Brompton motors - rims requiring drilling out

Swytch Bike

Trade Member
Sep 10, 2014
HI all
We have a batch of 16" 85mm dropout motors to sell for use with Bromptons

They were delivered with the wrong hole size in the rim, so the brompton inner tube won't poke through

We need them drilled out - anyone got suggestions for who would be able to do this on business terms at a good rate?

Any customers who want a discounted Brompton kit and are willing to drill out themselves, let us know!

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
How many rims are we talking about? It wouldn't take too long to enlarge the valve hole on a couple of hundred rims with a hand-held electric drill.

D

Deleted member 4366

Jeez, I did mine with a Black and Decker. It's only one hole. Surely, you could do the whole lot in about 5 minutes.

Swytch Bike

Trade Member
Sep 10, 2014
Yes - you're absolutely right it is a really quick job, only myself and anyone else technical are not around near the Warehouse in Norwich until 2 weeks time. So we are looking for someone to accept a delivery of all the motors, drill the holes, and then we will arrange collection.

We have a back-log of orders so hence looking for a quick fix - hands up anyone who wants to quote for this. There are a total of 15 motors, it would be 1 pallet delivered and collected.

PS: reason we are asking on here is that I would trust a pedelecer to do a good job much more than a general DIY handyman, who would also probably overcharge

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
15 motors!!! That's no more than a 10 minute job including de-burring. A DIY task if ever I heard one. Surely there's somebody around capable of doing it (even an UNTRAINED chimp could manage it).

In all seriousness though, I can't see a semi-competent general purpose odd-job man/woman screwing it up.

Last edited:

Swytch Bike

Trade Member
Sep 10, 2014
Fair enough - we would rather pay extra to have it done properly than take a risk on a general handyman or DIYer because when people get a Brompton kit they expect it to be perfect.

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't forget to add swarf removal to the job spec.

Reactions: D C