Broken spokes

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Just broke 2 more after years of no problems because I regularly ping, I suspect that it is metal fatigue, both spokes as usual, went at the J bend.
I hear that it can be helpful to oil the bend so that the spoke can make minute movements.
But because of the need to remove the tyre etc. to replace a spoke, I wondered why not have straight spokes, threaded at each end (opposite turning) and have substantial ferrules at the hub end as well as at the rim.
This would obviate the J bend which seems to be the weakest part.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I replace the odd spokei if needed with wheel in situ and tyre on, the only thing that may prevent this is a larger disc rotor or cassette.
With a bit of practice and manipulate a spoke can be replaced once unthreaded in about a minute.​

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I replace the odd spokei if needed with wheel in situ and tyre on, the only thing that may prevent this is a larger disc rotor or cassette.
With a bit of practice and manipulate a spoke can be replaced once unthreaded in about a minute.​
Which invites the reply, 'Just how long are your spokes?'
Mine actually go inside the hole in the rim.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
When I had a problem with the motor on my Oxygen Emate City bike I was sent a new motor wheel by Andrew at Oxygen free of charge.

That motor wheel began to break spokes and I became a dab hand at taking spokes from the old wheel and replacing any broken spokes on the new wheel.

I always managed to take the old spoke off and thread the new spoke on with the wheel in situation thank goodness.

That wheel is still working on the bike five years later but is quite wonky, far from perfectly true, but I just make sure all the spokes are under tension and the wheel as round as I can manage.

Although I have not broken a spoke for a while now I still have a couple of spar spokes attached to the rear rack and a spoke spanner in my tool bag.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
I had problems with broken spokes and had my wheel rebuilt by
Kendals cycles of Castleford.
This was ten years ago and have not had one since.