Brompton Electric Now In Newcastle

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Winlaton Mill 6 miles from Newcastle
Cotswold Outdoor shop in Northumberland Street now have a Brompton Electric demo bike. It is the 6 speed version with M bars. To have a trial for 30 minutes ! . You leave your debit card and a £1 payment will be taken. If the bike is not returned, you pay £2,600 the full cost. I assume you need this amount in your account.

On ordering, delivery is stated at 3-4 months.

If anybody has a go, please consider giving feedback here. Thanks.

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
B107312B-9A38-45BA-93F9-5D6028EA88CE.jpeg I went on the initial waiting list and got mine 10 days ago from Cycle Heaven in York, which at the time was the most northerly dealer part of the “initial order” batch.
I have owned two crank driven ebikes, both Bosch, one a KTM and the other a Cube. The Cube was too heavy as I’m not supposed to lift heavy objects, so I sold it to a neighbour and bought a standard Brompton. A month after I bought it I got an email asking if I wanted to go on the waiting list. I really missed the electric assistance ...so.... I went to York and test rode the electric one an loved it. I’m now the proud owner of a 6 speed electric Brompton with reduced gearing for the hilly area I live in.
The power comes in differently than a crank motor, so I’m trying not to get too much wheel spin Before I get used to it! I will write a full report after I’ve done more miles.

Reactions: flecc

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Thanks BigG. Sounds promising so far.County Durham is not flat, especially away from the coast.

I have two standard Bromptons with reduced gearing, more so than Brompton provide. I have changed the crank on one to 34 tooth using only the inner cog of a Shimano Alivio crankset. This gives a low bottom gear and still enough range, as the 6th is very high anyway. The other has a 38 tooth Stronglight chainring which fits onto the later Brompton crank. Cost about £18 from Spa Cycles Harrogate. From memory Brompton lowered gearing option is still 44 tooth.

I wonder if you are far from me ?

Looking forward to your updates.

Enjoy your riding.

Reactions: BigG

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Hello again Big G,

I wonder if you have had the chance to give your Brompton a few more rides yet ?

If so, any more comments ?

I wish Cotswold had a better trial arrangement. Half an hour in central Newcastle ? I suppose a trip up Dean Street would test the hill climbing though.

A day or weekend would be far better, to look at the range as well.

Enjoy your rides .