Brompton - dealer pedelec conversion with torque sensor controller?

DABs

Just Joined
Nov 20, 2014
Does the above exist in the UK? I want to be able to adjust the degree of assistance directly, not merely select a speed as long as the pedals are turning.

Thanks,

Dave

DABs

Just Joined
Nov 20, 2014
And a supplementary. Does anyone know Brompton's current position on their own e-bike? Over 5 years ago they said:
"But the reconsolidation of the Ultra Motor team is now complete and the development process is back on track. We remain committed to bringing the eBrompton to market on a test basis in late 2012"

And when that date came and went they said over 2 years ago:
"we will only say that we remain fully committed to bringing an eBrompton to market and that you will be among the first to get a chance to try it."

What salary is the eBrompton Project Manager on? :)

Dave

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Does the above exist in the UK? I want to be able to adjust the degree of assistance directly, not merely select a speed as long as the pedals are turning.

Thanks,

Dave
BMS Battery offer a torque sensor system which involves changing the BB, whether this fits the Brompton you would have to take some measurements and then ask Jack Xie if theirs would be a suitable match.

http://www.bmsbattery.com/torque-sensor/689-b-b-torque-sensor.html

I can find no current news on the eBrompton other than my previous posts - quite a long running mystery!

Last edited:
Reactions: DABs

DABs

Just Joined
Nov 20, 2014
Bump! Perhaps I'll see what nano are up to, but don't want 6 fixed speeds :-(

Dave

DABs

Just Joined
Nov 20, 2014
I've asked nano, transport shop and freedombikes. Don't like the others.

Warranty not a problem for me, but 2 years on, it would be nice to have a meaningful statement from Brompton other than to rubbish what else is out there. It's not rocket science. Ohms law, Faraday's law, torque sensor, standard battery technology, control electronics, standard engineering & packaging and job done. Quite why they are apparently on a 10 year mission I have no idea.

Dave

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Quite why they are apparently on a 10 year mission I have no idea.

Dave
I suspect Brompton in their ignorance and arrogance thought they could reinvent ebike systems and come up with the Holy Grail of light weight, stealth, long range and high power.

As you say, they - or anybody else - cannot do that.

Brompton are probably reluctant to bring out what would be no more than a factory branded Sparticle or Nano kit.

I hope they can work some magic, technological progress would ultimately help all ebike users, not just those who want an eBrompton.