Brompton conversion... would this Whoosh kit work?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there's really no need for dramatic. We're friends.
Put yourself in the place of the supplier of the kit which you advised overvolting or increase current. If it goes pear shaped, would you pay for another kit out of your pocket?

Reactions: KirstinS

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
there's really no need for dramatic. We're friends.
Put yourself in the place of the supplier of the kit which you advised overvolting or increase current. If it goes pear shaped, would you pay for another kit out of your pocket?
I only recommend things that I have a high confidence that they will work without problems. the supplier of the motor is Bafang. That motor can run perfectly happy in a 16" wheel at 48v up to around 20 amps.

Actually, I don't find some of your posts very friendly! You might want to think about that. Live and let live is my motto.

• Dislike
Reactions: Amoto65

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
even if the supplier's last name is Mr Royce, it does not change the fact that a responsible supplier tries his hardest to make the product as reliable as possible so that his customer can have full confidence that his bike is not going to pack up in a cold and wet evening.
You are a good soul, why would you want to make a reliable kit less reliable?

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
Checked with Nano's today and they confirmed they do still use the Tongxin motor, whilst adding that it has been improved over the years. As it's not a Bafang as previously discussed, I would still wonder at the wisdom of "hotting it up" though..

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I only recommend things that I have a high confidence that they will work without problems. the supplier of the motor is Bafang. That motor can run perfectly happy in a 16" wheel at 48v up to around 20 amps.

Actually, I don't find some of your posts very friendly! You might want to think about that. Live and let live is my motto.
Thats a bit much fella, isn't it? I hate weighing into disagreements between folk I respect really super highly.

But this feels a little unnecessarily confrontational without due cause. Sorry if you feel differently on this one

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thats a bit much fella, isn't it? I hate weighing into disagreements between folk I respect really super highly.

But this feels a little unnecessarily confrontational without due cause. Sorry if you feel differently on this one
OK, I'll bugger off for another 6 months and leave you to the troll. I don't like to hurt people's feelings. No more need for the snowflakes to melt either when anybody mentions 16 mph.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
OK, I'll bugger off for another 6 months and leave you to the troll. I don't like to hurt people's feelings. No more need for the snowflakes to melt either when anybody mentions 16 mph.
there is really no need. You are a force for good.
But please see from the point of view of the suppliers.
Would you like to see someone advising a customers of yours overvolting or increasing the current or derestrict your kit?
Even if the suppliers is mine from China. Everytime I ask them to label their beefier motor with 250W, I have to tell them which controller and maximum current rating I am pairing their motor with.

DBrown67

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2017
Leeds
Hmmm... that got a bit feisty in my absence :(

Anyway... I took delivery of my lovely B75 yesterday. For now I've changed the chainring to a 39t to lower the gearing as there are a couple of hills nearby that I regularly need to climb. But as far as an electric kit goes am I better off with the lower gearing or would I be better to put the original 44t chainring back on (or even a 50t that usually comes as standard on a Brommie)? Or does it simply not matter?

As mentioned before top speed is not my priority, I want torque for the hills. Lower gearing would allow the motor to run faster and therefore at a lower current but I am very inexperienced with electric kits so don't know for sure.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it does not matter. It does not affect the torque when riding uphill.
There is no throttle with my kit for the Brompton, you can only ride as fast as you can pedal.
On a flat road, the original chainring would let you pedal up to about 17-18mph if derestricted, perfect for the Q70 motor.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
There is no need vfr, you have my top respect as I have often said and you know.

You mention the troll which is pertinent. I just dont like to see needless confrontation / division between top, skilled and knowledgable contributors.

When ire is earned, Ive zero issue with it being delivered!

Best regards
K