Broken my 'new to me' Wisper bike after 5 minutes

crystaljohn

Pedelecer
May 29, 2019
Yes. I installed the new controller and it's working.
I found then that the existing throttle isn't working though. I temporarily substituted an old throttle into the bike and that seems to work o. k .
It seems that the throttle hall sensor isn't working-so I deduce that the mishap I had has somehow broken that too. I have ordered some new hall senors,but have had problems replacing one of them into the existing throttle due to the poor design of the throttle. I'm still trying though. I am awaiting delivery of a' Helping hands vice' to enable me to solder the tiny throttle wires onto the hall sensors ( it's a fiddly job). Once I have done this I hope to be doing an update soon informing that it's all sorted now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grebacwhite

crystaljohn

Pedelecer
May 29, 2019
The bike is working perfectly now it has the controller renewed.
I havn't had any luck with replacing the throttle Hall sensor. I've tried 3 times without any success. The sensor I have used is a 41F which is a bipolar sensor. I have tried to test a couple of the sensors by connecting them to a 5volt supply, and then meausuring the signal voltage by bringing a magnet into close proximity to it, but despite several attempts , using 4 of the 5 sensors I bought new, I havn't had any rise in signal voltage. I have ordered another left handed half throttle to replace the existing faultly throttle who's hall sensor is faulty.

I very much appreciate the help given to me by Vfr400 and Nealh. Your time and experience is invaluable. It's almost impossible as an amateur to know how to try to fix an ebike ,and helping someone over the internet and diagnosing what's wrong is so difficult as oppossed to having the bike in front of you.

Reactions: flecc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The bike is working perfectly now it has the controller renewed.
I havn't had any luck with replacing the throttle Hall sensor. I've tried 3 times without any success. The sensor I have used is a 41F which is a bipolar sensor. I have tried to test a couple of the sensors by connecting them to a 5volt supply, and then meausuring the signal voltage by bringing a magnet into close proximity to it, but despite several attempts , using 4 of the 5 sensors I bought new, I havn't had any rise in signal voltage. I have ordered another left handed half throttle to replace the existing faultly throttle who's hall sensor is faulty.

I very much appreciate the help given to me by Vfr400 and Nealh. Your time and experience is invaluable. It's almost impossible as an amateur to know how to try to fix an ebike ,and helping someone over the internet and diagnosing what's wrong is so difficult as oppossed to having the bike in front of you.
That's the wrong type of hall sensor.

You need an SS49 for the throttle, which is linear type.

SS41 is for motor, PAS and brakes. Bipolar means on or off.

Reactions: crystaljohn

crystaljohn

Pedelecer
May 29, 2019
Thanks vfr400- got it.
Learning all the time!

Just checked my ebay account, I did order the SS49. I was sent the SS41. I didn't check before I got stuck in!

Last edited:

crystaljohn

Pedelecer
May 29, 2019
Just received this reply; after emailing the vendor of the hall sensors:

New message from: torquetech-ebike (11,006)

Hi John

May I offer my sincerest apologies for the error. I hope you have not been too inconvenienced as a result.

The 41F hall effect sensors that you have received are intended for use in brushless motors and are not suitable for throttle repairs.

I will send you the correct 49E hall effect sensors in the next available postal collection on Monday morning and there is no need for any additional payment.

Thanks for your understanding.

Kind Regards,

Dan

Reactions: Giocast

crystaljohn

Pedelecer
May 29, 2019
Did it fix the problem John?

Yes, all fixed now. Not easy to fit the new 'Correct' Hall sensor to the throttle ( apalling bit of cheapskate design) .

Now enjoying what a great bike the Wisper 905 classic is. Works very well for me, as with my knackered lungs I can do some peddalling ,and then when I can't pedal any further I can take advantage of using the throttle to enable me to get my breath back. I find the disc brakes a revelation, they work very well and have a high quality feel to them as does the rest of the bike. Gear change is smooth and positive, and with judicious use of the assistance levels available and the choice of the right gear I'm surprised how far I can travel. I mostly go out with a route in mind then deviate from that route as I'm enjoying it so much I just want to continue.