that may well be very fiddly to do requiring lots of patience.

D

Deleted member 4366

The LCDs that I've seen have 5 or 6 wires:
36v to the LCD
36v back to the controller when LCD is on
Ground
TX
RX
36v for lights

Data is transferred between the controller and LCD for speed display and PAS level selection. The brake wires normally run direct to the controller, which sends data (via RX) to the LCD to tell it to display the brake symbol.

A generic LCD might work if you can figure out what wire does what. How many pins are there in the connector that runs down to the controller?

El Champiero

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2013
Bristol
Just had another look at the photos. It might be possible to attach the socket part (where the clamp is broken) to say, an aftermarket light handlebar clamp. I know that Cateye sell aftermarket front light clamps so perhaps this might be a viable option using some creative engineering.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
How many pins are there in the connector that runs down to the controller?
Thanks Dave, there are five pins in the main threaded connector.

Or maybe one or two releasable zip ties to hold the connector in place will be a reasonable fix?
That is exactly what I have done this morning. The console slides onto the bracket, and the slide section has also for some reason broken and is spreading the console/bracket apart. I hadn't realised this until today, and it certainly goes along way to explain why I was getting so many fault codes. The console had just been moving sideways and water had also bee getting in. I've now put cable ties around it, and run a bead of silicon around the outside as well.

I've learnt that this issue is a very common issue, so whether it could be considered a design fault I don't know.

I can't blame BH for mine cracking though, as I put bar ends onto the bike and as the bars are tapered, I stupidly fractionally over tightened one of the two clamp screws and put a hairline crack in the bracket. Over time this has obviously just got worse. Whether other peoples brackets have been cracked in the same way from new, I couldn't say.

melb-ourne

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 3, 2013
melb, australia
I snapped the latch that holds the lcd to the bracket... so once in awhile the lcd fly off the bike...lol... good job BH.

I rarely use the bike anymore... prefer the bafang crank at 32-40kph.